PDA

View Full Version : Can the Recall Update be UNDONE?

Batmobile
08-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Can it be set back to default settings or once its done its done, unless they install it again?
I was so happy with my spyder before I had it done. I even thought about not doing it, but I thought better safe than sorry. Now I am SORRY!:(
The handling was great, it ran smooth at lower rpm, and pulled hard from 4K rpm up in any gear. Now it surges trying to hold a constant speed, check engine light comes on from time to time with "CHECK DPS" scrolling with no powersteering, high speed cornering the steering is too sensitive, and acceleration isn't what it was. Before if you were cruising in 5th gear at 65 or 70 and came up behind someone driving say 55. If you let off and coasted down to there speed until it was clear to pass, you could stay in 5th blip the throttle and be gone. Now you have to down shift because it won't pull hard unless you are above 5k rpm. It just seems more sluggish, maybe they did flatten out the curve to help gas mileage. I liked the performance, maybe the fuel update could have been optional. Also if I turn on the JB, even at half the numbers we were using, it pops and backfires on decel.:gaah:So it's pretty much useless for me now.
Ok. Sorry, rant over.
I just miss the good ol days:pray:
Thanks, Chris

Firefly
08-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Can it be set back to default settings or once its done its done, unless they install it again?
I was so happy with my spyder before I had it done. I even thought about not doing it, but I thought better safe than sorry. Now I am SORRY!:(
The handling was great, it ran smooth at lower rpm, and pulled hard from 4K rpm up in any gear. Now it surges trying to hold a constant speed, check engine light comes on from time to time with "CHECK DPS" scrolling with no powersteering, high speed cornering the steering is too sensitive, and acceleration isn't what it was. Before if you were cruising in 5th gear at 65 or 70 and came up behind someone driving say 55. If you let off and coasted down to there speed until it was clear to pass, you could stay in 5th blip the throttle and be gone. Now you have to down shift because it won't pull hard unless you are above 5k rpm. It just seems more sluggish, maybe they did flatten out the curve to help gas mileage. I liked the performance, maybe the fuel update could have been optional. Also if I turn on the JB, even at half the numbers we were using, it pops and backfires on decel.:gaah:So it's pretty much useless for me now.
Ok. Sorry, rant over.
Thanks, Chris

No way will they -'undo' this update. You need to go see your dealer and have them fix the problems. It seems there may be a relationship between those using the juice box and this update causing problems.

Regardless of the update - I wouldn't even think of being in 5th gear under 5,000 rpms - this rotax likes to run higher rpms. I don't even think about 5th gear until 65-70 mph--- heck you can hit 63 mph in 1st gear!

Sorry you're having problems - but I think you need to yank the juice box - have the update done again and see what your dealer says.

I would not dissuade people from getting this update done as it solves some dangerous steering problems.

Batmobile
08-06-2009, 10:09 PM
No way will they -'undo' this update. You need to go see your dealer and have them fix the problems. It seems there may be a relationship between those using the juice box and this update causing problems.

Regardless of the update - I wouldn't even think of being in 5th gear under 5,000 rpms - this rotax likes to run higher rpms. I don't even think about 5th gear until 65-70 mph--- heck you can hit 63 mph in 1st gear!

Sorry you're having problems - but I think you need to yank the juice box - have the update done again and see what your dealer says.

I would not dissuade people from getting this update done as it solves some dangerous steering problems.

I wasn't trying to get people not to do it. I just wanted to know if it could be undone. They downloaded it twice at the dealer because of the issues with the check engine light and code.
Now I have serious steering problems and I didn't before.
I know it likes higher rpms but it had the balls to pull it off before and now its flat in that range between 4k and 5k
The steering used to get tighter at higher speeds so you could make small changes in high speed turns, now its so sensitive any pressure on the bars and it moves all over the place.
I know this is all with my spyder and others have had the update done successfully and are happy.
I just wanted to know if it was possible after the update for them to reset back to the default settings and maybe at least start from there.:dontknow: Since it was running flawless until then.

BLACK WIDOW
08-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Ok. Sorry, rant over.
Thanks, Chris

Don't give up yet---I had a problem with mine that showed up when I was 300 miles from home.:yikes: The problems I was having wasn't as severe as yours; However, mine was sputtering, popping, missing and generally running terrible; Especially at low speeds.
That has been about 700 miles ago and now the thing runs better than it ever has.The only thing I did was trim down the NO. 2 mode on the JB a couple of settings and drive the hell out of it for about 300 miles. I guess the computer corrected itself.:dontknow: I never noticed much, if any difference in the steering, never had a complaint with that.nojoke:doorag:

barb36jack31
08-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Had the steering download done today. My Spyder went from a smooth running, sharp accelerating machine to a dog! Surging, significant drop in acceleration and just not much fun to ride. I had huge reservations about getting it done, but felt that the potential danger of faulty steering outweighed that. Very sorry I did it now. Will take it back to the dealer, but if this can't be fixed , I am afraid I will let her go and get something else. Having had such great performance, I cannot ever be satisfied with the anemic machine I have now.

jwfranklin
08-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Had the steering download done today. My Spyder went from a smooth running, sharp accelerating machine to a dog! Surging, significant drop in acceleration and just not much fun to ride. I had huge reservations about getting it done, but felt that the potential danger of faulty steering outweighed that. Very sorry I did it now. Will take it back to the dealer, but if this can't be fixed , I am afraid I will let her go and get something else. Having had such great performance, I cannot ever be satisfied with the anemic machine I have now.

I've thought about selling mine, was thinging about getting another, but I know I wouldn't buy one that runs like mine does. and doubt that anyone else would either. So unless BRP comes up with a fix, I guess I'm stuck with a useless piece of JUNK.

BeRight
08-18-2009, 03:51 PM
How can we be really sure that this software update solves "dangerous steering problem/potential."

No one knew there was a steering issue until some people reported it and some have incurred an accident because of it.

My view, until this first recall update is fully successful for all vehicles in the field and no reported steering failures over a period of time (months)-who knows :dontknow:

BRP engineers and software quality control eingeers think so, but more than a few stock Spyders don't seem to like this update. Easy enough to disable power assisted steering until the smoke clears - Spyder is quite enjoyable and more dependable without it. Several people didn't even realize that they didn't have it for quite some time.

Bersquack
08-18-2009, 07:37 PM
I'm not sure my dealer did the update when I got in for my 3000 miles service a few weeks ago. Now I have to take it in for the 6000 miles service and am not sure I want to have it done.

Making me nervous.

bone crusher
08-18-2009, 08:33 PM
No way will they -'undo' this update. You need to go see your dealer and have them fix the problems. It seems there may be a relationship between those using the juice box and this update causing problems. Not so sure about the JB causing a problem...in fact, it can likely fix a problem as it's the only way a person can affect the fuel should the update be off a little...I am going in this weekend and will shut off the JB...when the update is done, I'll reboot the computer...disconnect the battery for a while...reconnect, idle for 15 minutes, shut off again...and then give it a go...hopefully all will be fine...I'll play with the JB later to tweak things...

I would not dissuade people from getting this update done as it solves some dangerous steering problems. Agreed...steering fix can save your life...some rough riding can be corrected...

Fun2
08-18-2009, 08:56 PM
Both of ours have been done - no noticeable change in performance:2thumbs:

Batmobile
08-18-2009, 09:34 PM
Mine has been at a second dealership for a week now. They are getting a new DPS unit to hopefully solve the periodic check engine light and scrolling "CHECK DPS". After the tech drove it he called me to tell me what he thought and I quote, " Your bike runs like a piece of s**t!". Which I totally agree. With it running a little hotter now and surging worse the hotter it is, it really can't be driven here in southern Texas with the heat and humidity we have right now.
So they will try and fix one problem at a time.:sour:

I definitely agree with others about calling BRP customer support and having them document your problems and when you had the update done. One number is on their website and another one is on the recall letters. You can also email them at spydertech@brp.com. Just have your vin # handy and they can pull up all of your info. I even got a call back this week to see how things were going.:D So I think they are trying.

G-Strad
08-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Some of these issues should be posted in the Spyderlovers forum. Lamonster has a poll running to gather data and send to BRP. He is very active in all aspects of the Spyder. Seems to have a huge knowledge base. Check it out. I am waiting to have the update done until more is heard from BRP. I have the Evoluzione high flow air filter, O2 modifier and a Leo Vince exhaust. It runs great! Stronger and smoother than stock. Throttle is much more drivable. Stock, the throttle seemed very touchy, not any more. I would be very irritated if I lost everything I gained with the upgraded parts. Guess time will tell. I hope BRP addresses these DPS update problem promptly. :dontknow:

barb36jack31
08-20-2009, 01:52 PM
My previous post spoke of how unhappy I was with the download. To my great suprise, the Spyder continues to run better and better with every passing mile. The hesitation is practically gone, but the crisp acceleration has not completely returned as yet. It still runs a bit hotter than before and I think it is a bit lean. Will report further as the miles pile up.

GaryTheBadger
08-20-2009, 04:47 PM
I confirmed today that my local service dept will NOT return the software back to pre-steering-update status. I've stopped ryding it altogether, feels like the engine is starving at mid-RPM, can't be healthy. I'm also waiting for a reply to my email to Spyder Tech Support.

Batmobile
08-20-2009, 09:57 PM
I confirmed today that my local service dept will NOT return the software back to pre-steering-update status. I've stopped ryding it altogether, feelsl ike the engine is starving at mid-RPM, can't be healthy. I'm also waiting for a reply to my email to Spyder Tech Support.

Hopefully the "fix" for spyders running like ours won't be too much longer.
:2thumbs:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13520

Latemarch
08-21-2009, 11:24 AM
I confirmed today that my local service dept will NOT return the software back to pre-steering-update status. I've stopped ryding it altogether, feels like the engine is starving at mid-RPM, can't be healthy. I'm also waiting for a reply to my email to Spyder Tech Support.

Have you tried pinching closed the hose from the purge valve to the throttle body? On some Spyders a stuck open purge valve is making the machine run really lean. If it runs better with the hose pinched then you've found your problem. If not at least that's one problem you don't have.

DragonSpyder
08-21-2009, 12:05 PM
It would be nice if we could confirm if it is running lean or rich. Some say they leaned out the JB settings and problem solved. I removed the quiet core from my exhaust and problem is slightly better. This should have leaned out the mixture. I have the o2 modifier so I can't imagine it is running lean.

fleet2904
08-22-2009, 10:49 AM
TALK TO A DEALERSHIP ABOUT THIS ON GOING PROBLEM.. THEY TOLD ME THAT ON TUESDAY 25AUG2009 BRP IS GOING TO BE DOING A WEBCAST WITH THE DEALERSHIPS ABOUT THIS PROBLEM SO HOPEFULLY WE WILL HAVE A ANSWER TO ALL THIS :cus:............:2excited:

bjt
08-22-2009, 12:42 PM
I had a discussion with the service manager at my dealership today and asked him if they have been getting owners complaining that the update caused the Spyder to run worse. He said that they personally haven't been getting complaints but he's seen the online talk of Spyders not running right after the update. He told me he thought it was an issue with the dealership doing the update correctly. There is more to be done above plugging into BUDS, accepting a few questions or prompts in a text box, and then unplugging the Spyder. Like widowmaker2011 stated in a previous post, there are other components that need to be reset or re-zeroed (like the TPS) for everything to work right. If the tech misses those steps, the computer is now using invalid data about throttle position, steering angle, yaw, etc. when trying to determine how much fuel to give to the engine or whether the VSS needs to intervene.

Probably those that have had a great running Spyder since doing the update had a tech who did the update 100% correctly. Those who've had issues probably had a tech that didn't pay attention to the full update instructions so they don't know that there is more to the update (but they think they know and think they did it correctly).

widowmaker2011
08-22-2009, 04:12 PM
I had a discussion with the service manager at my dealership today and asked him if they have been getting owners complaining that the update caused the Spyder to run worse. He said that they personally haven't been getting complaints but he's seen the online talk of Spyders not running right after the update. He told me he thought it was an issue with the dealership doing the update correctly. There is more to be done above plugging into BUDS, accepting a few questions or prompts in a text box, and then unplugging the Spyder. Like widowmaker2011 stated in a previous post, there are other components that need to be reset or re-zeroed (like the TPS) for everything to work right. If the tech misses those steps, the computer is now using invalid data about throttle position, steering angle, yaw, etc. when trying to determine how much fuel to give to the engine or whether the VSS needs to intervene.

Probably those that have had a great running Spyder since doing the update had a tech who did the update 100% correctly. Those who've had issues probably had a tech that didn't pay attention to the full update instructions so they don't know that there is more to the update (but they think they know and think they did it correctly).

Brian- agree almost 100% , however the full update instructions don't mention didley squat about tps reset and gps reset.... if the dealer follows the update instructions it isn't mentioned. So far from what I've seen the techs that have a working knowledge of the Spyder are catching this through experience, techs that are just following the bulletin are missing it due to it not being in the bulletin. Wake up BRP. Please.

docdoru
08-22-2009, 04:58 PM

IMO the reverse situation is true: technicians who did the upgrade wrong (= update failed to be installed) have no surging issues nojoke :chat:.

Just Doo Me
08-22-2009, 05:42 PM
I called the BRP number 1 866 767 0707 where the rep filed the serial # and told me to get the Dealer to call them.Told my dealer about the rough running in which I was the first to complain about and he contacted BRP and said he would call me back if he got any more info. Within a 1/2 hour he called back and said BRP was well aware in fact the tech he was talking to owned his own Spyder and his also had the problem.A fix is being worked on and released soon,dealer said he would call me when he gets it.

NancysToy
08-22-2009, 08:51 PM

That settles it. When I am able to get this done, or need any other service, I am riding to your side of the state to have it done at your dealer. A dealer that goes the extra mile, and inspires confidence, is well worth a two hour ride each way.

bjt
08-23-2009, 06:31 AM
Brian- agree almost 100% , however the full update instructions don't mention didley squat about tps reset and gps reset.... if the dealer follows the update instructions it isn't mentioned. So far from what I've seen the techs that have a working knowledge of the Spyder are catching this through experience, techs that are just following the bulletin are missing it due to it not being in the bulletin. Wake up BRP. Please.

I am only trying to repeat what he told me. He told me there was paperwork detailing a reset of other components after doing the software upgrade. If a tech didn't read over every piece of literature that was involved with a software update, they would have missed it. This could be a case of some documentation stating that after loading software upgrades to certain modules of the Spyder, some components need to be reset. Then a separate document for the steering upgrade saying that the upgrade will load to multiple Spyder modules. Hence the tech needs to "put two and two" together and realize that the steering upgrade will load software to multiple modules and a prior document stated that new software for those modules requires few additional steps to complete the process correctly. :dontknow:

Batmobile
08-23-2009, 11:12 AM
TALK TO A DEALERSHIP ABOUT THIS ON GOING PROBLEM.. THEY TOLD ME THAT ON TUESDAY 25AUG2009 BRP IS GOING TO BE DOING A WEBCAST WITH THE DEALERSHIPS ABOUT THIS PROBLEM SO HOPEFULLY WE WILL HAVE A ANSWER TO ALL THIS :cus:............:2excited:
:agree: I was told the same thing by another dealer :2thumbs:. Does anyone know what time? I need to make sure my local dealer watches itnojoke

speedster200
08-24-2009, 10:45 PM
The 2009-2 bulletin has to be done EXACTLY per the update and in the EXACT order. One false move and the unit WILL run like CRAP, it goes into limp home mode. If your unit is showing a DPS code when picked up the update wasn't done correctly. There is a last step that gets overlooked it's reseting the DPS torque sensor. That will make the Spyder scroll the DPS code.

If your Spyder runs bad after picking it up have the shop do it ALL over again. The update is worth it when done right.

krb1945
08-25-2009, 02:27 AM
problem. My "banana SM5" had a terrible darting problem before the update. Since the update the steering is perfect but the engine is spitting and a sputtering some. My SO's "red pepper SE5" was working perfectly both steering and engine performance before the update. Since the update it is even better according to my SO. My "black widow SM5" has not had the update yet. I plan to schedule it for next week in hopes it will run and steer a little better.

And yes... my garage has turned into a spyders nest if you also count the fiddle backs that are constantly taking up residence there. Thank goodness the shiny black racer keeps the pigmy rattlers and spyders under control around here.

GaryTheBadger
08-25-2009, 08:47 AM
I have confirmed that the BRP webcast with dealers is set for today, Aug 25, at 1pm Central Time, should last 30-60 minutes. The topic is the steering recall situation. I plan to call my dealer at the end of the day and find out where BRP is with this. I have stopped ryding my Spyder until its resolved.

Neither of the two local dealers I use knew about this webcast until I told them and they looked it up on their internal system to confirm it. If your Spyder has post-recall issues, you may want to alert you dealer to this call.

ArmyJoe
08-25-2009, 09:28 AM
I have confirmed that the BRP webcast with dealers is set for today, Aug 25, at 1pm Central Time, should last 30-60 minutes. The topic is the steering recall situation. I plan to call my dealer at the end of the day and find out where BRP is with this. I have stopped ryding my Spyder until its resolved.

I just called my dealer (Ask Powersports in Grove City, Ohio) and the service manager had no idea there was a webcast today. I also mentioned the performance issues from the update and he says he only aware of two "out of I don't know how many."

I'm going to wait another few weeks.

Batmobile
08-25-2009, 03:45 PM
I just called my dealer (Ask Powersports in Grove City, Ohio) and the service manager had no idea there was a webcast today. I also mentioned the performance issues from the update and he says he only aware of two "out of I don't know how many."

I'm going to wait another few weeks.

My dad bought his at Ask Superstore in Columbus and had the update done without any problems. I believe he said they had done around 20 without any issues. Mike in the service dept. is very knowledgeable about the spyder and I have talked to him a couple of times.

By the way, they were just voted by BRP #1 Spyder dealer in U.S.

smokster
08-25-2009, 04:01 PM
:agree: I was told the same thing by another dealer :2thumbs:. Does anyone know what time? I need to make sure my local dealer watches itnojoke
I was at my dealer today and heard the same thing.
Hopefully, since my bike is there, they will get it right...I know, wishfull thinking:helpsmilie:

ArmyJoe
08-26-2009, 02:04 PM
My dad bought his at Ask Superstore in Columbus and had the update done without any problems. I believe he said they had done around 20 without any issues. Mike in the service dept. is very knowledgeable about the spyder and I have talked to him a couple of times.

By the way, they were just voted by BRP #1 Spyder dealer in U.S.

That's good to hear. I'll take it to the Columbus location even though Grove City is closer to me. I had so many problems with Sales that I asked if they would take the Spyder back the day after I bought it.

ETA: I ran into your dad at the Columbus location this afternoon.

Batmobile
08-26-2009, 07:46 PM
That's good to hear. I'll take it to the Columbus location even though Grove City is closer to me. I had so many problems with Sales that I asked if they would take the Spyder back the day after I bought it.

ETA: I ran into your dad at the Columbus location this afternoon.

That's funny. What are the chances. He was picking up a lower A arm cover to replace the one that broke when a racoon ran out in front of him. He did notice that they changed the upper A arm covers on the latest 09s. They added an air scoop like the lowers have. I may have to invest in a new set. Can always use more air here in Texas.

ArmyJoe
08-27-2009, 03:04 PM
He did notice that they changed the upper A arm covers on the latest 09s. They added an air scoop like the lowers have. I may have to invest in a new set. Can always use more air here in Texas.

He pointed that out to me too, but we came to the conclusion that's only because that model had additional lights in the body. Since the lights plug holes normally used for airflow, the deflectors on the arms were added to compensate.

Batmobile
08-28-2009, 08:09 PM
Went by my dealer today. They replaced the DPS on Tuesday because of the occasional check engine light and scrolling "CHECK DPS" per Brp. It didn't work. :( So now they think it is a software glitch. It worked fine before download and aren't sure what to do next.

The dealer shows the new download for the surging, which I have also had since the download, on their computer but they have not been given the access codes yet. So maybe a fix is on the way soon for part of the problem.:D

Its been 23 days since download and basically without spyder. I'm getting anxious to ride since I use it for commuting and pleasure.:spyder: