PDA

View Full Version : download gone bad

steven888
08-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Like I said thursday night. The software down load was awsome. Bike ran so good. It was hard to believe that it ran that good. But it did. 4 days later not so good. I feel the surges and alot of backfire. Very loud backfire. Steering good. Now what? This Sucks. :gaah:
:chat:

Tom in NM
08-11-2009, 12:08 AM
. . . what others have done is disconnect the battery for 30 minutes, to allow the computer to reset/clear.
Reconnect the battery.
Start the Spyder and let it run for 15 minutes or longer - WITHOUT using the throttle, just let it idle.
Then test run and see if the problems are still there.

If they are, call your dealer. If you have a good dealer, it may be a good idea to call them anyway.

Mine is still great after the update, about 2 and a half weeks ago and around 1,000 miles, but the above is what I would do if I started having the problems you are. I would also ride somewhat conservatively for the first 100 miles or so ( or until I forgot ) to allow the Spyder to "learn" its new routines.

Tom

(make sure you read the owner's manual for the correct procedure for disconnecting the battery - see picture below.)

Dragonrider
08-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Tom;

You have an SE, right? Looks like the problems are on the SM's

steven888
08-11-2009, 02:05 PM
. . . what others have done is disconnect the battery for 30 minutes, to allow the computer to reset/clear.
Reconnect the battery.
Start the Spyder and let it run for 15 minutes or longer - WITHOUT using the throttle, just let it idle.
Then test run and see if the problems are still there.

If they are, call your dealer. If you have a good dealer, it may be a good idea to call them anyway.

Mine is still great after the update, about 2 and a half weeks ago and around 1,000 miles, but the above is what I would do if I started having the problems you are. I would also ride somewhat conservatively for the first 100 miles or so ( or until I forgot ) to allow the Spyder to "learn" its new routines.

Tom

(make sure you read the owner's manual for the correct procedure for disconnecting the battery - see picture below.)

Thank's for the info

steven888
08-11-2009, 02:07 PM
No, I have SM5.

bjt
08-11-2009, 05:37 PM
My SM5 has been running great ever since I had the update done (after they changed my DPS that i figured was bad anyways). Been almost a week but I've only been riding back and forth to work so far. Probably about 15 miles per day for 6 days. I had a long ride planned for Saturday but we had a long rainstorm that put the kaibosh on those plans. Hopefully I'm not going to be joining you in the group that's had problems after the update.

fred
08-11-2009, 05:51 PM
my SM did not run so well right after the software install; this was Friday;went back to dealer on Monday for new exhaust gaskets, one was burnt right thru... at that time i mentioned that the Spyder was not running well... they looked at me sdeways and said it could have been the burnt gasket; today,a week later (another Monday) and its still not running right...but... after talking with the dealer... they had had more complaints ... BRP are at a loss and are trying to figure it out they tell me; for now, they want me in ... to re-install sofware... this i will do Friday (i can't get time off any earlier)

steven888
08-11-2009, 06:37 PM
Took the battery cables off for 40 min. Put it all back together and ran it on an idle for 20 min. Now it has cooled down so I am going for a nice little ride to dee whats up. I will give an update later.

Tom in NM
08-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Tom;

You have an SE, right? Looks like the problems are on the SM's

. . . . I own a SE5. I have not been tracking if SM5 or SE5s are more likely to have a problem. Hard to tell, given the numbers and total population. I do know one SE5 rider with a problem after the update.

Besides the obvious problems with aftermarket products that effect how the Spyder runs needing to be re-tuned to the new program, the other issue seems to be ( my pure speculation ) issues centering around the Gear Position Sensor - everybody's favorite usual suspect. One rider wrote about how on one of his Spyder's it needed to be replaced, but on another, it was a very small adjustment, it just needed to be reseated. The update seems to unmask some marginal errors or accentuate them. Only BRP knows what sensors the new program modifies, filters, or ignores - and under what conditions.

So, yes, maybe those problems people used to have (I have not heard this being such a big issue lately) with SE5 and shifting exposed their GPS problems and got them fixed - so the update may statistically work better on SE5s because of it. The SM5s that may have had a iffy GPS, may have not noticed or experienced any problems, given the nature of SM5s being "simpler", until they got the update.

I think we can all agree that there is just too much that we don't know.

Did the dealer do the upgrade exactly to the specs?
Did they not let the Spyder 'reset' and re-learn its basics for the proper amount of time?
Did they test drive it too aggressively - to just test the steering?
Were they given enough information?
Should we have been advised that we should ride the updated Spyder like we did when we were breaking it in?
. . . . . and the list goes on.

At any rate, I think the advice I gave above is a first step if you or I experience the Post Update Blues. If that does not work, it is up to the dealer and BRP to sort it out, there really does not seem to be anything else you can do. Panic, wailing, and worry do not seem to make any difference.

Tom

steven888
08-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Ok, Here are my results after riding 35 miles. Started the spyder and drove off. It was running terrible. The worst ever. It sputtered, hesitated, surged and back fired like a piece of crap.I could not find 1 smooth rev. This went on for 10 min. I kept riding with hope it would balance out. Between 10 and 20 mles into the ride. It Began running better. I noticed it was smooth again with less backfiring. I could not believe it. So I keep riding. It only gets better as I go on. Now I feel it running the way it did when they first did the download. The trottle was responding better and crisper.The power was right on the money. I got on the freeway and did 70 MPH and it was smooth as a fine tuned ferrari. Got off the freeway and now had 30 miles done. It still ran great with little backfiring. I will keep riding and monitoring this situation. Hope it all stays well. This is an SM5.
:yes: