PDA

View Full Version : Riding Gear Choices

redrazor
05-24-2020, 02:34 PM
I'm sort of new to the Spyder world; but have been curious as to what clothing and riding gear other Spyder Lovers wear when riding their 3-wheelers.(??)
Riding my recently sold Harley Street Glide and other bikes I usually wore a leather jacket and jeans or often times leather pants or chaps. Always wore my double soled engineer boots so my short legs could reach the ground. (no jokes please) In warmer weather I almost always put on a long sleeved Safety Green or Safety orange T-shirt. Now, it seems, that I just jump on the RTL with my Shoei Neo-Tech and what ever I'm wearing to go on short rides. What do you all wear or think we should be wearing?? :popcorn::popcorn:

BoilerAnimal
05-24-2020, 02:39 PM
The old adage "Dress for the slide, not for the ride" still applies!

ARtraveler
05-24-2020, 03:03 PM
I have always been a proponent of ATGATT. I have all the stuff. That worked for me when I was in Alaska.

Now in Arkansas, I am finding it is just to darn hot. It was high 80's today, and quite toasty in the sun.

We always wear helmets, gloves (fingerless) for me, boots, and jeans. It was short sleeved orange t-shirt for me today. In hot weather, it is always a calculated risk. We take ours, and criticize no one else who may choose to do the same.

Most of our current riding is on two lane, mostly deserted roads. We like to toodle along at 35-40 mph most of the time. Most of the road hazards we encounter are road killed armadillos and squirrels.

For above 50 mph riding on busier roads, the jackets come out regardless of temps. We do have mesh now.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-24-2020, 04:46 PM
I'll probably get " chastised " for saying this .... I do wear riding gloves according to the weather ( even at 95F ) ..... I will also wear a lightweight leather jacket or heavier, weather dependent ..... I wear a helmet 80% of the time ..... A spyder is not going to " go down ", if you flip it , No amount a safety gear is going to matter ...... PLEASE NO one do what I do ...... good luck ..... Mike

Northofthesix
05-24-2020, 05:05 PM
Having gone down years ago on a Yamaha 1300 at about 35mph (light drizzle and railway tracks I learned later were the site of a dozen accidents over the years), totaled the bike (it did cartwheels while I slid down the pavement behind it), and getting 4 cracked ribs and a cracked shoulder and a concussion... I examined my gear... sanded stripes down the back of my leather jacket, a small friction burn on my leg on the gap at the top of my chaps, and a helmet with enough inside cracks to convince me my gear saved my life. I never ever EVER ride without full gear... helmet, boots, jacket (mesh with armour in summer) and chaps or kevlar reinforced riding pants. Momma didn't raise no fool....or if she did, my wife cured me of the stupid after that incident....

CopperSpyder
05-24-2020, 05:17 PM
Modular Helmet, Mesh armored jacket, Gloves, Jeans, Leather boots.

JayBros
05-24-2020, 08:13 PM
It depends upon the value you place on your personal safety. While a Spyder may not go down, an accident or meeting engagement with something else will probably separate you from your vehicle unless you have the strongest hands and arms known to humankind and how you're garbed could possibly prevent mucho road rash or worse. ATGATT!

redrazor
05-24-2020, 09:50 PM
:hun:ATGATT (??)

Woodaddict
05-24-2020, 10:24 PM
:hun:ATGATT (??)

All The Gear All The Time...……………….now you know, no more HUH???? lol

poli
05-24-2020, 10:24 PM
All The Gear All The Time

Haze
05-24-2020, 11:44 PM
Atgatt

TicketBait
05-25-2020, 02:12 AM
ATGMOTT

All The Gear Most Of The Time

PaladinLV
05-25-2020, 02:48 AM
Rode an HD for 50 years.
Still wear the same clothes :clap:

Peter Aawen
05-25-2020, 03:01 AM
ATGMOTT

All The Gear Most Of The Time

Altho once you start down that path, it can, & sometimes quite rapidly at that, become

MOTGSOTT (Most Of The Gear Some Of The Time!)..... :shocked:

and then before you know it, that can morph into....

SOTGMIIFLI (Some Of The Gear Maybe If I Feel Like It!) :yikes:

And then it's all downhill from there, with the ultimate result can be lotsa skin grafts & prosthetics, IF you're lucky! :gaah:

For me, it's generally ATGATT, altho if I'm being honest, I must admit that, like I suspect many others do, there is the odd occasion when I make an 'on the spot risk analysis' & might choose to do something juuust a little short of full on ATGATT!! :opps: But as an ex Emergency Services/First Responder, I do that knowingly & very aware of the risks I'm facing! :thumbup: After all, it's my limbs and my skin and my brain that I'm putting at risk, what I do with that lot is really only MY business; just as what you do with your gear is ultimately only your business! :lecturef_smilie:

Ryde Safe, Stay Healthy! :2thumbs:

Gwolf
05-25-2020, 05:37 AM
Same as I have worn on all the other bikes. Only reason to ever change is improved gear and materials.