PDA

View Full Version : Will this trailer work?

gkamer
05-25-2020, 03:44 PM
Yup, another trailer question. Looking to possibly trailer a 2012 RT. Will this trailer get the job done.....

It shows inside dimensions as 12'x6.2' with a ramp width of 4.9'.

I figured one of the experts here would know the answer. Thanks in advance.

UtahPete
05-25-2020, 04:01 PM
Yup, another trailer question. Looking to possibly trailer a 2012 RT. Will this trailer get the job done.....

181611 It shows inside dimensions as 12'x6.2' with a ramp width of 4.9'. I figured one of the experts here would know the answer. Thanks in advance.

I think the ramp is too narrow by a few inches.

RapidSpyder
05-25-2020, 04:05 PM
I think the ramp is too narrow by a few inches.

Believe you are right, seem to remember running into that issue when I bought my 2011, and those were narrower that both the newer models and that same as yours. When was the change, 2014?

UtahPete
05-25-2020, 04:15 PM
Believe you are right, seem to remember running into that issue when I bought my 2011, and those were narrower that both the newer models and that same as yours. When was the change, 2014?

I'm not sure. My 2014s need at least 68" clearance across the front.

happyspyder2039
05-25-2020, 04:19 PM

It shows inside dimensions as 12'x6.2' with a ramp width of 4.9'.

I figured one of the experts here would know the answer. Thanks in advance.no. You need the one without the ramp

gkamer
05-25-2020, 04:46 PM
no. You need the one without the ramp

How would you get the Spyder into or onto the trailer?

Frostbyte
05-25-2020, 05:41 PM
The "Box" on that one may be 6.2' but the sides at the ramp wing in and don't give the needed width to get the bike into the box...Yes, I found that out the hard way when going nearly 200 miles to pick up my new 2019 RT. It ended up being about 2" to narrow to finagle the bike in because of the side supports by the ramp.

happyspyder2039
05-25-2020, 06:40 PM
Trailer hAs a gate. Find a speed bump or sloped drive Way.

gkamer
05-25-2020, 08:26 PM
The "Box" on that one may be 6.2' but the sides at the ramp wing in and don't give the needed width to get the bike into the box...Yes, I found that out the hard way when going nearly 200 miles to pick up my new 2019 RT. It ended up being about 2" to narrow to finagle the bike in because of the side supports by the ramp.

WOW... OK glad I had the opportunity to learn for your mistake. :) Guess I'll have to come up with a plan B. Appreciate it bud...

Steve W.
05-26-2020, 10:33 AM
I recently rented a U-Haul trailer to get our '17 RT. I had the luxury of visiting the U-Haul location and measuring the trailers. Both trailers (w/ ramp and w/o ramp) are bascially 6' x 12' inside, but the one with the ramp has 'wings' at the back that make the opening too narrow for the RT.

The trailer without the ramp does have a tail gate, but it's not nearly long enough to use as a ramp. Fortunately, I have a pair of folding aluminum ramps at home that my sons used to get their motorcycles into their pickup trucks. Yeah, only two ramps, so I used some boards for the third ramp. The boards were thinner than 2-by material, so I used some blocking at a couple points under the ramp to control the bowing.

One other thing to consider, if using a U-Haul trailer is tie-down locations. I did not want to rely on the parking brake and the friction of the tires on the floor to keep the bike in place, so I cut a 2x4 to fit the width of the trailer, then cut a couple of 2x4s to hold that cross-piece about 30" back from the front of the trailer. The 2x4s that came back, went over the cross-piece and about a foot beyond it. I figured they would provide some side bumpers that would keep the front wheels in place and keep the bike fenders off the trailer walls. I ran ratchet straps through the front wheels to the hooks in the corners of the trailer, then ran two ratchet straps through the rear wheel to the rear corners of the trailer. About 300 miles home, NO problems at all.

If you don't already have ramps, three 2x8s or 2x10s that are at least 8' long will likely get the job done, but be SURE to find a way to anchor them to the trailer so they don't slip off. I had an eye hook and a ratchet strap on the center ramp so it would not slip away from the trailer while power up, into the trailer. Also used ratchet straps to hold the side ramps in place. Nothing was going to get away from me. :thumbup:

tntnj
05-26-2020, 11:23 AM
I just bought an Aluma 7810 trailer . The GWR is 2900lbs , the ramp is 76 inches wide with a 10 foot long bed , the price was only $2600 . This would be a good trailer for towing.

redrazor
05-26-2020, 12:39 PM
Any photos tntnj?? :nopic: