PDA

View Full Version : Buying 2020 RT Limited Dark - An intro, and ask for advice?

Paulie
05-29-2020, 01:45 PM
Hello,

Looking to finally make the jump from two, to three wheels and working on getting a 2020 RT Limited Dark edition. I have had my three wheel license endorsement for a few years, and finally going to retire my motorcycle this summer. I've been riding an adventure bike for a few years, but finding it more and more difficult to balance the bike and my joints just aren't up to the task anymore (elbows and knees of an older guy I guess). While I've had the three day Can Am class, I haven't had any other seat time on a Spyder F3 or RT. Sorry if these are lame questions...

Long Trips vs Commuting

On my bike I hated commuting in a major metro region (so many cagers not seeing me etc, traffic, no lane splitting allowed) but loved long road trips and scenic drives (especially through Shenandoah National Park). My guess is that I will have more visibility, and commuting is easier (automatic and larger footprint) and it will be less fun in the twisties...any feelings there? I've done a few searches, and have a few nuggets, but wanted to ask directly re: commuting.

I hope this makes sense...

RT Limited vs RT

I will only have a passenger once or twice a season, but I was thinking of getting the limited and adding the RT Rear Panel when I don't need the extra storage or have a passenger. Seems its better to get the storage / speaker at time of sale and using it when needing it, vs not getting it and wishing I had it. Anyone doing that? Any thoughts?

Price
So, I have been working on a deal for a 2020, and have some price and overall questions. I think Can Am usually runs deeper discounts in the fall, so I am super worried about buying a Spyder RT and loosing 5K or more of value in basically three months. More to the point, if genuinely don't enjoy the Spyder it's going to really hurt so I am trying to get the best deal I can...

2020 RT Limited Dark - $27,299 MSRP
Unit Price - $25,410
Freight - $568
Prep - $450
Total $26,428

Negotiating out the Freight and Prep, with the RT Rear Panel and Aux Light installed for no cost and 10% off the parts list price.

Anyone see a better deal or have thoughts on what to push for? Flat out refuse the Prep and Freight?

THANK YOU!!!

Jetfixer
05-29-2020, 02:04 PM
Since you're concerned about visibility, I would suggest you keep the rear trunk mounted. When you remove it, you lose the third brake light. That way you could save the money on the filler panel, which is only installed when you remove the trunk. The aux light is a must. However, these are the two simplest items to install. The aux light only requires a screwdriver and takes less 5 minutes to install. The rear panel installs on the same hooks as the rear trunk and snaps in. I could be wrong, but I was under the assumption that "freight" includes dealer prep. This machine is as much or more fun in the mountains as any 2-wheeler! For increased visibility look into front fender and saddlebag lights instead of the reflectors. They are available from our sponsoring vendors here.

SpyderAnn01
05-29-2020, 08:46 PM
You might check to see how you would do if you buy the base RT and add the top box. That’s what I did and I saved a ton. I was not interested in heated seats, a trunk liner or the other differences.

OverHillAndDale
05-30-2020, 06:17 AM
I agree with the previous post - removing the trunk makes you a bit less visible and really doesn’t serve any purpose. If you’re interest in visiting lite in general, there are tons of aftermarket lighting products that can make your bike look like a Christmas tree.

I also went from 2 to 3 wheels as have many on this forum, for the same reasons you mentioned. I think the Spyder is a great commuting bike, I ride to work when the weather permits. However, like you I enjoy long distance touring more than anything.

I’ve live in Birmingham, AL and I’ve had my. Bike to New Orleans, Orlando, Ashville N.C. And other places of similar distances. I love the twisties on this bike. I’ve heard often that the wheel arrangement is tougher on the riders shoulders but I’ve never experience that. I feel much more secure around sharp corners than on my previous 2 wheeled bikes. A couple of years ago I rode the Dragon in N.C. And a fellow on a Goldwing said he had difficulty following me. I’m sure the best option for pure speed is a sport bike, but I suspect you’ll find the Spyder a pleasant surprise when you find a delicious stretch of 2-lane.

Paulie
05-30-2020, 08:27 PM
Thank you - this is all super helpful.

Supposed to head in on Monday and take their demo out for a few hours. Will see how that goes.

Great thoughts on the lights too, will check out the sponsors and see what options are there for the 2020s.

RICZ
05-30-2020, 08:51 PM
My local dealer is offering a $4,000 incentive. I'm sure that comes from BRP and all dealers are offering it. A good time to buy new.
There will be a learning curve, going from 2 to 3 wheels. It took me about 1,000 miles before I began to feel comfortable taking curves flat. I now have 2K miles on the clock and toss it into the twists and turns. And we have lots of those in these parts.
Would I go back to 2 wheels? Not a chance, even though I can still ride 'em. If I knew how much fun a Spyder is, I'd have bought one years ago.

Jon44MA
05-31-2020, 09:40 AM
Think that incentive is on the 2019’s not the 2020’s