PDA

View Full Version : Just had my software update done and...

Lamonster
08-13-2009, 05:31 PM
... all is well. It still runs great, it still shifts fine and it still steers fine. I honestly can't say I can tel any improvement. It "may" run a bit smoother or it may be I just think it's running a bit smoother. :dontknow:

Ron and I both had ours done at the same time and the whole thing took about 20 min. for both of them.

I have a Hindle pipe, No Magic air filter and a Juicebox

Ron has a Yoshi pipe, free flowing air filter and a Juicebox

Our ride home was just over 80 miles and right now I see no need for adjustment on mine or Ron's JB. There is no surging, no gurgling and no more backfiring than before.

I will say I was a tad bit concerned about doing this seeing both our Spyders were running great before we took it to the dealer after reading some of the post here. I have no idea why some are doing just fine or better after the firmware update and some are having problems. I will say it must not have anything to do with pipes or other mods or both Ron and I should have had problems.

barb36jack31
08-13-2009, 05:37 PM
Going to have my download done soon. I have been out of the country for a couple of weeks, and my recall letter was waiting for me when I got home.

Lamonster
08-13-2009, 06:18 PM
The plug on the right was before the juice box. The plug on the left is from after a 80+ mile run after the update. As you can see it's not running lean at all, plug looks great. :thumbup:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=5443

BLACK WIDOW
08-13-2009, 09:54 PM
... all is well. It still runs great, it still shifts fine and it still steers fine. I honestly can't say I can tel any improvement. It "may" run a bit smoother or it may be I just think it's running a bit smoother. :dontknow:

Ron and I both had ours done at the same time and the whole thing took about 20 min. for both of them.

I have a Hindle pipe, No Magic air filter and a Juicebox

Ron has a Yoshi pipe, free flowing air filter and a Juicebox

Our ride home was just over 80 miles and right now I see no need for adjustment on mine or Ron's JB. There is no surging, no gurgling and no more backfiring than before.

I will say I was a tad bit concerned about doing this seeing both our Spyders were running great before we took it to the dealer after reading some of the post here. I have no idea why some are doing just fine or better after the firmware update and some are having problems. I will say it must not have anything to do with pipes or other mods or both Ron and I should have had problems.

Mine ran good for about 300 miles before it began messing up. Runs good now but took a little tweaking on the JB. Hope yours hangs in there.

Michael:doorag:

Donk45
08-13-2009, 10:18 PM
after the 1300 mile trip (probably the last 300 miles) mine began running like crap and sputtering. I thought it was because it had been on for like 8 hours, but havent driven it again yet. If it is indeed going to run like that, what can I do? Anything, or do I need to take it in?

Big Arm
08-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Had mine done two weeks ago tomorrow, and after approx 300 miles, it is now starting to sputter backfire and miss. Tonight after a 50 mile ride, I really noticed it sputtering around 20 mph to 35 mph
As far as the steering goes, I definitly noticed a difference for the better.
Can this fuel update be un-done ??? :dontknow:

pathfinderjoe
08-13-2009, 11:34 PM
No problems yet. Approx 120 miles since upgrade was installed. Have NMN air filter, Venom muffler, Juice Box. Headed for a 200 mile run to the WA. coast tomorrow - got my fingers crossed.

Some Guy
08-14-2009, 06:08 AM
My Spyder is getting the 6,000 service and recall update next Tuesday. I have a Micron (no JB) and I'm debating reinstalling the original exhaust for this update so BRP can't blame the Micron if there is trouble.

Is this worth doing? :helpsmilie:

BajaRon
08-14-2009, 06:23 AM
My Spyder is getting the 6,000 service and recall update next Tuesday. I have a Micron (no JB) and I'm debating reinstalling the original exhaust for this update so BRP can't blame the Micron if there is trouble.

Is this worth doing? :helpsmilie:

No...

wildwillie
08-14-2009, 06:26 AM
I got the same problem was running great befor recall running terrible now. I did't get 10mi down the road I notice it backfireing and loading up with fuel. I called the service mrg. that done the recall he said that he did't do anything that would cause it. I guess maybe some of the program may be bad who knows
. What I would like to know is can-am going to stand good to get it fix it.:gaah:wildwillie

vtrider
08-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Had my steering software update done today. Everything is running fine so far. I'll know more as I get more miles on it. For now no complaints!

Dudley
08-14-2009, 07:09 PM
OK, my input. I had the steering upgrade, etc., done at BigArm's dealer in Worthington, MN during our journey. Spyder ran like a charm, until....then the first time I noticed it running like a spastic rabbit in first gear was when we had ridden in slow traffic and got to about 5 bars....and it seemed to only be that way in first gear and low RPMs. Open the throttle and it wants to smooth out some, shift to second and all seems to work as usual. And....it doesn't do it every time. But I can say it ran a lot better before the upgrade. I would really like to have the former fuel mixture, if that's what was changed. The steering is a lot better....much easier to steer through curves, etc.
Now that we are back in the desert, I will see if it runs bad here. Maybe the roughness is caused by climatic changes...humidity, wetness, etc. I have no clue, just a guess.

terry2718
08-15-2009, 03:42 PM
I had my upgrade installed Tues. at Motorsports of Tampa. It ran great all the way there but after the upgrade it spit and sputtered. I was only about 3 miles away so I called them and described what it was doing. They told me this was the first time they had heard of it doing this. I took it back, the mechanic rode it and told me he felt it hesitating. I told him the hesitation happens as it spits and sputters. For what ever reason I could'nt make him understand what I meant. He made a call to Can-Am, they told him they were aware of the hesitation but not the other. He said they will work on it and get back to them. They had him unhook the wire that goes to the emissions canister. It does run better but smells real rich. I even had them unhook the battery and wait 30 mins. to reset the computer like I had read on here. It didn't work! Any body else had this happen, right after the update? Any suggestions for me?
Thanks for any help, Terry

BajaRon
08-15-2009, 03:50 PM
I had my upgrade installed Tues. at Motorsports of Tampa. It ran great all the way there but after the upgrade it spit and sputtered. I was only about 3 miles away so I called them and described what it was doing. They told me this was the first time they had heard of it doing this. I took it back, the mechanic rode it and told me he felt it hesitating. I told him the hesitation happens as it spits and sputters. For what ever reason I could'nt make him understand what I meant. He made a call to Can-Am, they told him they were aware of the hesitation but not the other. He said they will work on it and get back to them. They had him unhook the wire that goes to the emissions canister. It does run better but smells real rich. I even had them unhook the battery and wait 30 mins. to reset the computer like I had read on here. It didn't work! Any body else had this happen, right after the update? Any suggestions for me?
Thanks for any help, Terry

All of this is very strange. Same update and a variety of experiences. Lamont could not tell any difference before and after (maybe they gave him the Placebo install?!).

I could definitely feel and hear an improvement in the way mine ran and it ran very well BEFORE I took it in.

Can't say I notice any difference in the steering but I will pay more attention to that when I ride next. I've been concentrating on the engine because that's where eveyone seems to have issues.

spyderwoman
08-15-2009, 04:41 PM
mine has done the same since the upgrade too, the spitting, sputtering, etc....however today she pulled something new. we went on a ride to day with some fellow spyderlovers-nexus, blue, spyrog, blue's brother , my hubby and myself. great ride today and good lunch with good people! anyway we were sitting in town at blowing rock, lots of shops, people and traffic...i was sitting in traffic and i noticed my bars-they jumped from 4 to 8 in seconds!!! she went into limp mode so we found parking and pulled off the road. the fan wasn't coming on. nexus and hubby checked the relays and boy were they all hot. they took them out and replugged them and the fan finally kicked in. we got back on the parkway in cooler air and it would not go below 5 bars for awhile. i finally got it to go to 4 bars up grandfather mountain. limp mode never came back on. and today the check engine light did not come on. before the battery thing it would come on 2-3 times a trip. ( we had done the battery thing again , this time leaving it unplugged overnight, then let it idle 15 minutes. ) when we left this morning she ran a little better, did not spit and sputter too bad until after she overheated. she's never overheated before so who knows? still love her and we had a great little ride today...heck if she lays down somewhere i've got tow service through our insurance, i'll just keep on riding...

BajaRon
08-15-2009, 04:47 PM
mine has done the same since the upgrade too, the spitting, sputtering, etc....however today she pulled something new. we went on a ride to day with some fellow spyderlovers-nexus, blue, spyrog, blue's brother , my hubby and myself. great ride today and good lunch with good people! anyway we were sitting in town at blowing rock, lots of shops, people and traffic...i was sitting in traffic and i noticed my bars-they jumped from 4 to 8 in seconds!!! she went into limp mode so we found parking and pulled off the road. the fan wasn't coming on. nexus and hubby checked the relays and boy were they all hot. they took them out and replugged them and the fan finally kicked in. we got back on the parkway in cooler air and it would not go below 5 bars for awhile. i finally got it to go to 4 bars up grandfather mountain. limp mode never came back on. and today the check engine light did not come on. before the battery thing it would come on 2-3 times a trip. ( we had done the battery thing again , this time leaving it unplugged overnight, then let it idle 15 minutes. ) when we left this morning she ran a little better, did not spit and sputter too bad until after she overheated. she's never overheated before so who knows? still love her and we had a great little ride today...heck if she lays down somewhere i've got tow service through our insurance, i'll just keep on riding...

Relays tend tol get hot even if they are working correctly. If they are not seated well (Loose) they will tend to get REALLY hot. Loose relays seem to be a problem with the Spyder.

I'm not sure why this is as ther there is foam rubber in the top of the cover that keeps the relays seated well.

Questions
08-15-2009, 06:55 PM
want a larger front sprocket for drive belt,one or two more teeth.do you know of a place to buy one?

omac546
08-15-2009, 08:40 PM
Just got the recall done on my :spyder2: . Thought the following results were interesting.

Before recall: Effort to start turn to right 6.3 lbs (no forward movement.)
Effort to start turn to left 6.0 lbs (no forward movement.)

After recall and 58 mile ride home.
Effort to start turn to right 5.5 lbs (no forward movement.)
Effort to start turn to left 5.3 lbs (no forward movement.)

Before recall: Effort to turn at 5 mph. 3.4 lbs right and left.
After recall: Same as above.

It is to little of a difference for me to feel and I have had no issues with sputtering or engine lag before or after the upgrade.

How was the test done? My son runs a performance bike test center for some to the hottest bikes on the road. He used a rolling pull gauge on a pivot deck.

This is just for-what-its-worth.

patches
08-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Got mine done yesterday and have rode about 400 miles since. A bit of improvment in the steering and is run just fine. I did have a slight sputter in 2nd before the update, now, no sputter but I also had the belt tension done and the hinder resealed because I was lazy. Plugs look just like Lamonts but I only have 12K.

Lamonster
08-15-2009, 08:48 PM
I just took another little ride and the Spyder is running great. There is no weak point through out the rpm range. I really am sorry all of you have not had the same results as I did from the upgrade.

Tilty
08-15-2009, 09:02 PM
My wife and I both have spyders and both had the recall work and it was like equal timing about 150 miles they both started backfiring and sputtering around 25-35 at low rpms.

Looks like we all have another update coming!