PDA

View Full Version : Steering Recall Experience

BeRight
08-15-2009, 08:49 PM
I am still a hold out.

Please share where you had the recall done and results of same.

Thanks
Steve

BillGargan
08-15-2009, 11:55 PM
Do a search . . . There are multiple threads on both of the Spyder sites on which many dozens of folks have responded to this issue. The vast majority in the positive!

BeRight
08-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Dude, you don't even live in MD-I am looking for MD Spyder and MD dealer feedback only.

By the way: 43% have had bad results with recall software update.

Don Stombaugh
08-17-2009, 09:52 PM
Dude, you don't even live in MD-I am looking for MD Spyder and MD dealer feedback only.

My Steering Recall was done when it picked up my :spyder2:, and I have put 1,476 miles on it in a week with no problems. I bought my :spyder2: at Talbot Power Sports in Easton, MD. I live in Leonardtown, MD and work at NAS Patuxent River, I don't mind the ride (120 miles) to Easton for maintenance because I love to ride my :spyder2: anyway.

Don :clap:

BillGargan
08-17-2009, 10:01 PM

Please check your original post. Where does it say you are only interested in MD feedback?

Dude, 57% is still a majority on my math scale.

BeRight
08-17-2009, 10:02 PM
Hi Don,
Does Talbot Power Sports work on your Spyder while you wait?

Steve

wildbill6565
08-18-2009, 11:28 AM
Just had our two :spyder:'s done last week and did a 150 mile ride Saturday and everything was great. Yes I was worried too so got the tech to take them for a longer ride (had the 9000 mile service done too along with the software upgrade). He rode about 30 minutes on both. I smelled raw gas when I started wife's :spyder: up(had hers done first just in case SMILE). Also when I filled up before I left Danville I smelled some too.
Wife said she did not smell any Saturday though so MAYBE!!!!!
Mine was fine from the get-go!!
Love them :spyder:s!!!!!!!!!!
See you in Gatlinburg!!!!!!!!!

BeRight
08-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Dude DUH! it is posted in the MD forum:spyder:

Dukester
08-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Had the Recall done, bike got worse. Today 8-18-09 called BRP rep, spoke with him and he reminded me to tell the shop to call BRP tech and report the issue. I called the 1-866-767-0707 number the person was very understanding, hopfully the company comes up with a solution. Must be hard though with all the different situations with mods done and all the different pipes. He said, "they think that might be some of the problems". Good luck to all of us. I pick my :spyder2: up today and I hope it's running better. Let you know tonight or tommorw.

BeRight
08-18-2009, 04:14 PM
Had the Recall done, bike got worse. Today 8-18-09 called BRP rep, spoke with him and he reminded me to tell the shop to call BRP tech and report the issue. I called the 1-866-767-0707 number the person was very understanding, hopfully the company comes up with a solution. Must be hard though with all the different situations with mods done and all the different pipes. He said, "they think that might be some of the problems". Good luck to all of us. I pick my :spyder2: up today and I hope it's running better. Let you know tonight or tommorw.

Thanks for sharing-hope they fix it!

Dukester
08-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Picked up my Spyder, dealer fixed park brake, checked air box for oil, looked at trying to fix backfire, and checked fuel line. Park brake fixed, they said a little oil in air box cleaned it up, told me not to worry about the backfire it usually happens in the 3500 to 4000 rpm range and I should just keep an eye on it. fuel line they put a line cover like they did on 2009 model. The great news is they didn't charge me anything. Blackmans in Emmaus, PA are wonderful, they have treated me like gold. They also contacted BRP and reported it.

BeRight
08-18-2009, 07:02 PM
The backfire seems to be normal for this recall software but not normal for the Spyder, or any properly tuned motorcycle. IMHO

I might suggest that you keep the revs up between shifts and maybe you can avoid some of the backfiring instances.

Glad that everything else is working good for you.

Don Stombaugh
08-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Hi Don,
Does Talbot Power Sports work on your Spyder while you wait?

Steve

Yes, Steve at Talbot Power Sports you can wait while they work on your :spyder2:. The people there are great and very helpful. Call Heather at service and she hook you up, just tell her that you want to wait for your :spyder2:, or Chuck in sales he could help also.

Don :2thumbs:

BeRight
08-19-2009, 08:56 AM
Yes, Steve at Talbot Power Sports you can wait while they work on your :spyder2:. The people there are great and very helpful. Call Heather at service and she hook you up, just tell her that you want to wait for your :spyder2:, or Chuck in sales he could help also.

Don :2thumbs:

Thanks Don- it is refreshing to hear a good MD :spyder2:dealer report.

kman
08-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Had my recall done 2 weeks ago.Everything seemed alright at first and the steering was alot easier.Went for a ride that saturday from taneytown to
Hancock down to Winchester VA.Thats when the problems started.It was
over 90 degrees by then and humid.As we got into Winchester the spyder
started backfiring continuosly in second gear 25 to 30 miles per hour even
while on the throttle.I was afraid the locals were going to start shooting back!We stopped for lunch for about an hour and when we left everything
seemed back to normal untill we got into a backup at Harpers Ferry then it started again.Even when we got moving again at 60+ I would still get backfiring on decel.Contaced my dealer Hanover Motosports told them the
problem and they contacted BRP with my vin #.Still have not heard back from BRP.Since I have the Hindle exhaust figured it might be a "lean"
problem so I broke down and bought the Juicebox and installed it 8/21.
WOW! Best 300 bucks I have spent on :spyder2:.still tweaking but think I am on the right track.still "minor" popping when it gets hot.:D

BeRight
08-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Had my recall done 2 weeks ago.Everything seemed alright at first and the steering was alot easier.Went for a ride that saturday from taneytown to
Hancock down to Winchester VA.Thats when the problems started.It was
over 90 degrees by then and humid.As we got into Winchester the spyder
started backfiring continuosly in second gear 25 to 30 miles per hour even
while on the throttle.I was afraid the locals were going to start shooting back!We stopped for lunch for about an hour and when we left everything
seemed back to normal untill we got into a backup at Harpers Ferry then it started again.Even when we got moving again at 60+ I would still get backfiring on decel.Contaced my dealer Hanover Motosports told them the
problem and they contacted BRP with my vin #.Still have not heard back from BRP.Since I have the Hindle exhaust figured it might be a "lean"
problem so I broke down and bought the Juicebox and installed it 8/21.
WOW! Best 300 bucks I have spent on :spyder2:.still tweaking but think I am on the right track.still "minor" popping when it gets hot.:D

Sounds like you found a good solution. As you can read on this forum, BRP changed the software that determines when the purge valve opens and closes-causing these problems.

Simple test is to plug line out of valve and see if bike runs normally. Lamonster has a video on it.

Thx for the update
Cheers
Steve