PDA

View Full Version : Stripped bolt heads and more.

PMK
05-29-2020, 08:32 AM
Not being mean or focused on any one person, but the website may have gone a week without a stripped bolt, broken bolt, or stripped head on an oil drain plug.

Good job everyone.

:thumbup::clap::bowdown::firstplace:

AeroPilot
05-29-2020, 08:55 AM
I formerly used the blue loctite a lot on attaching fasteners on my two wheelers and it carried on with the Spyders. However the last couple of years I've backed off of torquing most things on the Spyder and they seem to stay put with just the firm tightening With the right sized ratchets and hand tools.

Maybe I'm lucky but maybe its also that the Spydees are a lot less vibrating going on than the ol' Harley :2thumbs:

PW2013STL
05-29-2020, 08:57 AM
Not being mean or focused on any one person, but the website may have gone a week without a stripped bolt, broken bolt, or stripped head on an oil drain plug.

Good job everyone.

:thumbup::clap::bowdown::firstplace:

You know you have now jinxed everyone who reads this:yikes:

Eckhard
05-29-2020, 09:56 AM
However the last couple of years I've backed off of torquing most things on the Spyder and they seem to stay put with just the firm tightening With the right sized ratchets and hand tools.

Torquing, the act of tightening a bolt to a known required amount, is still a good idea as it prevents losing the bolt/fastener/plug and the part/engine oil or prevents stripping the bolt/fastener/plug because they were tightened to much. Not all people have the necessary feel in the hands to get it right so stick with the torque wrench and get it done right. Putting a Helicoil in an oil pan is pain.

cptjam
05-29-2020, 11:01 AM
Oops, my bad. Forgot to post on Wednesday! Had 3 ruined torx bolts on a job. Took 8 drill bits to drill them out. Replaced bolts with proper hardware. No drama, just work. New, sharp bits are your best friend!! Beware the U-Fit foot peg bolts!

PW2013STL
05-29-2020, 11:03 AM
New, sharp bits are your best friend!!

Plus a steady hand!

carbonation
05-29-2020, 06:09 PM
It was a short week.
No wrenching on Monday.

Bfromla
05-29-2020, 07:57 PM
:roflblack::roflblack: FYI conveniently on YouTube’s preview home page today:
https://youtu.be/WDOWPekMX44