PDA

View Full Version : is the 1" riser worth buying

pjense2002
08-12-2009, 12:38 AM
i need the steering upgrade and they will have that riser exposed i thought it would be the perfect time to upgrade
just wonderin if anybody likes or dislikes it

pjense2002
08-12-2009, 12:39 AM
not upgrade but recall

Star Cruiser
08-12-2009, 12:53 AM
i need the steering upgrade and they will have that riser exposed i thought it would be the perfect time to upgrade
just wonderin if anybody likes or dislikes it
I like the 1" Risers. I am 5'4" and find that I am pretty comfortable.
Are you sure that they will have the handlebars exposed? I thought that the upgrade was software, not any physical changes.

mrb
08-12-2009, 01:26 AM
1 - I don't think the steering recall will involve removing the bars- its purely a software update.

2- in my opinion the BRP 1" riser does little , I ended up adding the 3" No Magic Neon risers onto my bars that already had the 1" BRP riser. However we all have different riding positions.

pjense2002
08-12-2009, 02:54 AM
there are 2 recalls 1 is the steering knuckle and the other is just software
I thought the same thing until i saw the papers at the dealership
they have to remove the handlebars and expose the riser 100 percent
the service manager said that he would "treat me good" on the swap because of the ease of the swap

fastfraser
08-12-2009, 04:43 AM
1 - I don't think the steering recall will involve removing the bars- its purely a software update.

2- in my opinion the BRP 1" riser does little , I ended up adding the 3" No Magic Neon risers onto my bars that already had the 1" BRP riser. However we all have different riding positions.

:agree:! Inch will do very little. Get the NMN 3 or 4 inch riser.

BumbleBee
08-12-2009, 05:41 AM
I don't think the 1" riser will do much good, I am getting the 4" riser. Go with the 3" or 4" risers.

mc2276
08-12-2009, 06:43 AM
I really like the 1" riser. Have ridden one without it, and feel that I am just leaning to far forward. I am 5'9". Still want the 3" risers from NMN, but that is because they will push the grips just that bit closer to me.

NancysToy
08-12-2009, 07:04 AM
We had the 1" riser from day one. It was real good for 6'0" me, and adequate for 5'2" Nancy, although she usually scooted forward on the seat a bit. Riding position is still sportsbike-like. After ger knee surgery and the BRP comfort seat that sat her further back and up a bit, plus didn't allow moving forward in the seat as readily, we needed to add the 3" ESI risers for her. At first I thought they were a frill, but one ride changed my mind! They are the most remarkable improvement on the Spyder to date! If I were doing it again, I would skip the 1" riser and go straight for the 4" ESI (NMN).

ptoemmes
08-12-2009, 08:14 AM
We had the 1" riser from day one. It was real good for 6'0" me, and adequate for 5'2" Nancy, although she usually scooted forward on the seat a bit. Riding position is still sportsbike-like. After ger knee surgery and the BRP comfort seat that sat her further back and up a bit, plus didn't allow moving forward in the seat as readily, we needed to add the 3" ESI risers for her. At first I thought they were a frill, but one ride changed my mind! They are the most remarkable improvement on the Spyder to date! If I were doing it again, I would skip the 1" riser and go straight for the 4" ESI (NMN).

I have to agree...well I don't have to, but I do. :agree:

Put my 3" on last weekend (had the 1"). AMAZING...almost makes me want to retake an ole Newtonian Physics course. :yikes:

Pete

SpyderGirl
08-12-2009, 09:58 AM
I was surprised how much difference the 1" riser made. Depends on who you are and how you ride. A lot of people like the No Magic Neon risers instead of, or in addition to, the BRP 1" riser. They look really nice. I'd probably get the NMN risers if I knew I wouldn't have issues with the install since I have my speakers mounted to my handlebars.

jnt
08-12-2009, 10:40 AM
We think the BRP 1" riser is a great idea. If for no other reason, it gives access to the hard-to-reach bolts on the underside for any future bar upgrades. Yes, we added additional height, which would have been difficult without the riser.

Do it again? Innaminnit.

sabunim5
08-12-2009, 11:09 AM
I'm glad I got the 1" riser. I'm 5' 8".

bone crusher
08-12-2009, 11:26 AM
The one inch riser is an improvement...if you like it and think more is needed, then ESI's riser is good to go. I'll likely be getting mine soon...

igor
08-12-2009, 11:56 AM
i have 1"BRP riser and it is ok for me.

QuadManiac
08-12-2009, 01:52 PM
there are 2 recalls 1 is the steering knuckle and the other is just software. I thought the same thing until I saw the papers at the dealership

I am unaware of any hardware based recalls, especially related to steering... have I missed something or is this dealer confused?

BTW, my Spyder City 3" is just perfect for me, although it has no adjustability as compared to the NMN risers.

Tripod
08-12-2009, 03:42 PM
1" riser...a lot of effort for so little gain. If you indeed want a more cruiserlike posture, get the 3" of 4" kit. They also tame some of the handlebar vibration.

Tripod :joke:

pjense2002
08-12-2009, 08:06 PM
i actually saw the recall notice at the dealership
1 was a software update
and a set of papers was for 2009 es and ms steering knuckle recall
i believe it said something about a set screw just above the bearing
but I am not that mechanically inclined so please forgive the insolence

RodO
08-13-2009, 11:24 PM
I just had the BRP 1" riser installed and have only 65 km (30 miles) with on the ride from the dealer's. I like it much better than the stock position, but may still get the 3" as well. I'll give it a few days of testing before I decide.

As others have said, it's well worth having the dealer install it because of the bolts holding the cover being a bugger to remove. Mine actually had to have the head replaced after the installer stripped one of the nuts on the new riser. Still only charger me the 1 hour which I assume their book says it should take.

Rod.

Spyder#353
08-14-2009, 04:11 AM
In my opinion the BRP 1" riser does little , I ended up adding the 3" No Magic Neon risers onto my bars that already had the 1" BRP riser. :agree:

aubierules
08-14-2009, 07:48 AM
:agree:! Inch will do very little. Get the NMN 3 or 4 inch riser.
i disagree...im 6'2 and the one inch riser is just right, for me

Magic Man
08-14-2009, 12:26 PM
I had the BRP 1 inch riser on my Spyder since day one (12/8/07). Needless to say it was better than nothing, but it was still so lacking that is why we now sell risers. At a height of 5'9" I found it still did not do enough to make my Spyder comfortable for more than 20 minutes.

The BRP 1" riser itself is not too expensive, but the price for the install has run all over the board price wise from what I have heard from my customers. Put those two costs together and many times it is almost as much as a 3" or 4" riser kit is.

MM