PDA

View Full Version : Spyder just died while riding

Questions
08-13-2009, 11:09 AM
I have a 2008 SM5 Spyder. The modifications were done at the dealership when it was purchased. I have ridden over 3,500 trouble free miles until just last week;). On my return home from a 100 mile ride I was slowing down and downshifted from 5th to 4th gear when my Spyder just died:(. It is like hitting the kill switch except that I didn’t. I was still rolling (I had the clutch handle pulled) and after checking everything, I hit the start button and the Spyder started right up. I haven't had any problems since;). I cannot imagine what would have happened if I didn't engage the clutch. Has anyone experienced this problem? My Spyder has not been updated yet for the steering recall.

j45p3r
08-13-2009, 12:02 PM
I have a 2008 SM5 Spyder. The modifications were done at the dealership when it was purchased. I have ridden over 3,500 trouble free miles until just last week;). On my return home from a 100 mile ride I was slowing down and downshifted from 5th to 4th gear when my Spyder just died:(. It is like hitting the kill switch except that I didn’t. I was still rolling (I had the clutch handle pulled) and after checking everything, I hit the start button and the Spyder started right up. I haven't had any problems since;). I cannot imagine what would have happened if I didn't engage the clutch. Has anyone experienced this problem? My Spyder has not been updated yet for the steering recall.

Mine had stalled (like hitting the kill switch) 3 times, but all three happened after I pulled up to a stop sign. It always starts right back up again. When I had it in for the 600 mile service the tech said the only code stored in the computer was something about the ECM losing communication with the key. He found the negative cable on the battery was loose so he tightened it, however, the bike has stalled once since then, so that wasn't it. That said, it's been a couple weeks and several hundred miles since the last time it happened.

bubbahetzel
08-13-2009, 12:25 PM
I was on a short ride the other day and mine died also. I was stopped in the turning lane, clutch pulled in, and in first gear. The Spyder just died. Pushed the start button and she fired right back up. It didnt jump or anything, just died. Have not had this happen before, or since.:dontknow:

sabunim5
08-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Check the connections at the battery itself, not the terminals under the seat. Also check the battery itself. Is it fully charged? Not necessarily the cause, but a good place to start.

SpyderGirl
08-13-2009, 03:06 PM
I also suspect you might have a loose battery connection.

Lamonster
08-13-2009, 03:27 PM
I've had it happen before too and couldn't tell you why. :dontknow:

welcome

caser
08-13-2009, 05:53 PM
This happened to me several times. After begging dealer to talk to BRP they changed the key switch and I have not had the problem since and have driven it over 10 k since the fix.

412Spyder
08-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Thats odd, mine has done the same thing. im rocking a little over 2000 miles and i find that sometimes when i downshift into 4th gear i get a backfire and it shuts off. doesnt throw and error or anything, i just restart and it keeps going. Ever since this has happened ive noticed backfire every no and then as well. Someone else on this board had the same problem when going into fourth as well i believe. i cant find the thread but try a search.