PDA

View Full Version : 15 days and 1352 miles in and learning

ButterSmooth
09-23-2020, 06:23 PM
On my ride yesterday I went through a pot hole and the rear suspension bottomed out. My thought was, "I don't know what the shock pressure is, but I'm going to increase by 5# or so." So today I located the awful position of the valve and got out the good tire gauge. 15# -- What! Fired up the compressor and set the regulator to 55#, and watched the back of the Spyder stand up to full shock extension. It's never looked like that before. After some repetitive filling/checking(and losing air) I stopped with a good check at 52#. With the dealer supplied 15# the rear end was never at full extension. The next ride is going to be interesting; With the reduced rake and trail the steering may be a little quicker and less heavy. What other things has the dealer botched, that I now need to check?

2020 RT

safecracker
09-23-2020, 06:26 PM
Since yours is a RT, you will have to keep an eye on it from time to time. Glad you found it and added air.

ButterSmooth
09-23-2020, 06:32 PM
It's pretty easy to check with a bounce on the rear. That will always be a pre-ride check for me now. Like I said, learning.

safecracker
09-23-2020, 08:00 PM
Thst is what i do. Push down on rear of Spyder...

JayBros
09-23-2020, 08:09 PM
Is there not a decal under the seat with the same pressures that show on pg 50 of your operator's guide?

ButterSmooth
09-23-2020, 08:47 PM
Is there not a decal under the seat with the same pressures that show on pg 50 of your operator's guide?

Of course there is. Too bad the dealer didn't see it. As said, I'm 15 days in and learning about a new machine -- today was my first venture into the rear shock. It will be a long time before everything I should know is at my command. I didn't have any problem understanding the manual or the sticker, I just had higher expectations of the dealers pre-delivery inspection. The schrader valve was a bit of a pain to get to, though. I Like the Anchor and Globe.

Mikey
09-24-2020, 05:52 AM
Of course there is. Too bad the dealer didn't see it. As said, I'm 15 days in and learning about a new machine -- today was my first venture into the rear shock. It will be a long time before everything I should know is at my command. I didn't have any problem understanding the manual or the sticker, I just had higher expectations of the dealers pre-delivery inspection. The schrader valve was a bit of a pain to get to, though. I Like the Anchor and Globe.

Until you have a good clue about your dealer, don't leave anything unturned! Double check every thing that should be on your check list, some dealers just want to get you out the door and don't check crap!!! Oh and just to warn you that bag is vey small and a little go's a long way, watch the max pressure, don't over inflate. Some times I think they would be smart to give us a small bike pump to inflate that bag, like they do with some snowmobile shocks, works well on them, and don't take up much space it the trunk to store!