PDA

View Full Version : A little off topic: Used Wheelchair source?

LittleJohn
08-14-2009, 08:51 AM
I have been temporarily in a wheelchair for the last 3 months due to foot problems caused by diabetes. I have permanent issues with my feet that have left me in braces on both feet for quite some time, if not indefinitely.

First of all, it has given me a MUCH greater appreciation of what you guys go through on a daily basis. My hat off to all of you!

Even though I will be released from having to use the wheelchair (its a rental paid by my insurance that weighs about 60 lbs!!!) I have realized that I am able to get some good exercise by using it. I have been trying to find one that fits my needs that I can purchase to keep.
Needs to have a good weight capacity (Im about 315 right now), and be no more than about 28 inches wide at the handrims. Im in a 20" wide seat now, but think an 18" would suit me better. Obviously, the lighter the better.

Does anyone know of a good source online to look for such a beast at a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

SethO
08-21-2009, 08:01 PM
I have been temporarily in a wheelchair for the last 3 months due to foot problems caused by diabetes. I have permanent issues with my feet that have left me in braces on both feet for quite some time, if not indefinitely.

First of all, it has given me a MUCH greater appreciation of what you guys go through on a daily basis. My hat off to all of you!

Even though I will be released from having to use the wheelchair (its a rental paid by my insurance that weighs about 60 lbs!!!) I have realized that I am able to get some good exercise by using it. I have been trying to find one that fits my needs that I can purchase to keep.
Needs to have a good weight capacity (Im about 315 right now), and be no more than about 28 inches wide at the handrims. Im in a 20" wide seat now, but think an 18" would suit me better. Obviously, the lighter the better.

Does anyone know of a good source online to look for such a beast at a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3

should be the most up to date wheelchair place I have found

from being in one it is a good way to work on wheelie and other balance issues

LittleJohn
08-31-2009, 09:20 AM
Thanks!!!

eureka
08-31-2009, 04:24 PM
I just came home from a Rotary meeting and we were given new chairs by the LDS Church to give to needy people. Ours were for children and are now at the local hospital childrens rehab ward.
You might inquire at your local LDS Church to see if they also have them avaliable. Ours were from Salt Lake City. John:yes:

LittleJohn
09-01-2009, 07:47 AM
I just came home from a Rotary meeting and we were given new chairs by the LDS Church to give to needy people. Ours were for children and are now at the local hospital childrens rehab ward.
You might inquire at your local LDS Church to see if they also have them avaliable. Ours were from Salt Lake City. John:yes:
Cool!!!
Thanks. I may check that out as a source. Not lookin for a handout really though, just a good place to look for used ones that will fit my needs. Maybe if I find an organization like that donating them, I can backtrack their source and go from there.
Thanks for the heads up!

obiwanbill
11-04-2009, 11:11 PM
If you are a veteran, many VFWs and Ame. Legion posts have used chairs that have been donated.

The Va just lowered income standards and I got back in...The just gave me a new Invacare Tracer SX5. this model is 34 lbs, 250 weight max 20" wide.

They have them on the internet in all sizes and weight capacities.
Prices on internet are 250 and up. google: discount wheelchairs.

Medical supply joints are selling them for 950+. Insurance companies wont buy them for that price and force the supplier to sell them for like 750, at 16$/month (Yuck).

my old chair was 45 lbs and could hold my 350lb frame...now that I'm at 220, I have a smaller chair that the VA gave me. I can really tell the difference in weight when loading it on motorcycle or into the truck cab

LittleJohn
11-05-2009, 09:36 AM
If you are a veteran, many VFWs and Ame. Legion posts have used chairs that have been donated.

The Va just lowered income standards and I got back in...The just gave me a new Invacare Tracer SX5. this model is 34 lbs, 250 weight max 20" wide.

Medical supply joints are selling them for 950+. Insurance companies wont buy them for that price and force the supplier to sell them for like 750, at 16$/month (Yuck).

my old chair was 45 lbs and could hold my 350lb frame...now that I'm at 220, I have a smaller chair that the VA gave me. I can really tell the difference in weight when loading it on motorcycle or into the truck cab
Thanks Obi!!!
Ive been checkin all the sites I know of for the right deal for me. Not a vet so that route is out.

obiwanbill
11-05-2009, 11:11 AM
For civilian use: heh heh : Invacare Tracer SX5. this model is 34 lbs, 250 weight max 20" wide.
Medical supply joints are selling them for $950+. Insurance companies wont buy them for that price and force the supplier to sell them for like $750, at 16$/month (Yuck). Internet prices far better, some with free shipping.

if it's going to be temp use, you might want to rent. if you buy, you could donate it for a tax deduction when you dont need it.

churches, hospitals may have used ones for sale cheep

LittleJohn
11-05-2009, 11:15 AM
For civilian use: heh heh : Invacare Tracer SX5. this model is 34 lbs, 250 weight max 20" wide.
Medical supply joints are selling them for $950+. Insurance companies wont buy them for that price and force the supplier to sell them for like $750, at 16$/month (Yuck). Internet prices far better, some with free shipping.

if it's going to be temp use, you might want to rent. if you buy, you could donate it for a tax deduction when you dont need it.

churches, hospitals may have used ones for sale cheep

Yeah, my insurance is paying for a rental right now, its only costing me $3 a month, but it weighs a ton. I dont need one all the time, but when I go places that involve a lot of walking, I wouldnt mind taking a lightweight one along so I am not the limiting factor in how long we walk. Just keepin my eyes out for the right one. Thanks for all the info. Hows the spyder treatin ya?

obiwanbill
02-09-2010, 11:59 PM
... Hows the spyder treatin ya?

sorry, just saw the post. Yep my old 350 lb carrying chair was about 60 lbs, new 250 size is about 40lbs.

Der Spyder is behaving lately. Had some electrical problems; warranty replaced a coil and a shot battery at 5k miles.

She's in hibernation at the moment, I take her out once a week for a spin around the block to warm her up. 12" of snow tonight in the Toledo Ohio:mad:area.

Where the hell is Spring?:yikes:

roller
04-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Hey John, check out www.bike-on.com and speak with Scott. These are the best prices on the full range of chairs and there is a classifieds. It's hard to find something used that fits the bill measurment wise but you might get lucky. Cheers, Roller:thumbup:

LittleJohn
04-17-2010, 05:41 PM
Hey John, check out www.bike-on.com (http://www.bike-on.com) and speak with Scott. These are the best prices on the full range of chairs and there is a classifieds. It's hard to find something used that fits the bill measurment wise but you might get lucky. Cheers, Roller:thumbup:

Thanks Roller!