PDA

View Full Version : I've been robbed!

iridenow
08-16-2020, 08:56 PM
I live in an apartment where we only have a parking deck. I rode yesterday for a few minutes and went out today to go to lunch to find my x-grip phone mount no longer there. I don't have any kind of protection but have not had a problem in the 10 months I have owned Fred. So I guess it's time to get a cover but not sure if this is a problem. I have the full length antenna. Is there a cover for the RT that has a hole or will fit with the antenna?

I need the cover anyway. I'm about to have surgery on my foot so I won't be able to ride for a few weeks after.

RICZ
08-16-2020, 09:00 PM
Here's some really good ones with antenna ports.
https://www.carcoversfactory.com/

pegasus1300
08-16-2020, 09:01 PM
The Dowco cover has one on each side. I another post it makes mention of the car cover factory. Their cover seems pretty good.

Bfromla
08-17-2020, 02:17 AM
:gaah::banghead:Truly sucks sorry Was it on a Ram mount? If so here is a security option
https://robertbeckerdesign.com/shop/ols/products/kapplock :thumbup:

Mikey
08-17-2020, 03:19 AM
That sucks when some scum bag can't get off his lazy butt and buy his own stuff!!! About that long antenna you have, it will be a little pain to stuff that cover over it but you can do it, but have you thought about getting a stubby for it? I lost one of mine on a ride one time and had a cover like your thinking about, it was a pain with the cover and the long antenna, so I did some research and found out that a short one would work just as good and was easier to get under the cover! If you do change it over, make sure you remove as much of the Loctite out of the treads and surface of the mounting block as you can, that will make the unit work better for you! Loctite is not a good conductor!! Good luck, hope the scum bag leaves you alone!!!

SpyderConvert
08-17-2020, 06:24 AM
If I leave any RAM mount on my ryde, I substitute a nut with nylon "locking" material in it for the "T" nut provided.

Doug44
08-17-2020, 06:32 AM
Be glad that is all that was taken or damaged. I have a ridding friend who had his seat slit on his Burgman in the parking lot where he lives.

troop
08-17-2020, 09:06 AM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RAM-Pin-Lock-Security-Knob-Key-for-1-Ball-Double-Socket-Arm-RAP-S-KNOB3U/293678482710?hash=item44609a0516:g:3UoAAOSwEtlfK5K D

ARtraveler
08-17-2020, 09:53 AM
Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...May KARMA come back to the perpetrator and may he/she have 100 times the problems and issues they have caused the victim.

:yikes:

ozarkryder
08-17-2020, 10:09 AM
Most covers for the specific model Spyder you have will come with the appropriate openings for antennas. We got the Ultraguard cover from Lamonster Garage. It has an opening on each side covers with a flap that closes with velcro if it isn't used. Also went with the stubby antenna. That didn't seem to change reception, which is poor in our area, over the OEM whip.

As for the RAM mounts, They can come off in a matter of seconds, so it I am not completely sure of an area they get unmounted and locked in one of the storage compartments. Quicker and easier for me than a special key or knob, and "Out of sight, out of mind" - can't take it if it's not there.

YIRYDE
08-17-2020, 10:52 AM
I use this for my ram devices and it's smaller than the RAM lock, https://robertbeckerdesign.com/shop/ols/products/kapplock

SPYD3R
08-17-2020, 12:08 PM
hey IRIDE;
sorry 2 hear of ur misfortune... i know the feeling pal...
now think about that COVER you want to purchase... i had one removed from my RS back in '09 during a mid-nite sale...
so, when i purchased my 1st F3, i got me a RIGGS, and i sewed a 'TONGUE' on it that works with the frunk locking mechanism... see pix attached... i can't say if any1 ever tried to remove it, but since 2015, it's always been there when i get up in the morning... you may want to think about doing something similar...
good luck...
Dan P
SPYD3R
Easley,
SC183980 183978 183979

Deanna777
08-17-2020, 09:35 PM
Sorry to hear about the theft of your ram mount.

As for the cover for the spyder, I use BRP full cover, it has 2 antenna holes ( 1 on the left side,and 1 on the right side) for the OEM antenna to go thru.

Deanna

Big F
08-18-2020, 09:48 AM
I have an Ultragard cover that has a port for the antenna. Just back from Sturgis and used it every night..
BIG F

FastOldGuy
08-18-2020, 10:36 AM
Something I keep ready at all times... A GPS Tracker. If you put a GPS Tracker on your Spyder if someone dicks with it and shakes it, BINGO you'll get a Text. I have numerous expensive toys and keep the GPS Tracker ready if I go somewhere over night or I used to keep it on my office desk chair. :) Be Aware some of them are Total Junk and of the ones that actually work will require a Phone Card and cost $30 to $50. (My phone card is $5.00 a month) Interested where the Wife or GF goes, I know.

iridenow
08-18-2020, 10:06 PM
Thanks gang for all the advice. You guys are truly priceless! :thumbup: