PDA

View Full Version : Broken Wheel

rick_w
05-24-2020, 02:06 PM
We had a great time riding in Colorado for the last week. We had two Spyders and our son's sport touring bike.
Had one little issue going up route 149 about 5 miles south of Lake City CO.
Coming down the mountain there was a rock about half the size of a regular brick in the middle of the road, same color as the roadway. There were winding curves and speed was 35 mpg with rock ledges on the right and 1000 foot drop off on the left side. I moved to the right as fast as I could to miss the rock but ended up hitting it with the front left tire.
The air blew out of the tire instantly, looks seal broke air came out (you could hear the boom). With no air the rock came in contact with wheel splitting it in two. I have never seen anything quite like it. Stopped immediately and that was it for the bike.
We were riding our 2017 F3 LTD. Fortunately we just had to get it on a flatbed and down into Lake City and off the mountain so we could go and get the trailer. Our trailer was in Denver 270 miles away. It's back in Denver now.
Has anyone seen anything quite like that with a stock Spyder Wheel?

Bfromla
05-24-2020, 02:49 PM
Believe MurphyBrown had one think was 2016. Know got fixed & There were more threads about it here’s one she makes a quick comment bout it.
https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?96616-Long-trips-on-a-Spyder-When-things-go-wrong

trikermutha
05-24-2020, 03:22 PM
MAn I hit a pot hole with the federals and blew the tire but didn't damage the rim. With enough impact on the windy road that could cause the wheel to crack like that.

I have bent several wheels on my car with hard impacts too.

Just lucky you didn't get hurt.

Copperman
05-24-2020, 03:27 PM
WOW! I've never seen anything like that. Good thing you were able to stop in time.

RICZ
05-24-2020, 03:45 PM
There are companies that do a great job of straightening and refinishing steel wheels. Cheaper than a new one, unless you can score a bargain from another Spyder owner.

Peter Aawen
05-24-2020, 07:38 PM
MAn I hit a pot hole with the federals and blew the tire but didn't damage the rim. With enough impact on the windy road that could cause the wheel to crack like that.

I have bent several wheels on my car with hard impacts too.

Just lucky you didn't get hurt.

True that!! However, despite the risk of sounding more'n just a bit like a scratched record, there's a good chance that Rick's 'incident' and the damage that did occur would've been sustantially worse if he'd still been running one of those dodgy & lightly constructed Kenda tires!! :shocked: There's no denying that the Federal tire he's got on that rim would be substantially stronger & more able to withstand that sort of rock strike, and if he was running it at a pressure appropriate to the load (saaay 16-18 psi) then the tire would've acted as a significant buffer between the rock & the rim to a much greater degree than an OE Spec Kenda at any pressure!! If his tire pressure was anything much higher tho, more of the damaging shock would be transferred directly into the rim; anything much lower, more rock to rim contact with less air cushioned buffer between the two!! :gaah: So you are absolutely right triker, especially about the 'Just lucky you didn't get hurt!' bit!! :shocked: Very glad you're OK Rick, that could've been really nasty!! :barf:

There are companies that do a great job of straightening and refinishing steel wheels. Cheaper than a new one, unless you can score a bargain from another Spyder owner.

I dunno RICZ, but from what I can see in the pics, even if it was steel & not the alloy it is, I think that rim of rick_w's is well beyond straightening & refinishing!! :shocked: I reckon that not even the very best of buffing jobs would be able to buff that one out!! :lecturef_smilie:

Ps: you might want to check out this thread rick. :thumbup: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?132035-2018-Can-Am-F3T-factory-oem-front-wheels&p=1518630#post1518630

trikermutha
05-24-2020, 08:22 PM
I dont know about the Federals , since I was running 19 PSI and a small pothole took out the tire. In this case the wheel got destroyed. Really surprised it did not bent but actually cracked around the wheel. Seems more of a crappy cast chrome wheel.

Like to see some better pictures if the OP can post?

rick_w
05-24-2020, 08:32 PM
I was running 20 PSI in the federals. The Wheel is not fixable at all. It is totally destroyed.
The tire looks fine actually. Will throw it out because I would not take a chance on the tire being damaged.
We have a set of Chrome aftermarket wheels back in the shop with Federals on them that will go on when we get it back to Ohio.

Gwolf
05-24-2020, 09:22 PM
The way the break looks, if you check it, I think you will find aluminum wheel. Aluminum will crack like that. Steel will usually just bend.

Marlin336
05-26-2020, 06:59 PM
Trikermutha, I have ridden that road many times. It can be very treacherous especially in the rain. Any time you ride the passes out here you have to be very careful. My buddy hit a rock coming down on the Million Dollar Highway in the rain. The only reason he did not go down is he was a mc trainer for the pd. The rain up in the higher elevations comes down in torrents and you have flooding. I have been in a foot of water at times.
Be safe.

davev1pa
05-26-2020, 07:11 PM
That's an incredible amt of damage...I wouldn't have thought it could be that extensive. Sry.

rick_w
05-26-2020, 07:31 PM
Ok here are the pictures of the wheel of the bike.
Stopped at Pit Bull in Springfield MO. A few days ago they had found a set of Purple wheels stashed away that had been done up a couple years ago. Len gave me a great deal on them. They checked the bike out and everything was fine. Yes they are aluminum wheels.
Also stopped over at our friends at Lamonster Garage for a visit and to pick up parts. It was a great day.

Trip Pictures, https://www.facebook.com/media/set?set=a.3829855980420817&type=3