PDA

View Full Version : Magic mirrors/pace maker

Clary
05-25-2020, 07:43 PM
Here’s my question, I have received my magic mirrors and the first thing I read in the instructions is “caution for pace makers “. Well that’s me. Do you think it would be wise for me to have them on my mirrors? I personally think it would be far enough away from me once mounted. Comments please and thanks.

Also everyone stay safe.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-25-2020, 07:53 PM
Here’s my question, I have received my magic mirrors and the first thing I read in the instructions is “caution for pace makers “. Well that’s me. Do you think it would be wise for me to have them on my mirrors? I personally think it would be far enough away from me once mounted. Comments please and thanks.

Also everyone stay safe.

If were you I suggest you talk to your Doctor ....... what if someone here says yea no problem .... annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd you die ....... Mike :thumbup:

Peter Aawen
05-25-2020, 08:00 PM
For what it's worth, the Original Magic Mirror Mounts have a magnetic field that is effectively very much the same as the magnetc field put out by a microwave oven. ;) They shouldn't be an issue for you once they're mounted on your Spyder, but you really don't want to carry the roll of magnets in your shirt-front pocket before or while you're installing them :yikes: And I'd strongly advise against closely hugging your Spyder at/around the mirror level once they are installed! :lecturef_smilie: However, I do know of more than one 'pace-maker equipped' Spyder Ryder who not only ryde Spyders fitted with Magic Mirror Mounts, but who also fitted the mounts themselves.... altho I don't know what make or type of pace-maker any of them has.... :dontknow:

That said, and as Mike said above, if you have ANY concerns at all about how the Magic Mirror Mounts might interact with your pace-maker, please talk to your Medical Practitioner/Pacemaker supplier & adhere to their advice. :thumbup:

ARtraveler
05-25-2020, 08:24 PM
I have a pacemaker. Last year, I had magic mirrors put on my 2014. No one warned me about the pacemaker situation.

Fast forward...no incidents with my pacemaker in the year I have had the magic mirrors. Three electronic pacemaker checks, and no one has noted any interference causing my pacemaker to act adversely.

Fast forward...talk with your Cardiologist about it just to make sure. What works for me, may not work for you. Good advice BlueKnight.

Lew L
05-26-2020, 10:47 AM
Just a simple thought here: Have someone separate the magnets by a foot or 2 and then install them one at a time---- never handling a group of them at one time. I think the magnetic flux increases as more magnets are added to the stack.

BTW---- they are GREAT.
Lew L

FlyBoy2121
05-26-2020, 01:48 PM
I Clary

It is not an electromagnet, which will lift a ton, no danger !!!

FlyBoy2121

jwulf74
05-26-2020, 04:31 PM
Lol, but I can personally attest that they will lift a razor blade off the table and stick it into your hand...

I Clary

It is not an electromagnet, which will lift a ton, no danger !!!

FlyBoy2121

FlyBoy2121
05-26-2020, 09:31 PM
Ijwulf

I meant these not an electromagnet, it's not dangerous. My english is not very good.

FlyBoy2121

Clary
05-27-2020, 08:06 PM
Thanks to all for the advice, I put them on my spyder this afternoon. What a difference.

Peter Aawen
05-27-2020, 08:12 PM
Thanks for telling us how you ultimately went! :thumbup:

In the heat of getting problems sorted, doing that last bit often gets forgotten... :rolleyes: ......and we are left hanging, never knowing how it all ended or getting any closure on the information loop. :shocked:

So it is good to hear of your result! And I'm glad you are enjoying your Magic Mirror mounts! :ohyea:

Bonita
05-27-2020, 08:38 PM
Hi I am a nurse who has worked in the peri-op area getting patients ready for surgery. Magnets can be used to pause the pacer/defibulator but it has to be laid on the patient’s chest. I never saw any concern when the magnet was near the patient so I do not think having the magnets in the mirrors while you ride should be a problem. To be safe double check with your cardiologist who monitors your pacer. Hope this was helpful.

Revalden
05-29-2020, 01:00 AM
Thanks to all for the advice, I put them on my spyder this afternoon. What a difference.

They do make my Spyder go faster by creating a magnetic flux force field in front of the bike. :2thumbs: :firstplace:

Clary
05-29-2020, 09:08 PM
May the force be with you,LOL

Fat Baxter
05-30-2020, 09:18 PM
When my mirrors started loosening up after a couple iterations of remove & replace, I took the original spring clips out, squeezed the snot out of them with pliers, reinstalled them, and put my mirrors back on. Rock steady ever since, and zero cost.

Mikey
05-31-2020, 06:34 AM
When my mirrors started loosening up after a couple iterations of remove & replace, I took the original spring clips out, squeezed the snot out of them with pliers, reinstalled them, and put my mirrors back on. Rock steady ever since, and zero cost.

That will work for a while, and then you will be buying new parts because some thing snapped, and broke! The magic mirrors are a great addition to my ride, and makes taking the mirrors off for service a GREAT deal easyer! To each his own!:cheers:

Peter Aawen
05-31-2020, 07:30 AM
They do make my Spyder go faster by creating a magnetic flux force field in front of the bike. :2thumbs: :firstplace:

And here I was, thinking that was coz of the ECU Upgrade.... :shocked:

Dammit!! :gaah: I paid out good money for that upgrade! :banghead:

:p :rolleyes:

:joke: :2thumbs:

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-31-2020, 10:03 AM
That will work for a while, and then you will be buying new parts because some thing snapped, and broke! The magic mirrors are a great addition to my ride, and makes taking the mirrors off for service a GREAT deal easyer! To each his own!:cheers:

:agree: .... If you alter the Spring to make them work , the additional amount of stress on the plastic pieces is IMHO going to cause those parts to Fail ..... Mike :thumbup:

OverHillAndDale
05-31-2020, 11:44 AM
I'm glad this topic came up. I wear a blood glucose transmitter for my insulin pump. If I get my pump or transmitter too close to a strong magnet, I have to discard that sensor and start again. I had no problem with Magic Mirrors after they were installed, so my advice is 1) ask you doctor, 2) be careful during installation, or enlist the help of a friend, 3) Once they're on, be careful not to get too close.

A magnet's field decreases exponentially with distance, so even very strong magnets aren't effective after a foot or two.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-31-2020, 12:26 PM
I'm glad this topic came up. I wear a blood glucose transmitter for my insulin pump. If I get my pump or transmitter too close to a strong magnet, I have to discard that sensor and start again. I had no problem with Magic Mirrors after they were installed, so my advice is 1) ask you doctor, 2) be careful during installation, or enlist the help of a friend, 3) Once they're on, be careful not to get too close.

A magnet's field decreases exponentially with distance, so even very strong magnets aren't effective after a foot or two.

I designed a magnet set myself ..... and the magnets I had someone make use a steel cover to encase the rear and the sides ( basically a steel cup ) ... this only allows about 10% of the magnetic field to pass thru the rear...... this makes the magnetic field only go towards the metal plate that is attached to the Spyder body ...... Mike :thumbup:

Peacekeeper6
05-31-2020, 01:35 PM
Really, anyone who doesn't install such a great and elegantly-simple mod like the Magic Mirror must find immense joy in beating the living snot out of their bike, LOL.

(Erm, I mean, "byke").

Frostbyte
05-31-2020, 09:01 PM
Magic Mirrors use Neodymium Magnets, most likely N45 or N52's which have a high Gauss Magnetic field. I run Magics on my 2019 but haven't tested the Gauss strength. The thing with Neos is that when stacked, the Gauss strength multiplies instead of adds, and this is what could cause interference with a pacemaker while they are still in a stack or near your Pacemaker. I experiment with permanent magnet based generators and use a variety of Neo's, some of a fairly large size and high power, so I do know they are to be handled carefully and kept away from electronic devices or magnetic devices like your credit cards.

Frostbyte
05-31-2020, 09:06 PM
I know your plight all too well. My wife wears an Omnipod and a CGM. After the mistake of leaning up against the mirror once, and having to change both, she now stays well clear of the mirrors...Maybe that is why she rarely goes a step or two into my lab at the house.:dontknow: