PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully a simple question on 660 GPS

teninospyder
10-04-2020, 09:36 AM
Sorry for my inability to understand the manual on this unit but...............:roflblack: We like to take rides and not know where to at the start.:dontknow:
What do I have to do to have the 660 record our actual route from our ride? :dontknow: Just ignore it asking for address or location or ....? Just turn it on and go?:banghead:
Any help appreciated. :thumbup:

Lew L
10-04-2020, 10:46 AM
Not sure exactly what you mean?? do you want to record where you went?? I don't think the 660 will do that . BUT there is an app for that. Try " map my ride" maybe. Our 660LM seems to do what we want---- but we often have paper maps to plan trips.

Lew L

JayBros
10-04-2020, 11:57 AM
Your device will not remember where you went unless you give it a destination point. When you turn on your Spyder the GPS boots up, acquires some satellites and shows you where you are on the map loaded in the device. Until you give it a destination it doesn't know where you are going so it can't compile any lat/long information about your travels that it can save; it can only show you where you are. You might consider calling Garmin Support at 800-800-1020 and asking them how to skin your cat. The technicians are very helpful and they have a call-back function so you don't have to wait on Hold for any length of time.

teninospyder
10-04-2020, 12:06 PM
Not sure exactly what you mean?? do you want to record where you went?? I don't think the 660 will do that . BUT there is an app for that. Try " map my ride" maybe. Our 660LM seems to do what we want---- but we often have paper maps to plan trips.

Lew L
Thanks for the input Lew. I guess my question is....if I just turn on the Garmin when I get on the Spyder, and I don't program in any particular destination, does it start recording details of the route we actually take on our ride or doesn't it record anything unless I "put something in" as a destination? In this case I "think" it records my actual route (with no further input required) until it is shut down, but I haven't actually been able yet to confirm it on Basecamp.

Possible
10-04-2020, 12:26 PM
Is this a Zumo 660? If so this is from Garmin: "And when you’ve returned home, you can review your rides in Google™ Earth."

I can pull up past routes/rides on my Nuvi 2539 using Basecamp.

billythekidd
10-04-2020, 12:55 PM
I believe the tracking function has a couple of benefits. Mine does track where I drive even without a route planned as you mentioned. When you get home you can download those tracks to the PC/Mac and if you want plan a route from that track. For hand held units it is very useful for back tracking... (could be used for that if one gets lost also).

There have been a couple of times where someone would ask... where was that xxx on the ride today... You can look at the map in basecamp and see exactly where that was on the route you rode today.

On a side note... I have upgraded from the 660 to the 595LM... Wow, what a difference.

Anyway... Have fun.

Bfromla
10-04-2020, 01:20 PM
There s a track back feature under “where to” (last page last item) pair of feet for icon, don’t know how long it records or if gas stops cause reset. Haven’t tried it much mine does leave a colorful trail on the screen whoever I go blue for current route black for older, purple is for the programmed destination. When first got it made a point to try coloring all the streets within view on the screen nojoke :riding::riding:
Also: contact Garmin maybe they have more info like what setting to enable.

billybovine
10-04-2020, 01:33 PM
It tracks where you go and remembers until you clear it. As long as the unit is on. At least how I remember how it works. It's been a while since I had one.

JayBros
10-04-2020, 03:54 PM
I stand corrected in my post #3, at least regarding my 590. I rode home from a BaseCamp planned ride on roads I was totally familiar with following a lunch and then a gas stop after the planned route was complete. I connected my Zumo to my computer, opened BaseCamp and found the last active log of the day from my lunch stop to home, a black track on all the roads I used. BaseCamp would not however allow me to create a route from the log.

Garydj
10-04-2020, 05:48 PM
On the Zumo 660, go to tools, My Data, Manage Trip logs, Current Trip Log. There you will see a series of date-time segments and a View all segments option. These can be made into routes if you choose. Basemap will also show these, but it can be done on the device alone too.

teninospyder
10-04-2020, 06:32 PM
I really appreciate all your inputs on this topic. :clap::thumbup: I had been getting the logs after I rode - even if I didn't put in a destination, but in using Basecamp after that, I had issues with what I was doing and started to question what was really OK to do.:banghead::banghead: SOME of "my sanity" concerns lately have been alleviated by all of your you.:roflblack::roflblack: :thumbup::thumbup:

Bfromla
10-04-2020, 07:20 PM
Definitely a learning curve to them & then there’s:barf: updates to remind you “only think your learning”:roflblack::popcorn::roflblack::chill:

billythekidd
10-05-2020, 08:09 AM
I stand corrected in my post #3, at least regarding my 590. I rode home from a BaseCamp planned ride on roads I was totally familiar with following a lunch and then a gas stop after the planned route was complete. I connected my Zumo to my computer, opened BaseCamp and found the last active log of the day from my lunch stop to home, a black track on all the roads I used. BaseCamp would not however allow me to create a route from the log.

I am not sure, but did you try this... on the menu there is an option to create route from selected track... https://help.routeyou.com/en/topic/view/185/track-route-conversion

Steve W.
10-05-2020, 08:40 AM
The more I see about problems with the Zumos, the more I like my Nuvi.

Just a basic Nuvi 1450. Not waterproof, but a zip-loc bag fits over it when necessary. Touch screen still works under the bag.

I have never even seen a Zumo 660, let alone played with one, but there should be an option to show/hide your tracks. On my Nuvi, it is Tools/Settings/Map/Trip Log - show/hide. The menu path on your Zumo is likely different.

ARtraveler
10-05-2020, 10:36 AM
There is for sure a "learning curve" with these devices. I have a Garmin DriveSmart 65 and after a year and a half, am slowly getting it figured out. I use it when driving the Spyder about 75% of the time now.

Wmoater
10-05-2020, 11:48 AM
I am the same way most of the time. I don’t have a set map or plan I have a 590 but it should work the same I believe. Go under apps>tracks> active> delete. Answer yes. Now hit the back button, back button and then click on map icon on the right side. Drive wherever you want. When you are done for the day or the next day you can go back to tracks the same way above and now save track AS route or trip. Give it a name. Now if you don’t want directions simply open the apps> trips or routes depends of which you have> click on the name and “show on map”. It will show where you currently are on the map and the route you want in blue. simply trace the trip. I do that all the time if I really like a specific route. The garmin will not talk. You can zoom in or out and it shows the trip in the color you set it in. I like blue since most of the roads are brown red and black.

teninospyder
10-05-2020, 06:37 PM
I am the same way most of the time. I don’t have a set map or plan I have a 590 but it should work the same I believe. Go under apps>tracks> active> delete. Answer yes. Now hit the back button, back button and then click on map icon on the right side. Drive wherever you want. When you are done for the day or the next day you can go back to tracks the same way above and now save track AS route or trip. Give it a name. Now if you don’t want directions simply open the apps> trips or routes depends of which you have> click on the name and “show on map”. It will show where you currently are on the map and the route you want in blue. simply trace the trip. I do that all the time if I really like a specific route. The garmin will not talk. You can zoom in or out and it shows the trip in the color you set it in. I like blue since most of the roads are brown red and black.

Got it ! Thanks. This is basically what I was doing before I got overly concerned I was doing something wrong :banghead::banghead:. there was a short trip where I thought the unit was on, but after the trip nothing showed up. So I "naturally figured" the unit "might not work as I had thought it would :yikes:. Being the "overthinker" I am (and some here can attest to that) , I read and reread the manual and visited youtube for an answer, all to no avail :dontknow:. Everyone here has provided me with the info I needed and I really thank you ALL :yes::yes::clap::clap::bowdown::thumbup::thumbup:
Ride and STAY SAFE