PDA

View Full Version : Recall outcome (steering , GPS and driveability)

widowmaker2011
08-07-2009, 10:59 AM
I posted a week ago about how after the recall was completed we had some "issues" :cus: and had a trip to New Jersey pretty much ruined. Here is a followup on our findings after the recall. (Note , for those that still don't know , as part of the "update" there is a fuel map change that alters the way fuel is delivered throughout the rpm range, this has been noted and questioned in a couple posts , but just so its clear , yes this is also part of the update)(And no it cannot be left out, its all automatic)

Steering: Carol immediately noted the steering was "night and day" compared to how it was before on her Spyder and says she is no where near as worn out after a spirited ride in the twisties. I said hmmmm because didn't immediately notice a difference , however I now have amassed 1500 miles in 8 days between both spyders and yes there is a difference. A big one. It is most noticeable to me in parking lots (seems way easier) and in fast twisties. The effort is greatly reduced and it gives you a higher degree of confidence in my opinion. :2thumbs:
GPS: Both of our Spyders started going into limp mode and throwing the "E" message when in 4th gear or down shifting into 1st. Yeah it definately ruined a trip we were taking and I was pretty hot.
Since then BRP has worked closely with my dealer (and called me several times) and PE 2011 is fixed and on the Road and PE 1941 should be done today. PE 2011 had a new part number GPS sensor installed and ten miles later the code reappeared while the technician was roadtesting it. BRP asked him to reposition the new sensor. This seemed odd to him and I as they only bolt in one way but they said there was a slight bit of rotation you can get out of the sensor once installed. He loosened the bolts and did find he could rotate the sensor just a hair and retightened as per their instructions. That was 200 miles ago and all is good. I inspected the old sensor with him and I will tell you the tolerance on these is super super tight. If there is anything not lined up perfectly it can throw the code. Carols is being installed today and hopefully its the last we have to do with that issue. We had had very few opportunities to ride this year prior to our planning our vacation so maybe the GPS sensors just both decided to fail within a day of each other. Stranger things have happened. :dontknow: UPDATE JUST RECEIVED A CALL FROM THE DEALER THE ISSUE WITH OUR ERROR CODES IS WITH A PROCEDURE THAT SHOULD BE DONE AFTER THE ECM UPDATE. THE BULLETIN DOES NOT STATE THAT YOU SHOULD RESET CLOSED THROTTLE POSITION AND GPS BUT WHEN HE INSPECTED CAROLS HE FOUND THEY WERE BOTH OUT OF CALIBRATION HE RESET THESE 2 AND THE FAULTS IMMEDIATELY CORRECTED. HE CONTACTED BRP AND TOLD THEM OF HIS FINDINGS AND HAS SUGGESTED THEY ADD THIS LAST STEP TO THE BULLETIN, IT SOUNDS LIKE THEY MAY. IT TAKES 2 MINUTES. AFTER THE FLASH UPDATE THESE 2 PARAMETERS MAY NEED TO BE RESET! Anyone getting the recall done should note this to their dealer! PE 2011 will be going back in for this asap.

driveability Ahh the driveability that several of us are commenting on , here is what I learned. Both our spyders were 100% stock (drivetrain wise) with the exception of the exhaust. We both have hindles. Both Spyders came out of the recall running "different" than they had before. I apologize if I get a little descriptive here , having raced bikes and built my motors for 30 plus years and having a great understanding of what makes em tick,I try and explain it as best I can.
Of note:
Prior , you could run through a 35 mph zone in the upper gears keeping the noise down and the Spyder was happy to do it. Now post-recall try doing that at about 3000- 3200 rpm and it hiccups and burps and the Spyder makes you generally know that "hey driver , I hate this rpm". Knock it down a gear life is good. This to me and Carol this is no big deal, to some it may be.
What I noted also that was a little of a downer to me was I used to hear ole spydie come to life at about 6500+ rpm and really pull HARD to just under 10k rpm. This is also a perception becasue we all know they have a flat spot in the middle of the rpm range and when the power comes back on above that its a rush....this flat spot seems to be gone now. The first time I rolled it on after the recall I had this weird sensation that it was like I was riding an electric motor, as in the torque curve is flat and it just builds progressively throughout the rpm range. The exhaust note was different and not as smooth. The upper end "hit" isn't noticeable anymore and my gut says we are down just a tad (not much) in top end power. Last 2 tanks of fuel delivered 42 mpg on PE2011 and 41 on PE1941 (used to get 32-35) so you do not have to be a brain surgeon to see BRP leaned us way out in the fuel map Good for MPG and range , maybe a bit dissappointing for my tastes.
Lastly , I had some inner ear nerve damage recently and it really scared me about hearing loss , so I threw the dusty stock exhaust back on PE2011 that has hung in the garage since the first 50 miles were put on the bike.
WOW. This fuel map did WONDERS for a stock exhaust bike. I love the way it runs , it is as smooth as glass and pulls great throughout the rpm range. No way did it run this good with the stock exhaust before. I would say if you are running stock , this remap is a :2thumbs:.
If you are running with an airbox mod or non stock exhaust you will need to get some more fuel into this thing via Kens 02 modifier or the juicebox to get it to run the way you like more than likely. (depends on your riding habits, some may never notice didly :shocked:)
To close , we are all on first year production machines and my grin factor is still a ten out of ten. Someday we will all say , do ya remember when......
:thumbup:

Firefly
08-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Interesting findings and viewpoints. You may be on to something as many that have the Juice Boxes are having problems.

FYI - the O2 mod isn't going to provide more gas per say----

The fuel pressure mod sure does though. I have both---- so this may be why I'm not seeing any difference in performace after the update--- because the way I'm adding more fuel is mechanical rather than messing with the fuel mapping like the JB does.

The probably made this change to the mapping due to all the folks that complained about bad MPG....:gaah:

Ya can't have it both ways folks---- of the two I'll take power over MPG any day of the week.

42 mpg on one of these is unreal!

fastfraser
08-07-2009, 11:21 AM
:2thumbs: Great wright up. Thanks for the heads up. I was holding off getting this done, but going to book an appointment after reading some positive results.

fastfraser
08-07-2009, 11:25 AM
[quote=Firefly;129532]

Ya can't have it both ways folks---- of the two I'll take power over MPG any day of the week.

:agree:With you more power!!

widowmaker2011
08-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Interesting findings and viewpoints. You may be on to something as many that have the Juice Boxes are having problems.

FYI - the O2 mod isn't going to provide more gas per say----

The fuel pressure mod sure does though. I have both---- so this may be why I'm not seeing any difference in performace after the update--- because the way I'm adding more fuel is mechanical rather than messing with the fuel mapping like the JB does.

The probably made this change to the mapping due to all the folks that complained about bad MPG....:gaah:

42 mpg on one of these is unreal!

The 02 mod tells the computer that the bike is lean , and tricks it into delivering more fuel by widening the bandwidth pulse at the injectors. No where near the extra fuel you are getting with both mods but yeah , it gets it some extra.

And I am NOT sure it has less power, It just has such a flat curve now it "seems" a tad off when running the hindle.(cuz it needs more fuel) It may not be. I can say for sure if you have a stock exhaust you should be very happy with the power after the reflash.

Batmobile
08-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the info!

Questions
08-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Had the recall software update done at dealer on 8/07/09 along with oil change and the addition of the 25" windshield on our 2008 SM5. After the recall immediately noticed an improvement in steering. The new windshield also makes a huge difference.

Went on a 230 mile ride the next day and everything was good for the first 200 miles. Performance was excellent, no backfiring through the Leo Vince as was usually the case, steering was much better and the bike just felt good.

At around 200 miles into the trip the check engine light came on and shortly thereafter the N and R lights began flashing and the E was toggling in the gear shift indicator. We immediately pulled over and tried the usual fixes of removing the key and waiting for several minutes. Nothing would clear the Check Engine light and the N, R flashing.

We proceeded on and decided to stop in at our dealer (Speed Sports in Livermore, CA, these guys are great :2thumbs:) to see if they could determine the problem. Along the way I noted the N & R flashing and the E indicator issue would clear when the bike was riding along in fifth, down shifting and up shifting all indicated fine unless we stayed in a lower gear for a period of time. The check engine light always remained on.

The shop was closed at our dealership but the owner took the bike in anyway and hooked it up to their diagnostic system. Even with the check engine light on and the flashing N & R lights it would not display an error code. He worked with it for a while until a GPS "not detected" or similar message appeared. We'll have to take the Spyder back in later this week for service.

As we drove home the last few miles we noted an increase in backfiring but the day was really getting hot, ~95 F or so, so perhaps this had something to do with it. We also noticed a very pronounced fuel smell coming from the Spyder when we arrived home which disappated after a while.

Anyway, we'll take it back for service, the dealer suggesting the GPS sensor may need replacing.

More later.

UPDATE:

On Friday, August 14th took the Spyder into our dealer to look at GP sensor. Of course, bike fired up and did not exhibit any of the problems reported previously. The technician hooked it up to the diagnostic system but everything checked out ok. As a precaution he ran the s/n through B.U.D.S. and it came back with the GP sensor needing to be replaced per an earlier notification. He replaced the GP sensor and an hour later we were back on the road. Did another 150 mile ride on Saturday through mountain roads, lots of switchbacks so lots of shifting. No problems cropped up whatsoever. Great day for riding!

TravelingSpyder
08-09-2009, 12:04 PM
For those of us with no engine savy, what is the GPS sensor? GPS to me is what I use to navigate.

DynamoBT
08-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Gear Position Sensor