PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Spyder ST as parts bike

photophil33
08-22-2020, 08:21 AM
Is there any market for a 2013 ST that needs the stator & magneto replaced. Estimate from dealer was $1700 to repair and the bike has 60k miles on it, so looking to replace. Just wondered what to do with the old Spyder! Thanks

Mikey
08-22-2020, 08:50 AM
You sure it's the stator and mag and not the pick up? What happen?

Peter Aawen
08-22-2020, 09:07 AM
If you can't fix that yourself & just want to get rid of it, wouldn't you be better off selling it as a 'project bike' at just a little off market value? Or even trading it in.... :dontknow:

After all, while that particular dealer might want you to pay them $1700 for what is effectively a fairly readily done home spanner-spinner's job that might take someone unfamiliar with Spyder's maybe a few hours on a barely run in Spyder like that, I doubt it'd cost them anywhere near that much if it was one they owned & wanted to get onto the market... :rolleyes: Besides, if you can find a buyer who's prepared & able to do that sort of work, I doubt it'd cost them much more that $1000 in retail parts to get that sorted, & that'd be with all new bits too! :lecturef_smilie:

And since there are quite a few Spyders out there with significantly more miles under their wheels than that (you whistle, & I'll point! ;) ) if it's otherwise in good nick, I reckon you'd be doing yourself a pretty large dis-service to let it go cheaply as a 'parts bike'! :shocked:

photophil33
08-22-2020, 10:41 AM
Mikey, just going by what the dealer told me. I was riding and the “Low voltage battery” screen pops up, Spyder starting jerking, couldn’t change gears, then other error screens popped up and it just cut off in the road.
Replaced with new battery, rode about 5-6 miles and same thing, coasted into a gas station and had it towed to dealer. They replaced a rectifier with no luck and said magneto was burned up. Not charging the battery.

photophil33
08-22-2020, 10:46 AM
If you can't fix that yourself & just want to get rid of it, wouldn't you be better off selling it as a 'project bike' at just a little off market value? Or even trading it in.... :dontknow:

After all, while that particular dealer might want you to pay them $1700 for what is effectively a fairly readily done home spanner-spinner's job that might take someone unfamiliar with Spyder's maybe a few hours on a barely run in Spyder like that, I doubt it'd cost them anywhere near that much if it was one they owned & wanted to get onto the market... :rolleyes: Besides, if you can find a buyer who's prepared & able to do that sort of work, I doubt it'd cost them much more that $1000 in retail parts to get that sorted, & that'd be with all new bits too! :lecturef_smilie:

And since there are quite a few Spyders out there with significantly more miles under their wheels than that (you whistle, & I'll point! ;) ) if it's otherwise in good nick, I reckon you'd be doing yourself a pretty large dis-service to let it go cheaply as a 'parts bike'! :shocked:

Peter,
Dealer said parts costs was $1022. So where would I list as a project bike? It has just over 60k miles on it.

Peter Aawen
08-22-2020, 07:26 PM
Peter,
Dealer said parts costs was $1022. So where would I list as a project bike? It has just over 60k miles on it.

You could list it here in the 'For Sale by Owner' section; on Craigslist; BikeSales; or basically just anywhere and everywhere you'd list a 'normal' bike sale, and advertise it EXACTLY as if it's a normal bike sale, altho maybe with something like 'special price reduction - needs new stator/magneto - sold as is where is' in the advert, and put your price down by maybe $1200-$1500 on what others are asking for similar machines. Hey, if it still runs atm, why not advertise it at the going rate without any mention of the mag/stator in the advert, see who responds, and if/when they do, immediately tell them about the mag/stator & suggest you'll sell at your asking price as soon as you've got it fixed, or you could drop the price $1000 or so & they can take it as is - they'll probably appreciate the honesty AND the offer of price reduction, and then once they own it, they can get it fixed however & wherever they want! :dontknow:

But SERIOUSLY, 60,000 miles is NOT OLD for a V-twin Spyder, less old for a Triple, & besides, the stator/mag thing is really only a minor issue - I don't think it's anywhere near worth getting rid of it over either (my 2013 RT already has somewhat more miles up than that, and I'm not upgrading until/unless BRP or some other manufacturer comes out with something that isn't fully digital and that works better for me!) Besides, have you got a second opinion on what it'll take to fix it/what needs to be done yet? Or asked them for a Trade-in value? Or checked the parts prices on the necessary parts thru BRP and CheapCycleParts....

Personally, I really wouldn't be tossing a 2013 Spyder with only 60,000 miles on the odo out OR selling it on just because one dealer gave you what could well be their 'we really don't want to do this job price, cos right now we're just too busy, so toss him some ridiculous price & if he bites, bewdy, he can pay up and wait' - at least, I wouldn't accept that without checking around a bit first!! Trust, but Verify! Maybe try another dealer or if you can't/don't want to do it yourself (and it is a job that most people who can read the instructions & twirl a screwdriver could easily do!) see if some local bike shop or even a Spyder Ryder/home mechanic is willing to do the job for you any cheaper - have you checked?? :dontknow:

Mag/stator repairs are generally not really difficult jobs, so why would a little thing like this make you want to get rid of an otherwise perfectly fine machine?? Why not just fix it & move on to enjoying the Miles of Smiles again?? :dontknow: