PDA

View Full Version : Hydration on long rides

MNF3
06-06-2020, 06:12 AM
I have a cup holder on the bars of my 2016 F3-t, but it’s a pain to drink while driving. The Camelback systems look good to use, but really don’t want to wear a backpack.
Has anyone mounted one as a tank bag?
How do you keep hydrated on long rides?
Bob

JayBros
06-06-2020, 06:36 AM
I'm quite prejudiced on the topic because I've worn a Camelbak for almost 40 years as a long distance bicyclist. Do you have a driver's backrest? Do you ride two up? There are hydration packs that can be worn at the waist. IMO, there is no better way to stay hydrated and there are scientific studies that show it. You don't need to try one that carries five gallons; try a smaller size in a waist pack.

Peter Aawen
06-06-2020, 08:53 AM
:agree: A small hydration pack in the tank bag (used to go under the dog) & a larger one on the Rivco expandable trunk rack behind the pillion seat. :thumbup:

AeroPilot
06-06-2020, 08:56 AM
http://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-am-spyder-f3-fmb-bottle-holder-lamonster-ips/ Wife loves it on her 16 F3T---especially as her med condition requires staying hydrated.

Spares on ice in the frunk.

fjray
06-06-2020, 09:35 AM
Used a Camelbak for years for iron butt rides. Hydration is critical and a water bottle in the trunk does no good. If it's close and easy you'll use it. In hot weather I put ice in it and it helps keep you cool with it on your back.

Fat Baxter
06-06-2020, 06:45 PM
I've thought about using a Camelbak, but I can't get the mouthpiece under my full-coverage helmet. The chin piece doesn't have enough room to allow use. If you have a 3/4 helmet, there's obviously no problem. So what's the fix?

Woodaddict
06-06-2020, 07:47 PM
MNF3...……………..try a insulated alum small dia tall container. bought mine at Walmart. it has flip top spout, that works by thumb, internal straw that goes to bottom, so you don't have to tilt head. I think it might be a for bicycles

Peter Aawen
06-06-2020, 08:34 PM
I've thought about using a Camelbak, but I can't get the mouthpiece under my full-coverage helmet. The chin piece doesn't have enough room to allow use. If you have a 3/4 helmet, there's obviously no problem. So what's the fix?

My camelback tube comes into the helmet (Shoei GT-Air, so think 'close fitting':rolleyes: ) just below my left ear & behind/under the angle of my jaw before it then runs in the angle between the fabric chin cover & the helmet chin-bar along my jaw-line to put the 'bite-mouthpiece' immediately in front of my mouth. It's a bit tight in there immediately in front of my mouth, but I'm not aware of it anywhere else (& I usually have a fairly full beard too!) & it doesn't interfere with my speaking clarity plus it makes it easy to grab the mouthpiece with my teeth & take a drink whenever I need/want to. :ohyea:

Often, all it takes is a little bit of lateral thought - everyone usually has that hollow below their ear, and very few helmets block that completely with anything more than some soft cushioning fabric covered foam..... then unless the chin bar of the full-face helmet is REALLY close to your face, the angle between the chin-bar & the bottom fabric chin cover forms an ideal hollow for 'drinking tube' to run along, so for most, the only issue will be to choose where to put the mouthpiece so they can access it.... that is, if they just don't keep it between their teeth/in the side of their mouth all the time, which I often find myself doing when I'm ryding solo/on the track &/or concentrating strongly on the ryding! ;)

Anyhow, some food for thought - that's what I do, & it works for me & many I've suggested/shown it to.... Over to you! Good Luck!:thumbup:

JayBros
06-06-2020, 08:35 PM

Might you have room to use a straight bite valve, raise your face shield and stuff the tube in to get a drink? I wear a Shoei Neotec and sunglasses and I raise the chin piece to take a drink.

MNF3
06-06-2020, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the replies! Ice in the backpack would make it much more tolerable to wear.
I see a lot of knock-offs, are any of the cheaper ones worth it?

cptjam
06-06-2020, 10:34 PM
I forgot my camelbak and bought a cheapo. Leaked and was useless in one trip. My 100 ounce camelbak is 10 years old, and works perfectly!

Bfromla
06-06-2020, 11:04 PM
Several various ways to try, ice in camelback (or others) has helped keep me cool too :thumbup:
Started using when mowing yards, :ohyea: cup holders on my bikes have been disappointing having few bottles blow out :gaah:& have to go fetch, rather than litter:lecturef_smilie: Prefer the in frunk holder & yeti currently. 182014 Combine my hydration with lil stretch walking around wherever. May take longer getting there but I’m out to enjoy not endure. ;) with camelbacks or similar various ways to snake the mouthpiece & keep accessible like looping into button hole or a zipper pull. Cortech Sequoia jacket comes with a hydration bladder pack & appropriately fitted to incorporate with the jackets various functions :2thumbs:

SpyderAnn01
06-06-2020, 11:17 PM
I have a dry bag strapped to the passenger seat and I strap the Camelbak to it. When I wore it, it would get bound on my backrest and that was uncomfortable

PMK
06-07-2020, 06:26 AM
Regarding bicycles, I have been using various models of Camelbacks for years.

My wife and her sister are also off road cyclists. Her sister is a fashion diva, often believing reviews as gospel. For whatever reason, when my wife decided to get me a new Camelback as a gift, she bought an Osprey brand instead. Overall, the Osprey is not bad. The huge disappointment with the Osprey was the bite valve. Ultimately converted the Osprey to a Camelback bite valve.

On the Spyder though, I installed a Butler cup holder designed for insulated metal cups. Butler includes a special lid and straw setup. Overall using it while riding is not bad and it stays cold a long time. We too ride with full coverage Shoei GT Air helmets. Between the backrest and a passenger, there is no space for a Camelback.

If you were creative, I am sure a small insulated reservoir could be placed in the trunk or side bag, then use a low pressure pump and control valve to get water without sucking it from the reservoir.

JayBros
06-07-2020, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the replies! Ice in the backpack would make it much more tolerable to wear.
I see a lot of knock-offs, are any of the cheaper ones worth it?

In a word, NO. Once on a bicycle trip I forgot my Camelbak and bought a cheapo and, like
Joe's it leaked and the bite valve was terrible.

pegasus1300
06-07-2020, 11:33 AM
Pursuant to this discussion I just bought this on Amazon I thought I could attach it some where with the hooks, I have a cup holder now from Diamond R and it works very well except for one thing, the insulated cup is too small, only 20 oz and I can go thru that in a heart beat.

Joe T.
06-07-2020, 02:24 PM
Problem solved:

Bfromla
06-07-2020, 03:40 PM
Problem solved:

Unbranded?:dontknow::roflblack::roflblack::roflbla ck:

jnt
06-07-2020, 03:45 PM
We use camelbacks - mine on my back, w's on the trunk rack. Stop for gas, fill em up with water/icd, ride till empty. Works well for us for miles and miles. Even to Northern Canada. Even in triple digit temps.

PistonBlown
06-09-2020, 03:15 AM
Camelpak again here but my Klim jacket has a special pocket built in for it in the back so don't need to use the backpack part if I don't want to. Also because the jacket has back vents it and the camelpak is on the other side of the armour it stays cool.

I tend to have water mixed with a sports drink in this as the flavour hides any plastic taste and of course the electrolytes in the sports drink help with hydration when I'm riding for a long time (I do iron butt rallies).

I also have a bicycle water bottle holder attached to the front of one of my paniers. Though I use this water bottle as much to squirt onto my visor to help clean bugs off as to drink from.

MNF3
06-09-2020, 05:47 AM
I’ll check out the jacket, thanks.

Steve W.
06-09-2020, 05:59 AM
I must be doing something seriously wrong. :dontknow:

I have never felt the need to take a sip every few minutes. Like Bfromla (post #12), I combine my hydration with a stretch stop, which usually also includes fueling the cycle and its rider.

Just out of curiosity, I have a question for all of you that have these elaborate systems on your cycles. When you are NOT riding, do you always have a water source within reach so you can take a sip?

Lew L
06-09-2020, 10:28 AM
I've become addicted to cold water---- and yes I do keep a 20 oz Yeti on hand------ well type 2 diabetes with it's associated meds contribute to this. But I don't drink much of any thing else either.

Lew L

ARtraveler
06-09-2020, 10:50 AM
When we went to Grove OK rally last year, Linda decided she had to have cup holders mounted on her RT. She got one from Diamond R. I liked it so well, I had one installed on mine also.

Fast forward, when I traded the 2011 off for a new 2019 F3, the cup holder moved from bike to bike. We enjoy our cup holders. We do about 1/2 ice cubes and the rest ice water. Stays cool for mostly three hours. We usually pull over for a sip or two every 25 miles or so. It makes for a good stretch and just breaks up the ride a bit.

On a longer trip, it would be every 50 to 75 miles or so.

MNF3
06-09-2020, 11:53 AM
It is easy to get dehydrated and not realize it. The old rule of thumb is if you don’t have to pee at least every 30 minutes you are not drinking enough, at least when working.

pegasus1300
06-09-2020, 12:27 PM
I certainly don't go that often, even when not riding. Does anybody know, is this still valid? Lew L's comment about type2 makes me wonder how that changes things. I am also type2. I didn't use to be too concerned about hydration in my younger days. Now as I get older, I am more concerned about what I need to do to continue to ride and be safe.

Lew L
06-09-2020, 12:53 PM
Hi Paul, I think it depends on the medication one takes. The one I take for high blood pressure is a diuretic which make me pee more thus more water intake ( per doctors orders ). BP is now normal. I also take a diabetic med that has lowered my A1C and sugar # count close to normal levels ---- It of course makes me pee more--- thus more water intake. AND--- we live in a dry climate- thus more water intake.
Being dehydrated is not a good thing, and it can sneak up on you . I think that little sips of water more often are better than gulping larger amounts further apart. But that's JMHO.
Lew L

Marlin336
06-09-2020, 01:02 PM
With my medical condition,I have to carry insulin and meds. I just use a soft cooler with ice, water and snacks. I need to get off and stretch sooner than I used to.

ClayJ
06-09-2020, 06:15 PM
I purchased a 64 oz hydration bag with an insulated pouch. I use a bungee to strap the whole setup to my backrest with the drinking hose coming out the top and hanging down the right side.

I start the day by packing the bag full of ice and water. When I'm thirsty I hit the cruise control and reach down and back to grab the hose. I always leave the hose empty so the water won't get hot or siphon out. With the Bite valve in my mouth I can take my time drinking a little at a time until I'm done, then I blow back into the hose to clear it and drop the hose.

I've had this setup for a couple years and many multi day riding trips. I occasionally refill the ice but I don't think I've ever run out of water.

Bfromla
06-09-2020, 07:05 PM
It is easy to get dehydrated and not realize it. The old rule of thumb is if you don’t have to pee at least every 30 minutes you are not drinking enough, at least when working.

Dad was a master electrician contractor & amended that saying a lil bit with “if didn’t refill the Gott 5gallon cooler least twice a day we weren’t drinking enough. Mostly 2man per site maybe a third on the BIG jobs. Course Louisiana humidity & all the first 10 gallons were before lunch nojoke & just ice water. The gator aid /power aid mixes stained first cooler & left light after taste ever refill afterwards , didn’t like that too much. Kept us mindful & managed breaks at good stoping points like after completing a room, not just 1wall. & he was a WORKER:shocked::bowdown::popcorn::dontknow: many could not keep up & at the lengths he averaged, to get the job done right.

pegasus1300
06-09-2020, 11:26 PM
Hi Paul, I think it depends on the medication one takes. The one I take for high blood pressure is a diuretic which make me pee more thus more water intake ( per doctors orders ). BP is now normal. I also take a diabetic med that has lowered my A1C and sugar # count close to normal levels ---- It of course makes me pee more--- thus more water intake. AND--- we live in a dry climate- thus more water intake.
Being dehydrated is not a good thing, and it can sneak up on you . I think that little sips of water more often are better than gulping larger amounts further apart. But that's JMHO.
Lew L
Thanks Lew for your candor. I too am on a Diuretic. I don't know about my Type2 meds if they have any effect that way. I do not drink pop during the day when riding only water sipping all day and more at fuel stops. I hope I am getting enough. Yes we do live in a very dry climate. And its dryer then normal this year.

Bfromla
06-10-2020, 04:49 AM
Have been lucky & tipped accordingly at few different Sonic’s that would refill my Rt 44 tea while I’m dining at the picnic tables & would fill camelback with lest one. Unfortunately not all will :sour:lot depending on the friendliness/experience of the carhop. New hire rookies gotta ask manager & usually a NO:(

remus
06-10-2020, 10:09 AM
Diabetic medications will do one of three things 1 slow the absorption of carbs in the digestive system, 2 cause your pancreas to produce more insulin and 3 make your muscles more sensitive to the insulin your body produces enabling them to absorb more blood glucose. Insulin helps to control high blood glucose. Staying hydrated for a diabetic is important as urination is one of the ways your body gets rid of excess blood glucose, hence the thirst and urination cycle.

PapaHotel
06-10-2020, 11:16 AM

I used a Camel-back for years. I mounted a tank bag and put it in there. Heavily iced and with my bike towels wrapping it for insulation.

I had a full faced helmet. They make a 90 degree mouthpiece now and a person should be able to send it up from the chin area, unless you have a really tight full-face helmet.