PDA

View Full Version : Help with trunk support

Fire34
06-05-2020, 12:17 PM
Guys
Need to replace the rear trunk strut on my 2013 RTL, Just got off the phone with the local shop, ouch.
I know there were some posts which I have searched that had guys using McMastr Carr. When I looked up the part numbers that were on an attached invoice it was a no go, Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance
Dave

bigbadbrucie
06-05-2020, 01:47 PM
I’m using a mechanical type on my 2014 RTS that I purchased from Pierre at CanAm Spyder Accessories. Much easier to install. Didn’t replace the strut. Completely DIY, even for the mechanically challenged.

Mazo EMS2
06-05-2020, 04:05 PM
Another option is to just take the strut to an auto parts store and match it up. If you put two on, you can add a rack at a later date and have now worries. There's enough room to go about 1/2" longer than stock but no more.

CopperSpyder
06-05-2020, 04:23 PM
You can get one here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MDPI3O9

spyder01
06-05-2020, 05:20 PM
I posted an invoice from when I bought trunk struts and seat struts from McMaster Carr,so I went back to my old post and put those numbers in on the McMaster website and they seem good to me,what was the no go for you?You have to select the opening force which is listed and they come without ends so you have to get the ends but its all on that invoice sheet.

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-05-2020, 05:25 PM
Did you see this discussion? https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?93412-Gas-strut-for-trunk-on-the-RT&highlight=trunk+strut

safecracker
06-05-2020, 07:36 PM
I just purchased the strut, about a month ago, from the link CopperSpyder provided. It is a correct replacement. It has alitte more strength than OEM. Pops right on. Cannot go wrong with it. Bruce

Glenngo
06-06-2020, 11:27 AM
I just purchased the strut, about a month ago, from the link CopperSpyder provided. It is a correct replacement. It has alitte more strength than OEM. Pops right on. Cannot go wrong with it. Bruce

Safecracker, is this strut strong enough to open the trunk as soon as you pull the latch?

Arion
06-06-2020, 12:13 PM
I’m using a mechanical type on my 2014 RTS that I purchased from Pierre at CanAm Spyder Accessories. Much easier to install. Didn’t replace the strut. Completely DIY, even for the mechanically challenged.

I installed Pierre's strut on both our RTs and am pleased with them. Easy installation, mechanical rather than hydraulic, no disassembly required. My only modification was to put small rubber caps on each end of the rod - works just fine!

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-06-2020, 05:48 PM
Safecracker, is this strut strong enough to open the trunk as soon as you pull the latch?
I'm not Safecracker but I'll answer! No strut will pop the lid open when you pull the latch. The reason is the way the linkage is designed. When the lid is closed the connection of the strut to the lid is either at or slightly forward of the centerline between the lid hinge pivot point and the bottom mount of the strut. The strut actually helps to keep the lid closed. Maybe this sketch will help.

Here are a couple of pics of what I did so the lid would pop open some when the latch is pulled. When I close and latch the lid the spring between the catches is pushed upward by the block on the trunk ledge. There's enough force in the spring as it wants to straighten out to lift the lid enough to get my fingers under the edge and lift it when I pull the latch. Until I did this I seriously considered putting a handle on the lid to lift it open. Later, when I added the rack on on top I started using it to lift the lid.