PDA

View Full Version : New BRP Fan

Putt-Putt
08-20-2009, 06:33 PM
Has anyone heard of BRP having or coming out with a new fan to cool the radiator? I heard somewhere that someone was getting a new fan that was to be more efficient at cooling. Keeping the temps down better. :dontknow: I think it was on spyder talk.

BajaRon
08-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Has anyone heard of BRP having or coming out with a new fan to cool the radiator? I heard somewhere that someone was getting a new fan that was to be more efficient at cooling. Keeping the temps down better. :dontknow: I think it was on spyder talk.

There are some pretty high tech, high volume fans out there. Not sure what the CFM is on our current fan. But if we could move more air it might make a difference.

pjense2002
08-20-2009, 08:09 PM
i wonder if anyone has looked for a thicker alum. radiator but i bet that fan upgrade would be an easy find
:sour:

BajaRon
08-20-2009, 08:23 PM
i wonder if anyone has looked for a thicker alum. radiator but i bet that fan upgrade would be an easy find
:sour:

I've seen a number of studies that showed thicker doesn't help nearly as much as more frontal surface area.

I can't remember the exact specs but a typical 3 core was something like 20% more efficient than a 2 core even though it added 50% more surface area.

But adding the same amount of frontal surface area was something like 45% more efficient.

A 4 core radiator was less than 10% more efficient than the 3 core if I remember correctly.

Lamonster
08-20-2009, 08:33 PM
I don't see the need if these temps are correct.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13512

bone crusher
08-20-2009, 08:36 PM
I don't see the need if these temps are correct.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13512

I agree...the bike doesn't have a temp issue provided the fan works...those with harleys really pay the price for heat but our Spyders do quite well...

Putt-Putt
08-20-2009, 08:46 PM
I was just woundering because the way it was said it implied that BRP was making this new fan. The owner was getting it from the dealer as update I believe. :dontknow:

Trickie Dick
08-20-2009, 08:53 PM
I wish they would put that effort into figuring out a way to redirect the fan so it doesn't cook our feet:yikes:

Pilo
08-20-2009, 08:58 PM
There are some pretty high tech, high volume fans out there. Not sure what the CFM is on our current fan. But if we could move more air it might make a difference.

Hey Baja:

What about a fan for the oil radiator?

Any room behind it to make it feasible?

Will it really improve overall cooling?

Just my 2 cents... :D

Saludos from an Argie in Venezuela

NancysToy
08-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Hey Baja:

Oil cooler fans can be helpful. My BMW has one. The stock R1100RTs had only the standard oil radiator, but the police bikes like mine had a thermostat controlled fan. Doesn't kick in until very high heat, but helps in slow traffic. Of course the BMW RT is air/oil cooled...not water cooled like the Spyder.

Difficulties for the Spyder include the fact that the water cooling is probably more efficient, partly due to a higher flow rate. Also, there is precious little room on the left side to move the air, and there aren't large vents in the Tupperware, like on the right. The oil tank would be in the way of the air flow, too.

Rando
08-21-2009, 05:30 AM
I wish they would put that effort into figuring out a way to redirect the fan so it doesn't cook our feet:yikes:I agree! I have the the ISCI footboards and the heat with the new foot position is terrible! I thought someone posted about an OEM fan deflector that is now standard on the newer Spyders?

BajaRon
08-21-2009, 05:50 AM
Hey Baja:

That would normally be a great idea. Lamont tried it on his but it made no noticable difference. It seems the oil just doesn't get all that hot.

With the numbers that Lamont is getting with his gauges it looks like the Spyder isn't getting as hot as we thought at 5 or even 6 bars.

Original numbers we got were about 10~15 degrees higher for the same bar count.

Some of it may be psychological as we feel a lot more of the heat on the Spyder than we do on a motorcycle.

Lamonster
08-21-2009, 06:26 AM
Hey Baja:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=5564

NancysToy
08-21-2009, 07:13 AM
Some of it may be psychological as we feel a lot more of the heat on the Spyder than we do on a motorcycle.
:agree:

BRPjunkie
08-21-2009, 08:07 AM
:agree:

I have felt from the start that the temp guage was almost too much information. Never had a bike before with a temp guage and never worried about heat unless actually stuck in traffic for road work, traffic jam, etc. Then I would just shut it down. During our Natchez Trace ride in LA & MS, the temp guage created a target fixation as that was all I looked at. I know some have had overheating and limp mode, etc, but many of those may have been relay or other component failure. BRP has designed many water cooled engines with some pretty confined locations and it's hard to believe that they could have missed the mark on this as badly as we may have originally thought. Not saying that they got it perfect, but the actual number of overheated Spyders that were the result of bad cooling system design and not failed relays, failed fan, failed sensor, low coolant, loose coolant caps, etc. is probably small.

BajaRon
08-21-2009, 09:30 AM
I have felt from the start that the temp guage was almost too much information. Never had a bike before with a temp guage and never worried about heat unless actually stuck in traffic for road work, traffic jam, etc. Then I would just shut it down. During our Natchez Trace ride in LA & MS, the temp guage created a target fixation as that was all I looked at. I know some have had overheating and limp mode, etc, but many of those may have been relay or other component failure. BRP has designed many water cooled engines with some pretty confined locations and it's hard to believe that they could have missed the mark on this as badly as we may have originally thought. Not saying that they got it perfect, but the actual number of overheated Spyders that were the result of bad cooling system design and not failed relays, failed fan, failed sensor, low coolant, loose coolant caps, etc. is probably small.

:agree: We may be worrying too much about water temp. When you get stuck in traffic and start to feel the oven underneath you and your body starts to bake you naturally look at the temp gauge. When you see it has gone up 2 more bars than what it normally runs you start to think something may be wrong.

Throw in a few "Limp Mode" stories and you've got all you need to start worrying.

I have to say I've never had any trouble and I've never gone over 6 bars. If I didn't have the gauge I'd probably never have thought twice about it.

I used to take a lot of heat from my Valkyrie. With cylinder heads in front of both feet and a whole lot of engine putting off more heat. Sitting stopped got pretty warm. But the Spyder is warmer sitting still than my Valkyrie was.

Putt-Putt
08-21-2009, 04:50 PM
But I'm still woundering if and why BRP is or has come out with a new fan. Because this person was told by the dealer that BRP had a new fan. And I believe they were going to order it.:spyder:
So is there a new fan or not, thats the question. Is there anyway to find out.

Putt-Putt
08-21-2009, 09:15 PM
It's on spyder talk.com----it is verified they are getting a new improved fan from BRP under warrenty.

ataDude
08-21-2009, 09:23 PM
But... in the case of the "new and improved" Gear Position Sensor, it was not. It was only manufactured in the correct way to eliminate the solder issues... and given a new part number.

Just for your consideration.

BeRight
08-21-2009, 09:25 PM
I am still a skeptic. :dontknow: Waiting for the new fan part number. So far no one has been able to produce a BRP part number

spyryder
08-21-2009, 09:31 PM
It's on spyder talk.com----it is verified they are getting a new improved fan from BRP under warrenty.

Maybe they're putting an '09 fan in there. If you check BRP's parts online, the part #'s have changed from '08-09. :dontknow:

BeRight
08-21-2009, 09:33 PM
Maybe they're putting an '09 fan in there. If you check BRP's parts online, the part #'s have changed from '08-09. :dontknow:

Very interesting-you have found something-the poster did indicate that dealer said it would be replaced under warranty.

spyryder
08-21-2009, 10:26 PM
You can see a big difference here in the '08 vs. the '09 fans. :thumbup:

BRPjunkie
08-21-2009, 10:36 PM

Square housing on the new model may have something to do with better efficiency.

BajaRon
08-21-2009, 11:06 PM

The open fan housing (Original) would allow better air flow at speed. The closed housing (New) would reduce flow at speed but give better flow over the radiator fins sitting still or moving slow.

You always give something up to get something. I guess it's a good trade-off.

BRPjunkie
08-21-2009, 11:28 PM
The open fan housing (Original) would allow better air flow at speed. The closed housing (New) would reduce flow at speed but give better flow over the radiator fins sitting still or moving slow.

I'm sure we will find dozens of part changes between the 08 and 09 and we will not see them unless a part fails and we get a new one that looks different. Between the 1988 Sea Doo and 1989 Sea Doo there were over 100 part changes, some just supplier driven and others design driven. The only way I knew it was that I bought an 89 after the 88 and as I worked on them I couldn't believe the number of different parts.

bone crusher
08-22-2009, 12:59 AM

I agree...

Something about a liquid cooled bike over an air cooled anyway. :yes:

Simply put, the Spyder doesn't have a heat issue...try a HD in really hot climates sitting at lights all the time and tell me which bike has a problem...

The Spyder, no matter which fan it has, is vastly superior...

If BRP wants to give me a different fan, so be it...from what I know and now seen with Lamont's tests, our bike runs quite cool...

Putt-Putt
08-22-2009, 11:04 AM
Ummmmm, not for nothing, but, the HD Big Twin is an AIR COOLED ENGINE...... It's supposed to be hot when it's hot out-what's the 'problem'? In what way is the Spyder 'vastly superior'.....:dontknow: I ride both, noticeable heat seems worse on the Spyder to me.......What kind of Harley are you riding?......

:agree: I think there is more heat from the spyder. I wouldn't say the spyder is vastly superior either. I used to hate Harleys, but they have come a long long way from what they used to be. I wouldn't think twice about buying one now.
And if you really want to see a cool running bike; try a BMW (air-oil-cooled). The only bike I know of that you can put your hand on and only be warm right after riding it.

BajaRon
08-22-2009, 05:18 PM
:agree: I think there is more heat from the spyder. I wouldn't say the spyder is vastly superior either. I used to hate Harleys, but they have come a long long way from what they used to be. I wouldn't think twice about buying one now.
And if you really want to see a cool running bike; try a BMW (air-oil-cooled). The only bike I know of that you can put your hand on and only be warm right after riding it.

I would say the rider will feel more heat from the Spyder than from an HD or most any other MC. But an air cooled engine is going to get hotter than a liquid cooled engine. And in that way it is superior.

Otherwise, everything would be air cooled!

The only reasons to go air cooled are weight, size and complexity (read expense). Liquid cooling is superior in every way except these. And with today's technology the difference in weight/size are much less.

Not sure what liquid cooling adds to expense.

wolfshead1
08-22-2009, 06:02 PM
My 07 Ultra is pizza oven hot on my thighs and my wifes right shin and foot.I have stage 1 ,True duals and heat shields.Never had a hotter bike in slow traffic when it's hot.

There is heat from Spyder in traffic on a hot day also.In fact I plan on installing a marine blower motor to help disperse it. For me I can get away from the heat of the Spyder but the Ultra can make you wanna jump off.

Spyder#353
08-23-2009, 08:35 AM
I don't think it's necessary for a bigger fan or bigger radiator. Just an over ride switch works fine. Get in traffic, turn the fan on. Problem solved for about $2.00:2thumbs:

Spyder#353
08-23-2009, 08:42 AM
I wish they would put that effort into figuring out a way to redirect the fan so it doesn't cook our feet:yikes:

I cut a piece car insulation about 6"x8" and glued it to the scoop. Right foot doesn't burn anymore.

Rando
08-23-2009, 09:09 AM
I cut a piece car insulation about 6"x8" and glued it to the scoop. Right foot doesn't burn anymore.Pictures?

Trickie Dick
08-23-2009, 09:14 PM
I cut a piece car insulation about 6"x8" and glued it to the scoop. Right foot doesn't burn anymore.

Thanks for the info. Pictures please:helpsmilie:

BajaRon
08-23-2009, 09:47 PM

Not a bad idea. Back side I would guess. Didn't thing that much heat was radiating by the scoop.

fred
08-24-2009, 07:04 AM
dealer here was ready to remove the scope completely ... has amyone tried this ?