PDA

View Full Version : Did an idiotic thing

acdcking12
06-08-2020, 07:08 AM
So I have been using the Promotex Disc brake quiet spray to keep my brakes my squeaking. Well, I guess I got a bit crazy one night and sprayed it on more than just the pads area. I didn't catch that until the next day. Well, the area I sprayed it on now has a washed out look. Like it seems to have taken off some of the black in areas. Like on the main bar area where they were welded. It has a weird feel to it now, and now has some white where the black used to be.

I wish I had taken a pic this morning, but forgot to do so.

You can't really notice it unless you are really looking at it. So at a glance, it isn't horribly bad. I tried cleaning it as best that I can, but it seems that this discoloration is permanent. Will it cause issues down the road?

Grandpot
06-08-2020, 07:39 AM
Did you spray on the pad material and the rotors? This stuff should be sprayed on the metal back plate only.

acdcking12
06-08-2020, 07:46 AM
Oh yeah. I did. I did not realize that. So I feel I sort of messed up some, infortunately.

Grandpot
06-08-2020, 08:29 AM
The noise from the brakes comes from the metal back plate rubbing on the caliper piston. The correct way to apply a brake spray or brake paste is to remove the pads, apply to the back side, reassemble. Right now you have some clean up to do. You may even have to install new pads.

EdMat
06-08-2020, 09:50 AM
Looking at the Permatex SDS and TDS for this product and it does not list the polymer they are using. Most likely that is the discoloration you are seeing. It's not good that it got on the pads or the rotors. You may be able to use something like lighter fluid to remove it. Soak and rub. You may have to finish by using some fine gritted sandpaper.

acdcking12
06-08-2020, 10:01 AM
Looking at the Permatex SDS and TDS for this product and it does not list the polymer they are using. Most likely that is the discoloration you are seeing. It's not good that it got on the pads or the rotors. You may be able to use something like lighter fluid to remove it. Soak and rub. You may have to finish by using some fine gritted sandpaper.

Do you think it is possible to remove the discoloration?

EdMat
06-08-2020, 11:44 AM
If it just the polymer causing the discoloration then you might get lucky. If the solvents managed to get the polymer deep into the surface then probably not.

pegasus1300
06-08-2020, 12:44 PM
A little VHT black spray paint should take care of that after you clean it.

acdcking12
06-08-2020, 12:48 PM
A little VHT black spray paint should take care of that after you clean it.

Worried I would get paint where it shouldnt be.

pegasus1300
06-08-2020, 02:32 PM
that's what masking tape is for, or take the part off, or wrap it in newspaper.

BajaRon
06-08-2020, 02:43 PM
I would be more worried about stopping than discoloration. At least until you figure out what this product has done to your pad and rotor surfaces. Not sure what effect the compounds in that product would have on these components. But it could be a safety issue. I would be very careful until you're sure your Spyder still stops well. A good quality Rattle Can Black will fix the color situation. Just be sure the surface to be painted is very clean and has no residue of anything on it.

I use tape, newspaper, cardboard, or whatever works for keeping the paint where I want it. If you paint right to the tape you will have a noticeable line. To avoid that, just hang a curtain of news paper and let the paint taper off at the edges.

acdcking12
06-10-2020, 12:26 PM
I would be more worried about stopping than discoloration. At least until you figure out what this product has done to your pad and rotor surfaces. Not sure what effect the compounds in that product would have on these components. But it could be a safety issue. I would be very careful until you're sure your Spyder still stops well. A good quality Rattle Can Black will fix the color situation. Just be sure the surface to be painted is very clean and has no residue of anything on it.

I use tape, newspaper, cardboard, or whatever works for keeping the paint where I want it. If you paint right to the tape you will have a noticeable line. To avoid that, just hang a curtain of news paper and let the paint taper off at the edges.

Thank you Ron. I am able to stop without issue. Not sure if I can paint those components. Might just leave them as they are since it is not affecting the functionality of the bike. Plus you cant see any of it unless you look directly at it from up close.

Ill just clean it all up to the best of my ability and call it a day.

BlueF3Ltd
06-10-2020, 08:28 PM
You aren't the first and will not be the last to do idiotic things. I trailered my F3 behind my motor home. Undid the tie down straps but left one strap too close to the front left wheel. The strap hook caught on the wheel spoke as I backed it off the trailer. Strap wrapped around the wheel and damaged the speed sensor and sensor wheel. Just got my F3 Limited back today. $99 diagnosis labor. $99 repair labor. $93 for the new parts. Add shop supplies and tax. Total came to $316. Learned the hard way to be more careful taking it off the trailer.

nightcruiser
06-10-2020, 10:11 PM
Only in your mind.
LOL