PDA

View Full Version : The flavor of gasoline

jeuchler
08-06-2009, 05:42 AM
The taste of gasoline has changed a bit since 1979, the last time I remember having siphoned any.

My daughter had the truck last night, and my lovely bride comes home with her car, all filled up with gas for her long business trip leaving early in the morning.

The lovely bride tells me that her inspection was due on her car--in June.

So, of course she could take the truck.

Daughter comes home with the truck with gauge on about 1/16th. (No--she's good kid, really. I just must've left her the truck on 1/15th!)

I go out to get gas.

As some of you know, this is a rural part of New England. I learn that the twelve nearest filling stations (not really all that near) all close by 11 p.m., which is why daughter didn't get any fuel.

So now I've easily wasted a gallon and a half looking.

I get up at 4:45a.m. and go out to siphon gas from the car to the truck.

Well, like I said, it was 1979 the last time I did this, and there were no anti-siphon flappers or dohickies on any of my vehicles back then.

The hose goes into the Spyder and I begin the "children-don't try this at home" process of sucking the gas out and into a gas can*

(* A proper gas container, 'cause you know I'm all about the safety.)

As I'm spitting out the gas (no, I didn't use a clear hose so to anticipate when the gas was getting close to avoid this annoyance, and I couldn;t find any hand pumps that I can swear I had back in '79) I realize that it tasted sweeter than I had remembered. No lead now? I put the gas in the truck, enough now for her to drive until some station opens later in the morning, and I wash my face with go-jo shop soap and brush my teeth and tongue and lips so I could kiss the lovely bride farewell before her trip.

Lovely bride says. "Forget it. I'll take my chances with the car. If they impound my car two hundred miles away, you can just come and get me..." and she kisses me goodbye and hops in the car and drives away, unknowingly leaving me the truck with now 5/128ths of a tank of gas and an empty Spyder.

Marriage. :dontknow::banghead:

Somehow I think there might be another chapter to this story coming...for your entertainment.

http://www.workathometruth.com/artwork/find-cheap-gas-gauge.jpg

NancysToy
08-06-2009, 06:42 AM
:roflblack: They say the taste buds are the first thing to go! :roflblack: Sounds exactly like something I would do. Thanks for the chuckle. BTW, how did breakfast taste this morning?

NewRider
08-06-2009, 07:05 AM
Which begs the question: are there different flavors for 87, 89 and 92 octane? ;)

NewRider
Indiana

jeuchler
08-06-2009, 08:15 AM
:roflblack: They say the taste buds are the first thing to go! :roflblack: Sounds exactly like something I would do. Thanks for the chuckle. BTW, how did breakfast taste this morning?

In the old days when I'd order a cup of coffee out, and the waitress would say "de-caf or regular?" I'd think I was clever and say "Hi-test" which, all the young whippersnappers might not remember, was what we called 95 octane leaded gas.

I had a cup of hi-test with breakfast today, for sure. :shemademe_smilie:

(My lips are still tingly.)

jeuchler
08-06-2009, 08:19 AM
Which begs the question: are there different flavors for 87, 89 and 92 octane? ;)

NewRider
Indiana

I would attest yes:

The Spyder had 87 octane. I always used high octane in my trucks.

And just for the record:

"Swallowing gasoline may cause damage to the linings of the mouth, throat, esophagus (food pipe), stomach, and intestines. If gasoline gets into the lungs (aspiration), serious and possibly permanent lung damage can occur.
The harsh taste of gasoline makes it unlikely that large quantities will be swallowed. However, several cases of poisoning have occurred in persons trying to suck (siphon) gas from an automobile tank using a garden hose or other tube. This practice is extremely dangerous and not advised."

sabunim5
08-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the story. Can't wait for the sequel

Director
08-06-2009, 02:04 PM
:yikes: Now that must have tasted like :barf::roflblack:

Thanks for the chuckle!

Bruce

jeuchler
08-07-2009, 06:31 AM
:yikes: Now that must have tasted like :barf::roflblack:

You never have?!

Oh, man, Bruce, you gotta try it!

Um, I mean---Swallowing gasoline may cause damage to the linings of the mouth, throat, esophagus ...

Thanks for the chuckle!

Bruce

Hey, you know me. My true life Spyder exploits are better than alot of things on television that have a laugh track...:joke:

jeuchler
08-07-2009, 06:34 AM
Aww, that's just internet myth......Roaddog use to syphon lots of gas without suffering any long term ill effects........:roflblack:

Well, HDX...you DO know way more about motorcycle engines than me...

and you WERE right about the CHAD...

and if RoadDog does it...well...

OK! :2thumbs:

I'm going out to mow the lawn now--oops, it looks like the tractor needs gas...

jeuchler
08-07-2009, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the story. Can't wait for the sequel

Yeah...the way things go around here, you won't have to wait long...

NewRider
08-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Reminds me of a friend...back in 1973, he accidentally swallowed some gasoline, while siphoning. He was pronounced okay by the EMTs...two hours later, he cut a fart...

Police in Kansas City found his body...:ohyea:

NewRider

jeuchler
08-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Reminds me of a friend...back in 1973, he accidentally swallowed some gasoline, while siphoning. He was pronounced okay by the EMTs...two hours later, he cut a fart...

Police in Kansas City found his body...:ohyea:

NewRider

The taste of gasoline has changed a bit since 1979, the last time I remember having siphoned any...

Oh, that's right, I remember now--it WAS 1973...:joke:

krb1945
08-10-2009, 03:17 AM
Story! It does my ole heart to know that there are others on the planet going through the same things I go through. I tell my two daughters... "car won't run without gas" but will they listen, nooooo.

A super story though... I enjoyed reading it.

jeuchler
08-10-2009, 06:48 AM
Story! It does my ole heart to know that there are others on the planet going through the same things I go through. I tell my two daughters... "car won't run without gas" but will they listen, nooooo.

A super story though... I enjoyed reading it.

Two daughters = sainthood, automatic.

Roaddog2
08-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Aww, that's just internet myth......Roaddog use to syphon lots of gas without suffering any long term ill effects........:roflblack:
:agree:and still do and yes gas taste different today than yester year must be the Ethanol.Now I'm in to alot of Castrol coolant products I can tell you what kind of coolant it is bye smell and taste:ani29:

Smylinacha
08-13-2009, 04:27 PM
John, I wish you guys were our neighbors!:2thumbs::roflblack:

Aussie spyder
08-13-2009, 04:45 PM
I can't see your problem. you did have plenty of gas.I was allways told that E stands for enough and F stands for fill up.
Greetings from down under. Henk

Roaddog2
08-13-2009, 09:48 PM
Nah, it's the missing lead..........Well that to :gaah:avation fuel still has some lead if your still into drinking it also you can tell it doesn't evaporate when it hits the ground like it used to it stays there for a while.:gaah:

jeuchler
08-15-2009, 08:16 AM
:agree:and still do and yes gas taste different today than yester year must be the Ethanol.Now I'm in to alot of Castrol coolant products I can tell you what kind of coolant it is by smell and taste:ani29:

RoadDog -

Would it be mean of me to say

"Ohhh...that explains alot..."

jeuchler
08-15-2009, 08:25 AM
John, I wish you guys were our neighbors!:2thumbs::roflblack:

Nahh, you really don't.

"Two farmers, Clem and Joe, worked adjacent farms all their lives.

Every day, Clem and Joe would go to their mailboxes to get the mail.

Joe would say, " G'morning, Clem."

Clem would reply, "G'morning, Joe."

...That was their only conversation. They'd get their mail and return to their fields.

One day, after thirty years of this, Joe walks to get his mail and says to Clem.

"G'morning, Clem! How are you doin'?"

Clem stares at Joe and snaps back, "None of your goddam business--and if your weren't my best friend, I wouldn't even told you that much!"

I'm like Clem.

jeuchler
08-15-2009, 08:31 AM
I can't see your problem. you did have plenty of gas.

:roflblack:

I was allways told that E stands for enough and F stands for fill up.

...One of my father's favorite sayings!

His other one was, when he (who was colorblind) would run a red light and we'd comment on it, he'd reply "No, it was only pink..."

Greetings from down under. Henk

Hey, aren't you just coming out of winter down there?! :thumbup:

jeuchler
08-15-2009, 08:34 AM
Well that to :gaah:avation fuel still has some lead if your still into drinking it also you can tell it doesn't evaporate when it hits the ground like it used to it stays there for a while.:gaah:

...When you pour it in an underground yellowjacket nest and light it, it also explodes differently.

Amazing the things experience teaches us...

Kjen
08-15-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm way late with an answer, but I just read this. Loved the story John, thanks for the laugh. Good thing you don't smoke, that would have been another story. Way to go for Barb trusting you would go and get her.:clap::2thumbs:

jeuchler
08-15-2009, 11:11 AM
I'm way late with an answer, but I just read this. Loved the story John, thanks for the laugh. Good thing you don't smoke, that would have been another story. Way to go for Barb trusting you would go and get her.:clap::2thumbs:

Yes, well...OR, she knows if I didn't get her the consequences for me would be way worse than mere poisoning or simple explosion...

(Glad you made it home safely!)

Roaddog2
08-17-2009, 05:28 PM
RoadDog -

Would it be mean of me to say

"Ohhh...that explains alot..."no it would not tonight I'm about knee deep in Syntillo 9913 another fine Castrol Product :ani29:

Neez
08-31-2009, 10:48 PM
Thrust hose in tank. Cover hole in end of hose with thumb. Draw up quickly on hose. Release thumb from hole. Thrust hose in tank. Repeat until gas starts from end of hose. Lower end of hose into container to start syphon. Thumb acts as a flapper valve. Skill from my misspent youth. Don't ask. Fugetabout it.