PDA

View Full Version : HowTo: Oil check suggestion

SportsterDoc
07-30-2020, 10:18 AM
After every ride of moderate or longer distance, I check engine oil.
Even Tuesday night, after 545 miles and 15+ hours...especially after that distance.
I want too know it is ready to go, next ride...or have time to correct, adjust, fix whatever needs attention.

I prefer post-ride inspections and the manner of checking the oil lends itself to the practice on the Ryker:
Only 10 seconds after shut-off to check.

So, I pull into the garage, leave engine running, open trans filter cover, grab a paper towel,
Remove dipstick
Wipe off oil
Turn off engine
Quickly insert and screw-in dipstick
Unscrew and observe level

1600 miles since first oil change.
Oil level still at top of full mark.

ARtraveler
07-30-2020, 10:20 AM
One of the advantages on the 1330/3 engine is that it is very stingy on oil. Many report no additional oil needed between oil changes.

Much different than on the 998/2's.

SportsterDoc
07-30-2020, 10:26 AM
One of the advantages on the 1330/3 engine is that it is very stingy on oil. Many report no additional oil needed between oil changes.

Expect same with 900/3, but still check.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-30-2020, 10:31 AM
After every ride of moderate or longer distance, I check engine oil.
Even Tuesday night, after 545 miles and 15+ hours...especially after that distance.
I want too know it is ready to go, next ride...or have time to correct, adjust, fix whatever needs attention.

I prefer post-ride inspections and the manner of checking the oil lends itself to the practice on the Ryker:
Only 10 seconds after shut-off to check.

So, I pull into the garage, leave engine running, open trans filter cover, grab a paper towel,
Remove dipstick
Wipe off oil
Turn off engine
Quickly insert and screw-in dipstick
Unscrew and observe level

1600 miles since first oil change.
Oil level still at top of full mark.

Thanks for bringing this info up again .... It's what I've done and recommended for over 10 years ...... :thumbup: ..... Mike :2thumbs:

SportsterDoc
07-30-2020, 10:52 AM
I had a 2019 Kia Soul base model, 6 speed manual, for a while.
Many issues on KiaSoulForums with engine failure due to oil loss.
Part of the problem, in my opinion, was running 5W20 oil along with no recommendation by Kia to check PCV at any mileage on a GDI motor.
Kia allows for 5W30. I would not use 5W20 for anything other than run-in.

However, biggest problem was folks thinking there is no need to check oil between oil changes.

Of close to forty 4 wheel vehicles, 2 or 3 may have needed 1/2 quart in 3,000 miles, but most needed none added.

True now, with pure synthetic and 5,000 mile intervals...but I still check.