PDA

View Full Version : Trying to buy a new 2020 RT limited chrome

MikeLightning
05-20-2020, 07:23 AM
I am currently in negotiations with the dealer. This will be my first Spyder and I am wondering how much under the MSRP of $28,799 should I be asking for? Thanks in advance.

Peacekeeper6
05-20-2020, 07:32 AM
I am currently in negotiations with the dealer. This will be my first Spyder and I am wondering how much under the MSRP of $28,799 should I be asking for? Thanks in advance.

I’d start with 15% off and negotiate up from there.

Good luck !!

JayBros
05-20-2020, 07:37 AM
You're dealing with a brand new model year that appears to be quite well received thus far so the biggest factor is the sales volume of the dealer(s) you're negotiating with; if you can, try multiple dealerships. You might have more success building a spreadsheet listing prices for everything you want by item and installation charge for add-ons. IMO, the biggest factor is the quality and professionalism of the service department if you want a good long term relationship with a dealership. Personally, I don't care for chrome so would go for the black version to save the most.

Pennyrick
05-20-2020, 10:10 AM
As the owners of five Spyders to date, we would advise that the dealers’s service department is more important than the final sales price. If you can work a service contract into the price (about $1,300-$1,500), try to do it. But check their service dept. reputation first.

Pennyrick

ARtraveler
05-20-2020, 10:32 AM
MSRP is ONE of the negotiation points.

Freight and setup should be included in that. If you have to pay additional...be careful.

Other items for possible negotiation...trade in value, accessories purchased at list or discount...installation free or discounted.

Bank financing rate. Shop around...you may be suprised.

Extended BEST warranty...the price will vary. You don't have to buy it from your dealer. You have two years to buy it before the OEM warranty expires.

Your final price will depend on all of the above. Some dealers will give on some and not on other points.

You should look at OTD (out the door price) and use that for comparison on dealer to dealer. Any dealer that is evasive...should not be considered.

Due to the popularity of the 2020 RT...dealers are going to be LESS cooperative than they might at the end of the season...now just about four months away.

Good luck in your hunt.

rick_w
05-20-2020, 11:23 AM

Go down to Honda East in Toledo. Should be $1700 off and no Freight or set up fees.

Copperman
05-20-2020, 11:37 AM
I recently (March 23rd) took delivery of a 2020 RTL dark. I paid $3300.00 less than MSRP. That included a $500.00 coupon from doing a BRP demo ride. That was a straight up buy with no trade. Other than sales tax there were no other fees. YRMV

In addition, BRP is now offering a 24 month extended BEST warranty with purchase of a 2020 RT or RTL. I called my dealer and he submitted the paperwork for me and I now have an extra 24 months of warranty.

ARtraveler
05-20-2020, 12:38 PM
I recently (March 23rd) took delivery of a 2020 RTL dark. I paid $3300.00 less than MSRP. That included a $500.00 coupon from doing a BRP demo ride. That was a straight up buy with no trade. Other than sales tax there were no other fees. YRMV

In addition, BRP is now offering a 24 month extended BEST warranty with purchase of a 2020 RT or RTL. I called my dealer and he submitted the paperwork for me and I now have an extra 24 months of warranty.

That free extended warranty is a good deal. That was what I got on my 2014. The only Spyder so far that I had an extended warranty on. The "free" extended warranty is worth at least $700 (low ball price at a couple dealers), more from most.

MRH
05-20-2020, 01:19 PM
Right now, I would think you are in a very strong place to negotiate -- so much has been closed and sales are needed. Do look at the complete out the door cost, and get bids. I would think that, if you are patient and willing to travel a bit, $3K off isn't out of the question. I'm waiting until they announce the 2021's in September, as there are usually much larger discounts after the summer riding season. But, I have a Spyder, so waiting doesn't keep me from riding.

SpyderAnn01
05-20-2020, 03:53 PM
Right now, I would think you are in a very strong place to negotiate -- so much has been closed and sales are needed. Do look at the complete out the door cost, and get bids. I would think that, if you are patient and willing to travel a bit, $3K off isn't out of the question. I'm waiting until they announce the 2021's in September, as there are usually much larger discounts after the summer riding season. But, I have a Spyder, so waiting doesn't keep me from riding.

You would think that but you’d be wrong, since the dealers orders were cut due to the virus they will not be getting additional units anytime soon. So many of them are not negotiating much at all. Current offers are 2 year BEST and 2.9% financing through Sheffield.

Jon44MA
05-20-2020, 04:24 PM
I just signed for one today... 2020 RT Limited Grey, Dark. I bought a Ryker from the same dealer last year. Like mentioned above 2.99% for 60 from Sheffield and 2 extra years BEST. I got 1k off. I talked to 5 dealers in 4 states (New England, we're spread out). That was the best offer and it was from the guy closest to me that has a great service department. 10% off any accessories and free install.

It seems as mentioned above that production has dropped to 40% and most dealers were saying they aren’t expecting any more 2020’s. A couple thought a few they had ordered a while back will be in but they weren’t counting on it.

Joe T.
05-20-2020, 04:51 PM
As my Daddy used to say, when negotiating for a new car: 'On the street and rollin'!'

That meant EVERYTHING: Tax, title, license and enough gas to get to a station, etc. Today, I would include a multiyear FULL warranty.

Joe T.

MRH
05-20-2020, 05:17 PM
Sorry to hear about that production drop, I did not know.

scooterexpress
05-21-2020, 05:39 AM
i was looking at these also was told since brp shutdown and the limited amount of 2020s out there brp was not offering any cash incentives. so ive decided to wait for a 2021 which hopefully will roll out earlier than they usally do.

duke50
05-21-2020, 06:34 AM
2014 RT-S, bought in may of 14 at $3000 off msrp. No freight or set up, a fee of $175 for paperwork, that's it.

bikerbillone
05-21-2020, 06:37 AM
Pennyrick, you re so right, hard to judge a service department until you've actually used it. Sadly I used a service in Brandon FL instead of Eustis FL where I purchased and where I have confidence because Brandon is much closer, bad move, I won't do that again.