PDA

View Full Version : Klutch 40924 2 1/2” axle nut socket

SportsterDoc
06-03-2020, 01:17 PM
BRP specifies 65 mm.
2 1/2” = 63.5 mm

Based upon reports of this socket working well, I ordered one Last Wednesday, from Northern Tool ($21.95)

It arrived today, along with 4” Channellock diagonal cutting pliers, to add to my tool bag.

The socket went on snug, as expected, however, it took some coaxing with a mallet to remove.
On that basis, buyer beware.

Not intending to return it, as it would serve, if needed, but at 48 ounces, I am not inclined to carry it on the Ryker.

FYI

Tslepebull
06-03-2020, 01:59 PM
Just out of curiosity, which version of the axle nut do you have? Apparently the revised design (post recall) has a flat portion not present on the original. I purchased the same 2.5" Klutch brand socket for my 10/2018 production (pre recall) Ryker and it fits perfectly. I had previously purchased a 65 mm Nielsen brand socket out of Great Britain and found it to be too loose for my liking.

SportsterDoc
06-03-2020, 02:19 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have not yet removed an axle nut but I'll take a closer look when I get home. My Ryker 900 was purchased May 7th and I think the production date was March of this year.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-03-2020, 02:27 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have not yet removed an axle nut but I'll take a closer look when I get home. My Ryker 900 was purchased May 7th and I think the production date was March of this year.

messy, but a bit of lube ( your choice ) prior to use should solve the issue ...... and thanks for the heads up ..... Mike

SportsterDoc
06-03-2020, 02:31 PM
messy, but a bit of lube ( your choice ) prior to use should solve the issue ...... and thanks for the heads up ..... Mike
Good idea!
After I finally got it off I was thinking I need to buy another can of wheel bearing Grease.

SportsterDoc
06-03-2020, 03:27 PM
Not seeing a flange nut, but I understand there is a conical washer behind the axle nut.

SportsterDoc
06-04-2020, 08:28 AM
I may polish the inside of the Northern Tool socket with a wire wheel.

SportsterDoc
06-06-2020, 03:41 PM
Polished the ID of the socket with 2” wire wheel chucked into a drill motor.
Used both forward and reverse at highest speed.
Compare to post 6 photo.

With consideration for suggestion from BLUEKNIGHT911, I sprayed some RemOil on the socket ID before testing.

It was snug, but went on and off by hand.

~$30 (including shipping) remains a viable option from Northern Tool.