PDA

View Full Version : Engine blown...

Lowflyingowl
08-14-2009, 06:26 PM
Blew the engine at 21000+ miles.

Running back form Bay area to SActo, engine puttered and almost died while I was pleasantly tooling along at 70 on I80. Check Oil light came on, but no other messages on the display. Took it off the freeway, cooled it down to 2 bars ( from 5 -- temp reading 110), checked the oil and it was fine.

Back on the freeway, up to 60, sputtered and died again. cruised at 2-30 along the side to the next exit. Called for a tow to the dealer.

Dealer plugs it in and gets a low oil pressure warning, indication also that it was in limp mode ( although nothing showed that on my display). They drained the oil -- drain plug was covered with metal shavings.

Now we're waiting to see what BRP will do -- new engine is what the dealer is looking for, since they say they've never rebuilt one of these.

Think I'll be purchasing the extended warranty...

Suffering from serious Spyder withdrawal -- drinking twice a much as normal and cruising the house making vroom-vroom noises..

ataDude
08-14-2009, 07:10 PM

Running back form Bay area to SActo, engine puttered and almost died while I was pleasantly tooling along at 70 on I80. Check Oil light came on, but no other messages on the display. Took it off the freeway, cooled it down to 2 bars ( from 5 -- temp reading 110), checked the oil and it was fine.

Back on the freeway, up to 60, sputtered and died again. cruised at 2-30 along the side to the next exit. Called for a tow to the dealer.

Dealer plugs it in and gets a low oil pressure warning, indication also that it was in limp mode ( although nothing showed that on my display). They drained the oil -- drain plug was covered with metal shavings.

Now we're waiting to see what BRP will do -- new engine is what the dealer is looking for, since they say they've never rebuilt one of these.

Suffering from serious Spyder withdrawal -- drinking twice a much as normal and cruising the house making vroom-vroom noises..

Oh... that really sucks. :yikes:

Hopefully, you'll get a brand new motor... not a rebuild.

bjt
08-14-2009, 07:15 PM

Ouch. I think dltang had the precursor to this. Check engine light and oil light were on but we were at home. She called the dealer and they told her to bring it in. The problem seemed to go away while she was riding up there but when she arrived and they plugged it in, they found a problem with the oil pressure (can't remember exactly what). We were glad she got it in there before any damage was done.

Nice to see you still have a sense of humor regarding the situation. :D

JimAlpha
08-14-2009, 07:32 PM
After your cross country trip and the engine blowing I would be drinking alot too! Lucky that it happened close to home. Please let us know what happens with the engine.

spyderwoman
08-14-2009, 07:53 PM
Suffering from serious Spyder withdrawal -- drinking twice a much as normal and cruising the house making vroom-vroom noises..[/quote]

:roflblack: not laughing at your situation but you do have a good since of humor!!!

i am sorry about your bike though.:(

nater1
08-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Call Carlo at BRP, and be firm but friendly.

BumbleBee
08-15-2009, 07:43 AM
Sorry to hear about your spyder. Hopefully they will replace it with a new motor...:pray:

Roaddog2
08-15-2009, 07:46 AM
I'll bet it's those great Chinese bearings that Rotax is using now have seen 2 torn down in my area and thats what it was :mad:

jedd
08-15-2009, 08:11 AM
Call Carlo at BRP, and be firm but friendly.
Bad deal however give dealer fair chance to rectify problem thats why we have dealers BRP is there in the event your dealer fails.:lecturef_smilie:

Smylinacha
08-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Sorry about your:spyder2:. I hope you get a brand new spankin engine. Nothing wrong w/ drinking too much if you're home - I do that a lot. Just don't drink and drive! Vroom vroom noises are cool.

Questions
08-15-2009, 02:01 PM
I am very sorry to hear about your engine problems. I certainly hope BRP stands behind it. When I bought my Spyder everyone I talked to said what a great company BRP is.

krb1945
08-15-2009, 02:17 PM
If they do a rebuild in lieu of a new one... you might consider getting the bearing sizes and go to your local machine shop supplier and see if you can find the same size bearings with the TRW brand name. These bearings are top grade.

Firefly
08-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Bummer man--- heard of a few of these happening.

Extended warranty---- You Betcha !

Brian-- I think Debs was a bad oil pressure sensor if I remember correctly.

Lowflyingowl
08-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Thanks for all the wishes and support. I'll keep you all posted on how this develops. I'll be checking in with the dealer Monday 8/17 to find out the status.

I've been really happy with the Spyder up to the moment the engine blew. I'm looking forward to a quick resolution. A little worried about how long it can take, but I'm a retired manager and I know how to get things moving!

The hardest part is being without a ride. I rode daily and took over 110 mile trips a few times a week. I'm driving my wife crazy at this point, and it hasn't even been a week yet! If it goes much more than 2 weeks, I'll be renting or buying something or else I'll be goin' postal!!

Lowflyingowl
08-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Update: I'm caught between BRP, who wants the dealer to do a rebuild, and my dealer, who doesn't want to do a rebuild and who wants BRP to send me a new engine.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/smilies/gaah.gif
I've e-mailed and called Spyder support. Next is a letter, then the local TV stations.

I'm wondering about both BRP -- who built this machine that goes out at 20000 miles, something I've never experienced in 33 years or riding motorcycles -- and my dealer, who doesn't seem to feel at all comfortable doing a rebuild.

Has anyone else had their engine replaced and then had at least 10000 miles on the new one? I'm wondering if I'll have to go through this every 20000 miles -- sorry, but as much as I've enjoyed the Spyder, not willing to put up with that!

bjt
08-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Update: I'm caught between BRP, who wants the dealer to do a rebuild, and my dealer, who doesn't want to do a rebuild and who wants BRP to send me a new engine.
I've e-mailed and called Spyder support. Next is a letter, then the local TV stations.

I'm wondering about both BRP -- who built this machine that goes out at 20000 miles, something I've never experienced in 33 years or riding motorcycles -- and my dealer, who doesn't seem to feel at all comfortable doing a rebuild.

Has anyone else had their engine replaced and then had at least 10000 miles on the new one? I'm wondering if I'll have to go through this every 20000 miles -- sorry, but as much as I've enjoyed the Spyder, not willing to put up with that!

This can't be a common problem as there are many with over 20,000 miles on their Spyder (and a few with at least double that number) and they haven't had to have their engine rebuilt or replaced. I am over 22,000 and my wife is over 25,000 without any motor issues whatsoever.

ElkSpyder
08-22-2009, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the update. Sorry about your troubles. Please keep us updated. I guess I would be looking at BRP and telling them the dealer is not comfortable doing the rebuild, why would or should you be comfortable getting your :spyder2: back with a rebuilt engine?

spyryder
08-22-2009, 04:32 PM

Can't your dealer send it off to a 3rd party if he doesn't want to do it?:dontknow:

Lowflyingowl
08-22-2009, 11:12 PM
I'm sticking with the dealer at this point. I believe they are trying to get my Spyder back on the road as quickly as possible -- which is via a new engine. They do the entire Can-Am line and BRP watercraft as well as other boats, and this is their peak season.

Just sent a nice e-mail to BRP's CEO, Jose Boisjoli, and also their head of marketing for Can-Am in North America.

Now that the initial shock of not having my Spyder is wearing off, I'm in major semi-retired-curmudgeon-with-an-Internet-connection mode.

My initial misgivings are easing since talking with some other folks who've had their engines replaced and have not had any other problems since.

Smylinacha
08-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Give our dealer a call- I believe he's had 2 :spyder2: with blown engines - Just for sh#ts and giggles, I'd call him to see what he says and how he went about it. He owns the dealership AND works on the bikes with his techs. He seems to be very well educated with brp products - been selling them and been riding them for years.
203.467.5903 - Ask for Bobby jr. Tell him you know Kimmi & Lou. I think he goes to DC next week so call him soon

docdoru
08-23-2009, 08:41 AM

I blew my Passat 3.6 engine at 28 k...:gaah: