PDA

View Full Version : F3 - fitted Triple Threat Exhaust, got engine warning light!! Should I be concerned?

Ensleyboy
09-03-2020, 07:46 AM
I changed from the stock exhaust to a triple threat exhaust. Now I have a solid yellow engine light in the lower right corner of my display. Should I be concerned? Did I void my warranty?

Peter Aawen
09-03-2020, 08:12 AM
Did you remove the catalytic converter & fit a Cat Eliminator as well as fitting the TripleThreat Exhaust? :dontknow: Cos if you didn't, and you didn't do something else like remove/damage/snap the wiring on an O2 sensor or similar, then I really don't see how changing the 'muffler' on the end of the exhaust with no sensors or electrical connectors in it could produce an engine fault?? Altho that 'engine light' is a bit of a catch-all warning for anything that can't readily be attributed to something else! :sour:

Regardless, unless something you've done is directly responsible for whatever failure might be causing that light &/or any subsequent or attributable damage, then it's extremely unlikely to have done anything at all to your warranty rights! :thumbup: Still, that might not necessarily stop some dodgy dealer or even BRP from trying that approach in the hope that you'll be fooled into thinking otherwise! :lecturef_smilie:

But I really think that unless you've damaged something else along the way while fitting the exhaust, the engine warning light is purely coincidental! :gaah:

woods
09-03-2020, 08:33 AM
Check for a code.If eng. light is on there should be a code listed.

Jdr00ejr
09-03-2020, 09:25 AM
What year F3? Did you do the Full Triple Thread or the slip on Triple Threat? Either way, did you let the bike idle for 10-15 minutes after install for the ECU to relearn the airflow?

Ensleyboy
09-03-2020, 01:02 PM
Where would the code be. It is a very small engine icon in the right lower corner of the display and I can’t make our a code.

Ensleyboy
09-03-2020, 01:06 PM
I totally removed the stoch exhaust from where it comes out and put on th triple threat along withe springs that hold it underneath.

Jdr00ejr
09-03-2020, 01:54 PM
I totally removed the stoch exhaust from where it comes out and put on th triple threat along withe springs that hold it underneath.

This still isn't clear. There are 2 locations where you can separate the "Stock" exhaust. You can remove both the primary muffler (under the bike) and the secondary muffler - side of the bike. The Triple Threat comes with both options.

You haven't stated what year or model F3. You also didn't answer if you let the bike idle for 10-15 minutes after installing - which is necessary for the ECU to relearn the levels. If you are getting an engine light - you should be able to press the Mode Button, the set button, and the center of the turn signals to cause the Spyder to display the code - but this may not work on the newer dashes and since you don't say what year - we don't know which dash you have. If you can provide additional information, folks may be able to provide additional troubleshooting support.

Ensleyboy
09-03-2020, 04:39 PM
It’s 2019 F3 base model. No, I didn’t let it idle for 15 minutes before riding. I put the triple threat on about 3 months ago. The orange engine light just appeared yesterday. I had been riding about an hour, took a 15 minute break and when I started it, the solid orange icon came on. I removed th big retangular part underneath the Spyder and the muffler on the side and replaced the entire exhaust with the triple threat.

Jdr00ejr
09-04-2020, 08:04 AM
It’s 2019 F3 base model. No, I didn’t let it idle for 15 minutes before riding. I put the triple threat on about 3 months ago. The orange engine light just appeared yesterday. I had been riding about an hour, took a 15 minute break and when I started it, the solid orange icon came on. I removed th big retangular part underneath the Spyder and the muffler on the side and replaced the entire exhaust with the triple threat.

Thanks for the added clarification. I'd be curious to know if you can estimate how many miles you've ridden since putting it on. If you didn't let it idle for 10-15 minutes after install it's likely it didn't get a chance to relearn the increased air flow and has been running lean. You definitely need to get the error code off of the machine.

This is the link I was trying to explain earlier - but I'm not sure if this will work on your Spyder or not - it's worth a try to see if you can get the specific error code that's happening. http://www.lamonstergarage.com/news/spyder-fault-codes/

Ensleyboy
09-04-2020, 10:14 AM
The codes read. U0155 and P0172

Jdr00ejr
09-04-2020, 12:42 PM
The codes read. U0155 and P0172

Interesting - I kinda expected to see the P0171 or P01072 (you have the latter). It's a Fuel Correction error - meaning the ECM can't adjust any further for the fuel air mixture. This is possibly because you didn't let it relearn after the new exhaust was put on. There are other possible causes though.

Now the U0155 is a "Lost Communication Error". The official error is "Lost communication with CLUSTER (lost of CAN ID's)." I'm guessing a dealer is going to need to get involved and likely just coincidence with the exhaust.

You can see more details on both these errors on this PDF: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-NsxYsZx2HmdDBtVzJ5YXRnY1k/view

I'm guessing a trip to the dealer is in order for you. :(

Ensleyboy
09-04-2020, 01:00 PM
Thank you so much. You have been a big help. I will definitely take it in.

Jdr00ejr
09-04-2020, 01:18 PM
Thank you so much. You have been a big help. I will definitely take it in.

Please come back and let us know what you find out. Hopefully they can square your way quickly.