PDA

View Full Version : Update on Oil Leak

dvmdf
08-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Well, it's been 7 days now that my Spyder is in the shop. (Del Amo Motersports) in Redondo Beach, CA. Started with a small oil leak after every ride. They found oil in the air box, but could not explain why. I saw the fixes suggested here but decided to let the dealer handle it since I have the warranty. They called BRP, they recommended against the foam, but said to remove the HEAD and inspect the cylinders, sounds pretty major to me, but there is no charge, so let them work on it. If they still can't figure it out, CA Lemon Law comes into play. :lecturef_smilie:

Firefly
08-09-2009, 12:11 AM
Well, it's been 7 days now that my Spyder is in the shop. (Del Amo Motersports) in Redondo Beach, CA. Started with a small oil leak after every ride. They found oil in the air box, but could not explain why. I saw the fixes suggested here but decided to let the dealer handle it since I have the warranty. They called BRP, they recommended against the foam, but said to remove the HEAD and inspect the cylinders, sounds pretty major to me, but there is no charge, so let them work on it. If they still can't figure it out, CA Lemon Law comes into play. :lecturef_smilie:

Better check your laws---- I think someone posted that the lemon law doesn't cover motorcycles.

The oil in the airbox is 'normal'. A nuisance for sure - but not a sign of any major problems. Various fixes are listed out here and can be done for anywhere from $3.00 - $200.00.

At some point you have to decide if you want the Spyder to perform without the problem (fix it yourself) - or complain to BRP, not be able to ride and hope for a refund--- and then you don't have anything to ride.

I would spend $30 and do the 'Lamont' oil catch can. These are very common and are sold as kits for many, many brands of bikes.

dvmdf
08-12-2009, 02:04 AM
there was no oil leak for 2000 miles, now something is different and I want the dealer to find out what.

NancysToy
08-12-2009, 06:47 AM
there was no oil leak for 2000 miles, now something is different and I want the dealer to find out what.
We had no oil in the airbox at first, too. Part of it depends on the oil level, and part on how hard you ride. Took a few thousand miles before ours started visibly leaking. It is possible to clean it out real well, and get several more miles before it drips again. It is strictly up to you, but head removal sounds very drastic unless there is a darned good reason for it, like a bad compression test or some other major symptom. It's like getting foot surgery for a hangnail. Do you really want to go to that length for a nuisance? I'd clean it, and bide my time to see if BRP comes up with a fix eventually.

BLACK WIDOW
08-12-2009, 08:49 AM
We had no oil in the airbox at first, too. Part of it depends on the oil level, and part on how hard you ride. Took a few thousand miles before ours started visibly leaking. It is possible to clean it out real well, and get several more miles before it drips again. It is strictly up to you, but head removal sounds very drastic unless there is a darned good reason for it, like a bad compression test or some other major symptom. It's like getting foot surgery for a hangnail. Do you really want to go to that length for a nuisance? I'd clean it, and bide my time to see if BRP comes up with a fix eventually.

:agree: Totally!

Michael:doorag:

widowmaker2011
08-12-2009, 03:26 PM

yeah what he said , if all your getting is blowby in the airbox , why would ya tear it apart....

fastfraser
08-12-2009, 03:35 PM
I don't think there is one :spyder2: out there with more than 3,000 miles that doesn't leak oil out of the air box unless they have done some sort of a by-pass mod. Your dealer can't have sold many :spyder2: as this is so common. He must be putting you off unless there is some other reason to pull the head. No small job. Hope it works out for you and you are back rideing your :spyder2:. Keep us posted.

dvmdf
08-13-2009, 11:48 PM
well, they needed some parts that are on backorder, so I picked up the bike and will ride it until they call me. They did compression test and it was fine. BRP told them to pull the head. I might just let them do whatever they want while it has warranty. Has anybody tried leaving the oil at 1/2 mark?

Firefly
08-14-2009, 12:36 AM
Many have found that keeping the oil down to about 1/4 on the dipstick helps keep the oil out.

It's nuts if BRP actually tears the head down to figure out how oil is getting into the airbox. It's blow-by from the crankcase vent - plain and simple and very common in many bikes.

The question is - do you want to fix it and ride --- or let them keep trying to find a needle in the haystack. As silly as it sounds-- by the very design of this setup---- oil in the airbox is normal.

The oil catch can is the best route to go if you are wanting to keep the stock airbox. You can buy a kit for $30 - $50 and the install is simple.

Every Spyder will do this - it's not unique to yours -

Good luck--- let us know how it goes...

dvmdf
08-14-2009, 09:36 PM
I have not been riding for 3 days, but there still new oil spots on the garage floor. Can it still be the airbox thing or it might be something different? Any ideas?

NancysToy
08-15-2009, 07:38 AM
I have not been riding for 3 days, but there still new oil spots on the garage floor. Can it still be the airbox thing or it might be something different? Any ideas?
When you get the oil in the airbox, it goes everywhere eventually. Even with all the bodywork off, and the top of the airbox removed, it took me three cleaning sessions to get all the oil, inside and outside the airbox...and I still find slimy spot here and there when my hand is inside working. Probably just some residual oil, plus the oil will continue to find its way to the airbox, making the problem never ending. If you think three drips is bad, you should see how my 65 Triumph marks its territory! :D

Tom in NM
08-15-2009, 10:58 AM
well, they needed some parts that are on backorder, so I picked up the bike and will ride it until they call me. They did compression test and it was fine. BRP told them to pull the head. I might just let them do whatever they want while it has warranty. Has anybody tried leaving the oil at 1/2 mark?

. . . I posted some scans of my Spyder Maintanence Manual that cover oil levels, check them out at this link http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=131688#post131688 . The thread is titled Low Oil Level .

One of the things that it points out is that the halfway mark is the "target" if the oil temperature is 68 degrees F ( a "cold" engine ). It also states the the reading is "accurate" if the oil temperature is 176 degrees F ( operation temperature ).

Tom