PDA

View Full Version : My spyder is 2 weeks old already in the shop

lil45man
08-11-2009, 10:14 AM
I rode my spyder for 2 weeks I put about 590miles on it. I was riding down the highway the oil light came on and I lost acceleration. I pulled over checked the oil it was fine. Started the bike back up the oil light was off started riding came back on and i lost acceleration again. I ended up towing the bike back to CRAZY FREDDY'S in long Island(NOBODY BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS GUY HE IS THE WORSSTT) the bike got there friday they told me they would jump on it today is Tuesday and i call the service department where I am told that they need my permission to open up the motor so they can check why the oil light keeps coming on. Then I asked is everything covered under the warranty they tell me They aren't sure(ARE YOU SERIOUS) To me i think they should give me another bike I don't think I am being unreasonable either. I just smell PROBLEMS.

Lamonster
08-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Sorry about your problems and I hope it's a simple fix. You might want to keep this handy.
Spyder Customer Support (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10017)

Roger
08-11-2009, 10:35 AM
WOW thats alot for a first post but :congrats:welcome I can understand you being upset but look at this way you say you have 590 miles ok so you were about to bring it in for a 600 miles anyway. Now i have been on this board reading alot i can't remember anybody saying anything bad about this guy CRAZY EDDIE but don't you think it would only befare to give him a chance. Although i must say i never heard of anybody opening up the motor before maybe he used the wrong choice of words? i'am sure somebody on here like scotty .
Whatever happens please let us know. good luck. :dontknow:

BumbleBee
08-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Sorry to hear about your spyder.

welcome:congrats: Hope you get your spyder back real soon.

Firefly
08-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Bummer - I think a few have had bad oil sensors--- they should look there first before cracking the engine open.

I really would have thought a company named 'crazy eddie's' would have been on the level-----;)

NancysToy
08-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Sounds like bad oil pressure sensor (there have been a couple of them). Hopefully that is all, and you will be back in business in no time. They can check through BUDS. Better double check for loose relays, too. Opening up a motor is the very last resort, and is expensive. BRP won't give them the go ahead for warranty reimbursement before they check into some other possibilities first. Hope there's another dealer close enough, this one sounds like a lemon.

Lamonster
08-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Bummer - I think a few have had bad oil sensors--- they should look there first before cracking the engine open.

I really would have thought a company named 'crazy eddie's' would have been on the level-----;)
:agree:

I don't see them listed as a Spyder dealer either. :dontknow:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11285

superfly3
08-11-2009, 10:58 AM
welcome wow!:dontknow: sorry about your spyder

cwhcwh
08-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Sorry to hear about your:spyder2:, hope it gets fixed quickly.

lil45man
08-11-2009, 12:43 PM
The name of the shop is Crazy Freddy's here is there website
http://www.777crazy.com/. I spoke to the manager they are still "looking" at it he said he will call me back by 5pm. I read post about bad oil sensors and i let them know that when i had to get it towed there. So now im just waiting but I will keep everybody posted. IT'S BEAUTIFUL OUT TOO. Thanks for the support!

nater1
08-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Hello,

Start a log book, and collect names of people you spoke with. Contact BRP directly every time you have a problem ask for Carlo directly.

lil45man
08-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Thanks I am doing that now

barb36jack31
08-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Isn't it a shame that all we read about is what is crapping out next on the Spyder. I have never heard of a bike with such a huge list of problems. Steering recalls, brake recalls, spontaneous fires, inferior shock cams, various sensor failure, oil blow by, etc., etc, etc. I think we all have a very poor piece of equipment. However, I am impressed with all the loyalty you folks have. You really hang in there and defend both the machine and the company that makes it. For myself, I wouldn't ride it any further from home than I was prepared to walk back from. 65 years of riding and this one really takes the prize!

Smylinacha
08-11-2009, 07:48 PM
welcome Sorry to hear about your Spyder - I hope you get it fixed soon.

VossHog
08-11-2009, 07:49 PM
I love my Spyder, and please nobody take this as me being a negative nancy, but message board responses are beginning to sound like those who defended the quality of the Big 3 auto manufacturers v. the Japanese prior to the Big 3 actually having somewhat comparable quality to said competition.

The quality of the Big 3 was not very good comparatively but folks kept chalking it up to bias of automotive magazines/Consumer Reports, etc...

Turns out, the quality was just not very good and they tested their new products on consumers (see GM especially) rather than performing extensive quality tests internally before they introduced a new product.

While this problem has been solved for the most part, it took an incredible loss of market share and subsequent bankruptcies/bailouts to truly drive home the point.

I have a sneaking suspicion that BRP may have not performed sufficient quality tests prior to rollout. I could be way off base but, if I am, they should consider new quality testers.

Isn't it a shame that all we read about is what is crapping out next on the Spyder. I have never heard of a bike with such a huge list of problems. Steering recalls, brake recalls, spontaneous fires, inferior shock cams, various sensor failure, oil blow by, etc., etc, etc. I think we all have a very poor piece of equipment. However, I am impressed with all the loyalty you folks have. You really hang in there and defend both the machine and the company that makes it. For myself, I wouldn't ride it any further from home than I was prepared to walk back from. 65 years of riding and this one really takes the prize!

Smylinacha
08-11-2009, 07:49 PM

I don't have 65 years of riding but I tend to agree w/ you on the :spyder:being high maintenance.

bone crusher
08-11-2009, 09:29 PM

Not so sure of that...we're hearing the complaints. If we were to go by JD Power and Associates ratings, I'm not so sure we'd be that far down on the list...remember, it's complaints per 1000 vehicles. The best vehicles, such as Lexus and now Buick, have I believe only a couple dozen...the worst are usually the Hummer and junk like that...up to a few hundred complaints.

I think if you looked at the total allotment of Spyders out there and the overall complaints (those that are not caused by the owner fiddling around and ruining something), the actual number of issues would be far lower than we think.

This is a sounding board for people to share ideas and problems...it's normal to get a lot of complaints. I'm curious as to how Suzuki, Honda, HD, and others would fare in a rating against the Spyder...I don't think we'd be at the bottom, or even close...

Just think of the recent recall of tires for motorcycles...how many people had problems (or were killed) until that was figured out? All vehicles have problems. I love my Spyder and have no problem dealing with a few issues...it's a new product and I have no doubt that everything will be ironed out soon enough. BRP's reputation and the future of their products depend on it...

bjt
08-12-2009, 09:20 AM

Have you been having these problems or are you just reading about them? :dontknow:
Don't let someone else's sad story keep you from having a good time.

Lamonster
08-12-2009, 09:26 AM
:agree:
Just read my post and you'll love your Spyder again. :D

swrafey2000
08-12-2009, 09:40 AM
What some people seem to forget is that this is a first generation of bikes.There are always some draw backs to owning one.Can anyone think of a new product that has come out that didn't have problems?The main things seems to be the quick response time to solving them.Sometimes it takes trial and error to correct a problem.If all any company did was keep testing the product till it was perfect before they released it, then the product would never come out.

TONY YOUNG
08-12-2009, 10:54 AM
I have owned a Spyder for a year in a half with over 7500 miles on it, but more importantly I have sold about 30 Spyders personally and around 70 as a Dealership. I have also owned over 20 motorcycles in the last 20 years currently ryding the Spyder, a Harley, and a Ninja 750R. My passion is Bikes!!! I am not easily impressed anymore, my Spyder is still the best "bike" I have ever ridden and the most reliable by a long shot!! Out of all the Spyders that we have sold none of them have come back with any REAL issuse yet. (yes a first we had the E brake recall, then the steering update) but nothing big so far. Knock on wood or whatever, :dontknow: anything man made can have issues but from what I can tell BRP has done a outstanding job in getting these bikes out pretty darn right the first time. Now I know that doesnt help the people who have had issues, but we sure do here alot of negative stuff on spyderlovers that our dealership just is not seeing....Maybe we are just lucky,:2thumbs: but thats alot of Spyders to just be luckynojoke . If yours aint broke keep Ryding and Keep :D.
Just my two cents!! Ryde Happy!!!

3wheeldemon
08-12-2009, 11:26 AM
However, I am impressed with all the loyalty you folks have. You really hang in there and defend both the machine and the company that makes it.

For many of us the Spyder has meant the return/continuance or even first try at motorcycling. We want the product and its manufacturer to succeed so we can continue enjoying that lifestyle. There is no viable alternative from a serious manufacturer other than the twice-the-cost HD rolling sofas. Many of us would love the Japanese giants to join the market, but on the mean time, we are worried that bad press and exaggerated posts could kill the product. My 2 cents...:dontknow:

3WD

spyderwoman
08-12-2009, 11:38 AM
I have had some issues with my bike since the software update but i'm hoping my dealer will get it fixed. she was running perfect until the update and i have not had one issue with the bike except the parking brake not releasing. i admit after my trip this weekend to the devil's triangle and the witches knuckle (love these names) i was upset and in tears....however i have never had so much fun on a motorcycle in my short 6 years of riding. i got mine in nov. 2007 and now have 14000....that's more than my 5 years on my honda bikes. i had a wreck on the parkway 4 years ago and after that i was a nervous rider and did not enjoy it anymore. i still rode hoping that feeling would go away...then along came a :spyder2: and i was sooo hooked. i have rode my spyder in some crazy twisites that i would've never attempted on my honda ace or vtx. my husband said i was riding with so much more confindence and we can now easily do 200-300 miles in a day with no complaints from me or my back! even with all the issues i still think the spyder is an awesome machine and i will not go back to 2 wheels. it is a new product and we all know there will be some bugs to work out. hopefully we won't have any more smoking spyders and brp will come up with some solutions. keep on riding and you will keep on smiling!:2thumbs:

on a totally unrelated subject....speaking of spiders....my 4 year old grandson was bitten by a brown recluse 2 weeks ago. in 5 days he was in 3 different hospitals and had to have 2 surgeries to remove the infected area around the bite. they had to cut to the muscle the last time. poor little fellow is still in pain and he is not allowed to play, run around or do anything to help keep the infection from spreading. he just started racing dirt bikes and now he can't for awhile. the scary thing is he didn't even feel the spider bite him and didn't tell anyone for 2 days. when his whole upper thigh turned purple his dad took him to emergency room and thats when he told them a brown spider had crawled into his shorts. he is going to be ok but i did not realize how vicious these bites can be. we have always been taught here in nc to beware of black widows and they are so easy to spot but the brown recluse hunt at night and they love getting into your closets. ok totally off topic but keep him in your thoughts and prayers! thanks!:pray:

COOLMACHINE
08-12-2009, 03:00 PM
I have 10,000 plus miles on my Spyder now and love it. There is nothing like it as far as I am concerned. The two things I had wrong with it, Yes, only two...(brake squeal and parking brake) have been taken care of right away at the dealership. Shop repairs are not cheap but anything high tech these days is going to cost.
Hopefully, I will never go back to 2 wheels again cause, "I likes my Spyder." :thumbup:

bjt
08-12-2009, 03:49 PM
on a totally unrelated subject....speaking of spiders....my 4 year old grandson was bitten by a brown recluse 2 weeks ago. in 5 days he was in 3 different hospitals and had to have 2 surgeries to remove the infected area around the bite. they had to cut to the muscle the last time. poor little fellow is still in pain and he is not allowed to play, run around or do anything to help keep the infection from spreading. he just started racing dirt bikes and now he can't for awhile. the scary thing is he didn't even feel the spider bite him and didn't tell anyone for 2 days. when his whole upper thigh turned purple his dad took him to emergency room and thats when he told them a brown spider had crawled into his shorts. he is going to be ok but i did not realize how vicious these bites can be. we have always been taught here in nc to beware of black widows and they are so easy to spot but the brown recluse hunt at night and they love getting into your closets. ok totally off topic but keep him in your thoughts and prayers! thanks!:pray:

Sorry to hear about this. I'm praying for his fast recovery.

DynamoBT
08-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Sorry to hear your grandson was bitten. Healing thoughts coming his way!! Hopefully he'll be back on his bike soon!!

barb36jack31
08-12-2009, 04:07 PM
As I said in my original post, I greatly admire the loyalty you folks have for the bike and BRP. I enjoy my Spyder very much. I just don't trust it. Maybe with time this will also change.

Tom in NM
08-12-2009, 04:20 PM

. . . . it is a real shame. I am no fan of the "pity me" or the "the world has shattered my expectations - so I am going to righteously whine about it" crowds. But, I have noticed that they do tend to congregate online. From iPods to T@B Travel Trailers and everything between, they live in the Whine Cellar. Actually, I think SpyderLovers is a good place, with lots of helpful people. And people who show what is possible. The Vocal Victims who complain about everything from water-spots and that the " #$#@% thing does not fly ", can suck the fun out of riding - just like they can suck the fun out of a party.

You have about 15 years of motorcycle riding experience on me, but you must live on a different planet - I don't know of any brand of bike that hasn't had its share of issues - things I have personally seen and in some unfortunate circumstances, even experienced. Even my grandfather's Indian caught on fire - three times.

So far, BRP seems fine to me. Perfect? - No, but I don't know of one company that is. They seem to work hard and from the people I have talked to - they worked hard to make things right. My dealership is a different story all-together, but they are very democratic, they treat all riders - no matter what they ride, poorly. Yup, some heap unrealistic praise on BRP, but actually, I think there are more that are being unreasonable in their 'chip on the shoulder' adversarial stance, but that is just my perception.

Well, besides this, you have probably gotten an ear full. I don't things are as bad as they sound, by far. My experience has been excellent. Sorry to hear you are not confident enough in your Spyder to go more than a mile or two. You are old enough to make up your own mind, my point is, I think it is a shame to base it on what seems to be a very vocal minority or a small sampling of experiences.

Tom

Smylinacha
08-12-2009, 04:46 PM
I have had some issues with my bike since the software update but i'm hoping my dealer will get it fixed. she was running perfect until the update and i have not had one issue with the bike except the parking brake not releasing. i admit after my trip this weekend to the devil's triangle and the witches knuckle (love these names) i was upset and in tears....however i have never had so much fun on a motorcycle in my short 6 years of riding. i got mine in nov. 2007 and now have 14000....that's more than my 5 years on my honda bikes. i had a wreck on the parkway 4 years ago and after that i was a nervous rider and did not enjoy it anymore. i still rode hoping that feeling would go away...then along came a :spyder2: and i was sooo hooked. i have rode my spyder in some crazy twisites that i would've never attempted on my honda ace or vtx. my husband said i was riding with so much more confindence and we can now easily do 200-300 miles in a day with no complaints from me or my back! even with all the issues i still think the spyder is an awesome machine and i will not go back to 2 wheels. it is a new product and we all know there will be some bugs to work out. hopefully we won't have any more smoking spyders and brp will come up with some solutions. keep on riding and you will keep on smiling!:2thumbs:

I hope your grandson feels better! We have 3 tarantulas. One is a meany and will send you to the hospital if bitten. I came very close a couple of years ago. Very scary.

wyliec
08-12-2009, 05:21 PM
. . . . it is a real shame. I am no fan of the "pity me" or the "the world has shattered my expectations - so I am going to righteously whine about it" crowds. But, I have noticed that they do tend to congregate online. From iPods to T@B Travel Trailers and everything between, they live in the Whine Cellar. Actually, I think SpyderLovers is a good place, with lots of helpful people. And people who show what is possible. The Vocal Victims who complain about everything from water-spots and that the " #$#@% thing does not fly ", can suck the fun out of riding - just like they can suck the fun out of a party.

You have about 15 years of motorcycle riding experience on me, but you must live on a different planet - I don't know of any brand of bike that hasn't had its share of issues - things I have personally seen and in some unfortunate circumstances, even experienced. Even my grandfather's Indian caught on fire - three times.

So far, BRP seems fine to me. Perfect? - No, but I don't know of one company that is. They seem to work hard and from the people I have talked to - they worked hard to make things right. My dealership is a different story all-together, but they are very democratic, they treat all riders - no matter what they ride, poorly. Yup, some heap unrealistic praise on BRP, but actually, I think there are more that are being unreasonable in their 'chip on the shoulder' adversarial stance, but that is just my perception.

Well, besides this, you have probably gotten an ear full. I don't things are as bad as they sound, by far. My experience has been excellent. Sorry to hear you are not confident enough in your Spyder to go more than a mile or two. You are old enough to make up your own mind, my point is, I think it is a shame to base it on what seems to be a very vocal minority or a small sampling of experiences.

Tom
:agree::thumbup:

If my spyder should break down, I have the BEST warranty. I'll call and have it picked up, if it is not drivable. It doesn't matter where it happens. Once fixed, I'll drive or fly to pick it up depending on where it broke down. Life's too short to worry about when something may break or fail.

Lamonster
08-12-2009, 06:35 PM

Sorry to hear about your Grandson. I've seen some of the damage those spider can do. I hope he heals up quick and won't be too freaked out about spiders now.

NancysToy
08-12-2009, 07:19 PM
......Even my grandfather's Indian caught on fire - three times.
:D Mine didn't, but enough did that it was always a fear.....especially when it fell on me and trapped me underneath for a few long hours. Fortunately I was able to reach the fuel pet****. Thanks for the reality check and the memories. :yikes: