PDA

View Full Version : Painting Backrest ?

GoodHouse
08-11-2009, 06:07 PM
When i bought my BRP backrest for my yellow spyder, it was only available in Silver. I like the yellow now. They are about $210 on ebay for new yellow and to get the backrest painted I got a preliminary estimate for $250. So obviously cheaper to buy new.

I was thinking about sanding and painting the backrest myself. Obviously tape and plastic the parts not to be painted, sand the existing finish really well then get a good gloss spray paint. I haven't looked into paints yet but wondering if anyone has tried this or painted any other accessories themselves. If so, what spray paint did you use? What exact Brand and color name matches the yellow the best?

Silver: http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/pict/3501639541598080_7.jpg
Yellow: http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/pict/3900792313988080_1.jpg

Thanks

wyliec
08-11-2009, 06:26 PM
http://www.colorrite.com/matrix-colors.cfm?CFID=1378738&CFTOKEN=72329943

I haven't tried any of them.

Brevet05
08-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Did you talk to your dealer? Mine agreed to swap out my silver seat back for a yellow one, because he wasn't aware they came in colors and just ordered me a silver one a couple of months ago. I was thinking of painting mine as well, but thought I'd ask first. Worked out okay.

GoodHouse
08-11-2009, 06:43 PM
I've had my backrest for about 7 months. It looks brand new but I doubt my dealer will do that. Economy is slow, everyone wants money.

To be honest, I have yet to find any dealer, for cars, powersports, autobody shops etc that give you that warm, welcoming, we do anything for our customers feeling. Once i do, i will give them a lot of business.

For instance... when you go to a powersport place and talk about the spyder, i expect that sales person to be excited, interested, informative, etc... but simply the ones I have been to.. are not.

GoodHouse
08-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the colorite paint link.

I ordered the paint and a can of clear coat with shipping = 60.00
It should be a fun project. I will let you know how it goes.
thanks

bjt
08-11-2009, 07:05 PM
To be honest, I have yet to find any dealer, for cars, powersports, autobody shops etc that give you that warm, welcoming, we do anything for our customers feeling. Once i do, i will give them a lot of business.

That's too bad. Our dealer is always happy to see us and was very excited about selling the Spyder. I have found two car salespeople that I really enjoyed working with over the years and I made it a point to try and buy every car I needed from that person. Even though their dealership didn't carry a specific brand of car I wanted, one of their sister dealerships did. They completed the transaction and had the car delivered to them so I didn't have to drive hundreds of miles to pick up my new car.

czdaryle
08-11-2009, 07:22 PM
I thought about doing it myself too as I had a silver and wanted it black, but after some research and some phone calls I found someone who is powder coating the backrest, rack, and handlebar for $65. He called me the other day and said he tried to powder coat right over the existing paint on one piece but he didn't like the way it came out so he is putting them in overnight to strip all the paint off and then powder coat. For some reason it was hard to find someone. I called all the body shops and a couple of them said they said their work out and gave me this guys number. Let you know how it comes out