PDA

View Full Version : BajaRon or others that switched from a GS/RS to Ryker (900, not RE).

wyliec
05-17-2020, 02:34 PM
BajaRon,

Acceleration to highway speeds, the same or similar. Posture in saddle, similar; I'm 5' 10" at 176, and never had a problem with positioning on the seat. I did have Magic's risers, and really never noticed much change. I did have an SM5, and noticed it is a CVT; did you feel a big difference. I do plan on visiting my dealer once they open again, and my Spyder was a 2008 purchased new.

Thanks

Mazo EMS2
05-17-2020, 02:46 PM
Not the same, but we have a Ryker 900 and a 1330 RT. My wife does a pretty dang good job of sticking right with me on the Ryker while I ride the RT. The Ryker has a lot of giddy up, with no problem smoking the tire. I would compare her seating position pretty close when she sits on each, but with her feet more in front of her on the Ryker. She is about 5' 5"

BajaRon
05-17-2020, 07:05 PM
I have not 'Switched'. I simply own both now. The Ryker is a blast. The CVT makes it ride like it had much more power than it actually does. It is bare bones, lighter and more nimble than the GS/RS. But it does not feel as substantial as the heavier ride (not a bad thing). And it certainly does not offer even the limited storage of the GS/RS. The CVT does pull down on deceleration, which was my only concern. I had an automatic motorcycle that free-wheeled when the throttle was backed off. A very negative thing. But the CVT pulls down as well as any transmission I've owned.

They are both great rides. And the Ryker is the epitome of a 'Starter' ride. Turn the throttle to go, step on the brake to stop. Short of a 'Self Driving' vehicle. It doesn't get any easier than this. Anyone can jump on a Ryder and concentrate on everything but how to operate it. And yet, I think many will stick with the Ryder for a long time. It's just that much fun. I've done 600 mile days on mine. And loved every minute of the ride.

As for seating position, and the rest. I haven't really paid that much attention to it. Plus, I modified the handlebars on my GS. I raised them up and moved them back. Leaning on my forearms all day long was not a plus for me.

Daniel is 6'4" and it's adequate for him. Though a little more leg room would be nice.

tofriendscreek
05-18-2020, 06:59 AM
My RS ryding was a long time ago, but I certainly remember the fun and adventures I had putting 30K miles on it. As Ron did, I modified the handlebars to alleviate my having to lean forward putting pressure on my palms and shoulders. I did have seal floorboards too. It was a super ryde.
I had my 17 F3 in for some warranty work a few months ago. Through no fault of the dealer (the replacement part was defective from the warehouse) I was stuck until the dealer graciously sent me back home on a Ryker. I had it for week and found it to be fast, nibble and very responsive. It was very basic in all aspects, but hit the throttle and it would fly, maneuvered very well and in retrospect, rode reasonably similar to the RS.
I take a lot of long trip, so with extremely limited storage and other factors, the Ryker isn’t for me. But, it was certainly a fun day tripper.
It was very was easy to mount, very simple to operate, and with no gear shifting needed, it was a fun week of ryding, whether local streets or high speed freeways. I was impressed.