PDA

View Full Version : BRP Connect / Genius Maps Volume issue solved - for some!

Jetfixer
08-23-2020, 06:15 PM
After doing a forum search concerning the either total lack of sound, or low volume, using the Genius Maps on BRP Connect, I decided to start a new post rather than try to put this in all of them separately. I've found a solution that works for me! This ONLY applies to Android based phones. It turns out that since Android 7 was released, Bluetooth volume was severely restricted, and no longer adjustable separately from the main system volume. There is a fix for this! There is a setting under the Developer Options that you need to change. It is called Bluetooth Absolute Volume, and you need to DISABLE it. Developer Options is a hidden menu that must be accessed. Warning! Do not mess around with other settings under Developer Options.

If you are unsure how to access Developer options and disable the Absolute volume toggle, follow these instructions:

1 - Open Settings.
2 - Choose System.
3 - Open About phone.
3A - (In some versions of Android you now need to tap on Software)
4 - Locate the Build number and tap it 7 times in succession to enable Developer options.
5 - Now, you should see Developer options in Settings > System.
6 - Scroll down until you reach the Networking section.
7 - Once there, enable (toggle ON) the Disable absolute volume option.
8 - Reboot your device and you should have more control over the volume of Bluetooth devices.

Now I can hear my Genius Maps! Also, while the Maps program is talking, you can control its volume separately from the other volume settings on the bike!

I have no idea if there is a comparable setting to change with Iphone.

Yabbadabbadoo
08-25-2020, 03:46 PM
Thank you for this! I was able to update my settings per your instructions. I haven't been able to test it with bluetooth on the bike yet but I believe it has also made a difference with overall volume using headphones.

billybovine
08-25-2020, 09:19 PM
Interesting post. So I take it was a low volume issue with Genius Maps only and not a general low volume issue? I have not been using Genius Maps because of several issues that I found really irritating. Preferred Waze or Google Driving instead. Reinstalled it the other day and it looks like several of the problems that bothered me are fixed. I will have to give it a try again.

I was hoping that this setting would stop having to answer the nag notice before allowing the BT volume for BRP Connect Media to be turned to full. Made no difference. It's not that bad because it only has to be done every time the phone is power cycled. But still it would be nice to be able to bypass this. If you are plugged in to use the Spyder screen display. The phone screen is locked out and you would never see the notice on the phone. So if you or someone else can tell me how to turn the BT max volume off. That would be great.

The first screenshot is the warning. The second screenshot is the full volume bar after answering OK in the notice or the volume is limited to 70%.

Jetfixer
08-26-2020, 04:45 PM
Interesting post. So I take it was a low volume issue with Genius Maps only and not a general low volume issue? I have not been using Genius Maps because of several issues that I found really irritating. Preferred Waze or Google Driving instead. Reinstalled it the other day and it looks like several of the problems that bothered me are fixed. I will have to give it a try again.

I was hoping that this setting would stop having to answer the nag notice before allowing the BT volume for BRP Connect Media to be turned to full. Made no difference. It's not that bad because it only has to be done every time the phone is power cycled. But still it would be nice to be able to bypass this. If you are plugged in to use the Spyder screen display. The phone screen is locked out and you would never see the notice on the phone. So if you or someone else can tell me how to turn the BT max volume off. That would be great.

The first screenshot is the warning. The second screenshot is the full volume bar after answering OK in the notice or the volume is limited to 70%.

Wish I could be more helpful. Perhaps it is either phone specific, or Android version specific, but I no longer get the volume nag screen after doing away with the max volume limit. This setting affects Bluetooth max volume only. I have a Samsung Galaxy S10 that currently has Android 10 on it. It is not hacked or unlocked at all other than the Developer Options menu being unhidden...

billybovine
08-26-2020, 07:22 PM
Mine is a Galaxy A8 with android 9. You would think they would almost the same.

Flamewinger
08-26-2020, 07:37 PM
The main volume control in the dash can control whatever sound or music you hear. For music you see an orange color volume control but when an announcement happens it turns yellow and you can then adjust that volume. Once the setting in the app are where you want them, the phone volume is up, you should be able to control any and all sounds with the joystick.