PDA

View Full Version : Wind Chill Factor

gkamer
06-07-2020, 08:59 AM
I know it's a little early to bring up this topic, but...............

As you're going down the road, is the force of the wind that is hitting your face equal to your speed? In other words if you're going 25 miles per hour is the wind in your face equal to wind blowing at 25 miles per hour? More? Less? How do you compute....

bigbadbrucie
06-07-2020, 09:12 AM
I’m thinking that if it’s a perfectly calm day...no wind, then it would have to be, but add a 1 mile per hour wind.......

Gwolf
06-07-2020, 09:21 AM
Wind chill factor has nothing to do with head winds or tail winds. It is about the additional air movements affect on the body. If you cover all exposed skin it can cut down on wind chill, but there are charts for the affect of wind chill on any exposed skin. The head winds or tail winds have to be figured in to the forward movement speeds and only the actual air speed hitting the exposed skin is used in figuring wind chill.

https://www.weather.gov/images/grb/outreach/new-wchill.gif

Lew L
06-07-2020, 10:00 AM
I know it's a little early to bring up this topic, but...............

As you're going down the road, is the force of the wind that is hitting your face equal to your speed? In other words if you're going 25 miles per hour is the wind in your face equal to wind blowing at 25 miles per hour? More? Less? How do you compute....

Of course ---- it depends:
As you asked about wind force ( wind speed in MPH so to speak) on your face ----- are you behind a huge plastic wind shield on the :spyder2: OR a cafe faring ( like on my V-Max) . We can have ZERO wind pressure behind that barn door of a windshield OR faster than the bike is traveling above the cafe faring ( think airplane wing section).

But in "free" air --- I think it would be the same " force" hitting you face as the measured wind speed. Pressure is actually a bit higher at the very front----- that why ram air intakes work much better in the very front rather than just an opening on the front of the fairing ( this extension in front of the air intake is called a Kouchman defuser , Reference to Kevin Cameron). Think of the air intake on a jet engine. Made one for the ram air intake on my ZX-11

Lew L
06-07-2020, 10:06 AM
I don't know for sure what gk wanted to know?????
Wind chill has been expertly addressed.
BUT--- wind force is:

Wind pressure is given by the equation P = 0.00256 x V times V, where V is the speed of the wind in miles per hour (mph). The unit for wind pressure is pounds per square foot (psf). For example, if the wind speed is 70 mph, the wind pressure is 0.00256 x 70x70 = 12.5 pounds per square foot.

No wonder our necks get tired.

pegasus1300
06-07-2020, 11:04 AM
To help us get you the answer you are looking for what was the purpose behind your question?