PDA

View Full Version : Scheduled service

Poasttown
06-02-2020, 02:06 PM
I contacted the dealer where I purchased my 2019 F3L to schedule it’s 3000 mile maintenance check and the first appointment I could get is a little over two months out. I figured I will hit the 3000 mile mark in about four week maybe sooner and also plan a few trips this summer. This is why I called as early as I did thinking a few weeks would be sufficient. They said that I could go over the 3000 miles but suggested only by a few hundred miles. Given this scenario I would have to park the bike for most of the summer which isn’t an option.

This dealership has always treated me nice and made things right in a timely manner when I had a minor issue with a previously purchased bike. One reason I purchased the F3 at this location was because of the service dept.

I have a few options:

Call the dealership management and explain my situation and try to get this corrected. I’m a bit concerned about the service I might receive if I go over the service mgrs. head and get squeezed in for service. Not slamming the dealership, they must be super busy, and many service apts. ahead of me may be is the same boat.

Another local highly rated, long time, customer friendly dealership just began selling CanAms about a year ago and after talking with the dealership they have a CanAm technician who was getting ready to take the “Gold” level certification but due to the virus situation this was put on hold. Plus they can get to me in a few weeks.

I usually do all bike maintenance myself but thought I would allow the dealership to do the first service, hook it up the the computer, check for recalls, etc. As I review the manual, the 3000 mile service is primarily an oil change with a small list of basic checks some of which I have already done.

So this doesn’t look like a very complicated service but I may not know what I don’t know. Don’t they run the the bike through the computer for a number of checks and updates which I obviously can’t do.

Any thoughts on the situation for those who have riden this road before me?

Sorry for the length of the post.
Poasttown

wyliec
06-02-2020, 02:49 PM
I'd go down and talk personally to mgt.; not over the phone.

If no satisfaction, move to 2nd suggestion.

Sine you're capable of doing your own maintenance, I would do that after your first visit for your 3000 mile (or whatever the manual states).

SportsterDoc
06-02-2020, 04:34 PM
I paid for first service on only 2 of 17 M/C.

Both were a disappointment.

On one, the dealership failed to lube clutch cable, which was on their check sheet. I had to stop on a ride for a can of lube, at less than 1000 miles on that bike.

On another, the mechanic did a valve adjust on a warm engine and did not retorque head, per Moto Guzzi specs.

I would go with wyliec’s recommendation of suggestion 2 or do it yourself.

I like my dealer, but not likely to be in for service until I need a new rear tire and then I plan to take the wheel in.

Mazo EMS2
06-02-2020, 05:06 PM
I agree with post #2 as well. I did my first 2 services myself and just went through the list. I did take it in for a service at 17k miles last fall before storage. Had everything on the list done EXCEPT the oil change, cuz that's easy and cheaper to DIY. My dealer had no problems at all with what I've been doing. I keep record of everything I do in the back of the manual....Imagine that, using the manual for what it's intended.....??? Don't tell my wife!

Poasttown
06-02-2020, 05:53 PM
I was under the impression that the dealer plugged the bike into a computer and made updates and recorded maintenance history (for warranty purposes). Something special besides what is in the manual. I’m not exactly sure where I came up with this impression. Maybe they do the computer thing when there is a problem.

If they just do the items on the manual checklist then this is just routine items; ie, oil change, belt inspection, Look for loose parts, lube hinges, etc.

Thanks
Poasttown

Peter Aawen
06-02-2020, 06:16 PM
If you're particularly concerned about it, you could probably arrange to do the 'oil change & check it over' bits yourself as & when the miles suggest it's due (& document it/take pics too!) then later on, when you can get it booked in, simply get them to do any 'plug into BUDS & check for upgrades' stuff that's necessary.... :dontknow: Talk to your dealer about doing that, if they are as good as you feel they are, it shouldn't be too hard to arrange!?! :lecturef_smilie:

Due to the scarcity of dealers (& the even greater scarcicty of 'good' dealers!) and the wide open spaces/distances we have a lot of here in Oz, there are quite a few Spyder/Ryker owners who do exactly that here! :ohyea: They do the bulk of the actual servicing, oil changes etc themselves, then once in a while, as & when they can get to a dealer, they get their Spyder/Ryker plugged into BUDS & checked over for anything that may've been missed. For most, that 'dealer check & BUDS review' cost comes in at something like $50-$80 or so, maybe a bit more if they find something that needs to be done. I've done exactly this on a couple of our 'longer trips' - it's easy enough to cover 10,000+ km here, not so easy to find a BRP/Can-Am dealer or tech when your Spyder's oil change comes due &/or you feel that you've stretched the (extended) interval between oil changes far enough! :rolleyes: :thumbup:

SportsterDoc
06-02-2020, 06:39 PM
I was under the impression that the dealer plugged the bike into a computer...

That was done on my Moto Guzzi and the latest ECM/ECU program downloaded. It seemed to help a lean condition for warm restarts.

However, unless there is an issue or known program glitch or service bulletin, I would not be concerned.