PDA

View Full Version : Kewl Metal rack

Neez
08-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Since my tubing-type Industries 7 rack broke, I have been considering a frame mounted luggage rack to mount either a back rest or my Givi topcase. I have seen reports that the BRP Sport rack makes changing brake light bulbs difficult. Can anyone tell me if the Kewl metal rack has this problem ?

nickcaro
08-08-2009, 11:51 PM
yes, it does.... the procedure to remove those components, just to get the lights off is so crazy, that ended up snapping one of the tabs that holds the right taillight in place. Basically, when I see a taillight bulb pop, I know what I;m doing Saturday morning.....

(each taillight housing is held by two bolts. If you are standing at the rear of the Spyder looking directly at the light, the one I'm talking about is the closest to you.)

So, one has a busted tab and the other I never put that bolt back in. It's easy to access the front bolt and everything still holds together quite well with just one bolt.

This mod also interferes with a Corbin seat by not providing enough clearance for the back seat. (not a big deal if you are friends with folks that know how to cut metal)

now, even with these hurdles I have been very happy with the Kewl Metal rack. I have a Givi E52 on there and it has held up very well for many, many miles. Nowadays, The whole thing does shake but it was rock solid for along time and its still on there holding strong.

bjt
08-09-2009, 06:29 AM
now, even with these hurdles I have been very happy with the Kewl Metal rack. I have a Givi E52 on there and it has held up very well for many, many miles. Nowadays, The whole thing does shake but it was rock solid for along time and its still on there holding strong.

I put on my Kewlmetal rack last week. When you say the whole thing shakes, are you talking the Givi bag mounted to the rack or the entire rack shakes?

wyliec
08-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Since my tubing-type Industries 7 rack broke, I have been considering a frame mounted luggage rack to mount either a back rest or my Givi topcase. I have seen reports that the BRP Sport rack makes changing brake light bulbs difficult. Can anyone tell me if the Kewl metal rack has this problem ?

I have the BRP sport/rack and decided to install magic's taillights. This way I don't have to worry about removing the sport rack for bulb burnouts for a long time.

I don't have a givi topcase; but, I have a kuryakyn gran tour bag. Since I have never seen a topcase in person I can't make a comparison. I can tell you with the gran tour bag (not on the spyder) I can fit my XL arai in it. It also has a small side compartment on either side and a larger one on top.

Neez
08-09-2009, 11:12 AM
yes, it does.... the procedure to remove those components, just to get the lights off is so crazy, that ended up snapping one of the tabs that holds the right taillight in place. Basically, when I see a taillight bulb pop, I know what I;m doing Saturday morning.....

(each taillight housing is held by two bolts. If you are standing at the rear of the Spyder looking directly at the light, the one I'm talking about is the closest to you.)

So, one has a busted tab and the other I never put that bolt back in. It's easy to access the front bolt and everything still holds together quite well with just one bolt.

This mod also interferes with a Corbin seat by not providing enough clearance for the back seat. (not a big deal if you are friends with folks that know how to cut metal)

now, even with these hurdles I have been very happy with the Kewl Metal rack. I have a Givi E52 on there and it has held up very well for many, many miles. Nowadays, The whole thing does shake but it was rock solid for along time and its still on there holding strong.Thanks for the tip, Nick. I will definately go with one bolt per taillight housing. A couple of things I have done to speed up this annoying bulb change chore are: 1- change 6 of the splashpan torx to Dzus, and 2-slot the rear hole in the splashpan so that I only need to loosen the rear screw slightly to slip out the pan.

nickcaro
08-09-2009, 09:11 PM
I put on my Kewlmetal rack last week. When you say the whole thing shakes, are you talking the Givi bag mounted to the rack or the entire rack shakes?

well... they both do. If I put pressure on the rack itself it will wiggle. The E-52 is held on by the E250 mount and where the two of them meet, there has been a growing "wiggle" as well. Get on the road and hit some bumps and that wiggle well sometimes look like a Striped Bass out of water.

but, I've put a ton of hard miles on this setup and it's still hanging on, so I wont hesitate to recommend it.

bjt
08-09-2009, 09:18 PM
well... they both do. If I put pressure on the rack itself it will wiggle. The E-52 is held on by the E250 mount and where the two of them meet, there has been a growing "wiggle" as well. Get on the road and hit some bumps and that wiggle well sometimes look like a Striped Bass out of water.

but, I've put a ton of hard miles on this setup and it's still hanging on, so I wont hesitate to recommend it.

Thanks, you ride a lot more than I do so I'm confidant the Kewl rack will be fine for me.

smokster
08-09-2009, 09:52 PM

I have it on as well with the Givi 46. It shakes, but holds up just fine. I have the backrest for the passenger, she loves it.

Mad Matt
08-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Just FYI,

The latest racks have some additional clearance for the Corbin rear seat. The shaking being referred to is because the Kewlmetal rack slides inside the Spyder frame and there has to be some clearance for assembly. Two 6mm bolts retain the rack from sliding out, but still allow the rack to wiggle inside the frame. If one wanted to drill and tap, an additional bolt could be employed to tighten the assembly together. The default installation is designed so no drilling and tapping is required. Even if there was zero play in the rack, the GIVI trunk would still wiggle a little just because it's plastic and it's not entirely rigid.

Matt