PDA

View Full Version : New Spyder seat

dave01
08-19-2009, 12:53 PM
Just installed the Comfort seat this morning and with only 35 miles on it so far, I can tell it is a great improvement over the stock seat. 25 minute install and got lucky on the pin placement the first time.:clap::clap:

I would list this as one of the best improvements i have made so far.

QuadManiac
08-19-2009, 01:43 PM
Good job! That pin can be a pain. May there be many happy hours ahead for your butt. ;)

cwhcwh
08-19-2009, 04:33 PM
:congrats: That will be my next mod as well.

Rando
08-20-2009, 05:52 AM
How does the clip come off/on for the seat strut?

BLACK WIDOW
08-20-2009, 06:20 AM
Just installed the Comfort seat this morning and with only 35 miles on it so far, I can tell it is a great improvement over the stock seat. 25 minute install and got lucky on the pin placement the first time.:clap::clap:

:agree:I've had mine for a month or two and on the longer trips you can definitely tell the difference. They look much better also. IMHO:thumbup:

NancysToy
08-20-2009, 07:17 AM
The comfort seat still hurts my butt, where the stock seat did not. I can't help it if I was built with a concave caboose. :D The seat suits Nancy perfectly, however, not only being more comfortable for her, but also placing her higher and further back, which is better for the replacement knee. It is her ryde, so that's what counts...and it is not any less comfortable that the slabs on some of my vintage bikes.

As to the great detailing, :agree: wholeheartedly. Only problem we have found is the same one with any stiched seat. Can't leave it out in the rain without a cover anymore. Glad you like your new seat. A bargain, IMO, especially considering the elevated price of some other BRP accessories.

ElkSpyder
08-20-2009, 12:30 PM
I've put a little over 4,000 miles on the comfort seat and it is a huge (imo)improvement over the stock seat.

bjt
08-20-2009, 04:42 PM
How does the clip come off/on for the seat strut?

If you can avoid taking the clip completely off, you'll be ahead of the game. With a small flat blade screwdriver, pry the clip partially away from the strut and pull on the strut at the same time. The strut should pop off the pin. If you pop the clip off the strut, be careful as it can take off with a lot of force and get lost or hit you. :yikes: Also, if the clip comes off, it can be a real bugger to get back on. :banghead: Another option is to get a couple of wrenchs on the pin that the strut locks onto and just remove the pin and strut together. I'm not sure that removing the pin is any easier than trying to pry the clip off.

dave01
08-20-2009, 06:20 PM
I left the clip on and removed the nut from the top ram mount. It wasnt too bad doing it that way.

NancysToy
08-20-2009, 07:23 PM
I left the clip on and removed the nut from the top ram mount. It wasnt too bad doing it that way.
:agree:

bjt
08-20-2009, 08:05 PM

:agree:
Well maybe it is easier... :D

BillGargan
08-20-2009, 09:45 PM
I've put a little over 4,000 miles on the comfort seat and it is a huge (imo)improvement over the stock seat.

The product description mentions improved seating position. Can you elaborate on how this seat is better -- and the seating position? Also, how do you deal with rain?

NancysToy
08-20-2009, 09:57 PM
The product description mentions improved seating position. Can you elaborate on how this seat is better -- and the seating position? Also, how do you deal with rain?
The seating position is an inch or more higher, and about 1 1/2 inches farther back. Eases the bent leg position just enough to be noticeable......especially with a replacement knee. Seat is also flatter where you sit, and a bit wider at your caboose, at least the part you contact. Firmer, too, but comfortable. I feel this give better cornering stability.

So far when riding in the rain we have used two large trash bags. One tucked under the back to cover that end, and then one pulled over the seat from the front. Not pretty, but functional. There is probably a better way, but I haven't found a commercial rain cover yet, and Nancy hasn't had time to make one. When parked, we added the BRP Outdoor cover.

superfly3
08-20-2009, 10:31 PM
:congrats: I get my comfort seat friday or saturday and going to install it on sunday:ohyea:

Trickie Dick
08-21-2009, 05:47 PM
Do I need to remove these to install a new seat? I confess I haven't really looked at it yet but I seem to recall something about needing to do this? If yes, does the whole thing come off or just the top section?
Thanks
Dick

Longlegs
08-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Yes the sport rack has to be taken off. I think there is 4 bolts holding it on under the snap on cover. Then there is a something that the cable attatches to that has to be disconnected. I can't remember how that worked right now, but it was obvious when I saw it. Also a bolt that the seat pivots on, and you have to un hook the strut and swap over the latch pin. It really isn't hard, just takes some time, maybe 45 minutes. It might take a bit to get the seat latch to close and pop open correctly. DONT FORCE IT closed.

czdaryle
08-21-2009, 08:57 PM
Do I need to remove these to install a new seat? I confess I haven't really looked at it yet but I seem to recall something about needing to do this? If yes, does the whole thing come off or just the top section?
Thanks
Dick
I did it without taking it completely off...just the four bolts and I was able to move it enough

Are you asking about rain cuz the stiching? Never new it couldn't take rain?

Trickie Dick
08-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Yes the sport rack has to be taken off. I think there is 4 bolts holding it on under the snap on cover. Then there is a something that the cable attatches to that has to be disconnected. I can't remember how that worked right now, but it was obvious when I saw it. Also a bolt that the seat pivots on, and you have to un hook the strut and swap over the latch pin. It really isn't hard, just takes some time, maybe 45 minutes. It might take a bit to get the seat latch to close and pop open correctly. DONT FORCE IT closed.
Thanks, I appreciate the info. :bowdown:
Dick

superfly3
08-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Got my new comfort seat on love it:2thumbs:

NewRider
08-23-2009, 03:49 PM
I let my dealer install my Comfort Seat. Holy cats! What a difference!:2thumbs:

caser
08-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Good job! That pin can be a pain. May there be many happy hours ahead for your butt. ;)

I've been trying to find a comfort seat. Fun Bike Center tells me that they won't be out til 2010. Did you get yours in SD? If so where. :helpsmilie:

superfly3
08-23-2009, 05:24 PM
Call Chris at 1-800-228-5765 mention spyderlovers.
359.99 shipped. best price I have seen yet! I ordered mine tuesday and got it friday,GREAT service:2thumbs:

War Eagle
09-05-2009, 12:20 AM
Ordered mine and it arrived at dealer in about 10 days. $360, it looks great and more comfortable by far! Wifey likes comfort and feel she sits higher with better visibility. Back rest must come off for installation.

:thumbup:

Smylinacha
09-05-2009, 08:34 AM

I like the looks of my comfort seat but I find I keep sliding forward so I put a nice black big sheepskin on it - boy and I comfy now!:2thumbs:

Bersquack
09-05-2009, 08:38 AM
:congrats:

MizMuffet
09-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Smylin, where did you get the sheepskin? I'm annoyed by always sliding forward on my seat, too. Thanks

barb36jack31
09-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Have the Comfort Seat on. Lots better, but I need to put the NNM risers on so that the bars come back a little further. That way I will be sitting right in the bucket. Never did get the locking pin to come within a row of axxholes of the latch. Took the locking pin off. Slapped on a piece of industrial velcro and voila! the seat is securely fastened down. No sweat.