PDA

View Full Version : First ride on Spyder: 200 mile impressions

VStarRider
05-17-2020, 05:34 AM
I took my first extended ride on my new to me 2015 STS SM5. This is the first extended ride I’ve taken on three wheels; been on two wheels for ten years (age 44) and also own a Gold Wing.

1. I feel safer, more confident. On two wheels, there’s a thick layer of awareness and focus that that is not necessary on a Spyder, at least not at such a high level. On my GW, I like pushing it through the curves, but I am always focused on looking for the patch of gravel kicked up from the shoulder, the deer or car that pulls out and performing an evasive maneuver.... even having to think about where I stop and put my feet down. On the Spyder, all my mental energy is on using my “motorcycle vision” because the inherent stability of the machine removes the component of having to actively process how to manage the machine.

2. I expected trouble with tracking and wandering, and had none. Perhaps it’s my years of snowmobiling experience ... snow conditions can lead to all sorts of handling characteristics out of the front end of a sled ... that made it natural to keep my arms and grip loose and let the machine make minor corrections itself rather than trying to force it to through the bars? Not sure, just know it was a piece of cake.

3. Ride quality - excellent - particularly the front end.

4. Gas mileage not as bad as feared - about 35 mpg. There’s 155 miles with two bars left on the fuel gauge since last fill up.

5. Comfortable riding position - love the upright position of the STS with feet slightly behind my knees. Despite reading many complaints about the stock seat, I think it’s great. My bum was a tad sore in the last 50 miles, but nothing resembling pain.

6. Specific to the V-twin ... I know a lot of you here have the 1330 so this may not apply ... it loves to rev and it kills me to wind it up to 4000+ in each gear, when I’m used to 2500 rpm being plenty on the GW... but it is cool sounding engine that starts to pull hard north of 6000. It is a little busy at highway speeds, cranking 4500 r’s at 60, which can get fatiguing. The manual shift feel is the best I’ve ever experienced on any bike I’ve owned. As mentioned above, I’m getting decent fuel economy, estimated 35 mpg and about 200 miles per tank.

Overall, I really like it ... more than I expected ...actually quite a bit more, mainly due to the bike itself exceeding expectations and the stability of it adds to the enjoyment of the ride experience. I remember saying to myself at a few points yesterday ... “ please don’t like it more than the Gold Wing ... please don’t like it more than the Gold Wing!”

safecracker
05-17-2020, 05:57 AM
Great right up. Enjoy your new ryde. The V-twin uses alittle oil, check every 600 miles. Bruce

JayBros
05-17-2020, 07:12 AM
Welcome, good write up! Re #1, don't let your situational awareness drop one iota. The s***heads, distracted drivers and deer can still kill you.

VStarRider
05-17-2020, 08:38 AM
Welcome, good write up! Re #1, don't let your situational awareness drop one iota. The s***heads, distracted drivers and deer can still kill you.

Yep, I hear ya. I wasn't sure if I explained what I meant correctly. The Spyder allows me to actually focus more on situational awareness because I am not thinking about all the extra things that come with maintaining stability on two wheels ... lean angle, counter steering, brake inputs, etc, etc.

There's also more space left over for enjoying the ride itself!

VStarRider
05-17-2020, 08:53 AM
Great right up. Enjoy your new ryde. The V-twin uses alittle oil, check every 600 miles. Bruce

Thanks, I will do that!

CopperSpyder
05-17-2020, 09:02 AM
It was the same for me when I first rode the Spyder. And like you; I think it related to all the years of snowmobiling when I lived in Maine that it just seemed the handling of the Spyder came naturally. Now I'm hooked as you may soon be. Live to Ride, Ride to Live!! :2thumbs:

carbonation
05-17-2020, 09:25 AM

Agree, nice write up. And having owned a 2012, accurate.
The twin will use some oil as stated. I'm alone in this camp, but feel the twin needs a 50 weight if using a multigrade. My best results in a used oil analysis came from cheap Havoline 20w50 conventional, but I did run several changes on straight 40 weight Valvoline VR-1. In a 40, out a 40 at 4000 miles. Your machine, your choice of course. Again, I'm alone in this boat, everyone else runs a 40 weight and their engines are performing just fine.
If you think the front end is planted now, add BajaRon sway bar and migrate to one of the car tires mentioned in posts here. It's like moving from VHS to DVD.
Canisterectomy, BajaRon plug wires, and NGK XXX-EK plugs.
Fill, ride, wash, repeat.

ARtraveler
05-17-2020, 11:55 AM
RE: Rev's: I could not help noticing that you mentioned revving it up to 4000. The V-twin actually likes 5500 or higher. Give that a try. You will be in the power band then. It does take some getting used to...but it's learned quite quickly.

Running it below 3500 is not good for the tranny. Keeping it at 5500 or so in every gear is recommended.

We drove the Hana Hwy in Maui in first gear the whole hundred mile round trip. Speeds less than 30 the whole way.

Most will not use 5th gear until over 60 mph.

VStarRider
05-17-2020, 01:09 PM
RE: Rev's: I could not help noticing that you mentioned revving it up to 4000. The V-twin actually likes 5500 or higher. Give that a try. You will be in the power band then. It does take some getting used to...but it's learned quite quickly.

Running it below 3500 is not good for the tranny. Keeping it at 5500 or so in every gear is recommended.

We drove the Hana Hwy in Maui in first gear the whole hundred mile round trip. Speeds less than 30 the whole way.

Most will not use 5th gear until over 60 mph.

I heard its not good for the SE5 to be below 4000...but for the SM5 as well? I have been shifting about 4500 rpm most of the time and stay out of 5th until 55 mph.

ARtraveler
05-17-2020, 01:22 PM
I heard its not good for the SE5 to be below 4000...but for the SM5 as well? I have been shifting about 4500 rpm most of the time and stay out of 5th until 55 mph.

You are not harming your Spyder. Have you heard the phrase "try it, you'll like it?" Maybe some others will chime in about the 5500 suggestion.

My first ride was an 08 SM5, GS. And I had three other 990's. Did the same with all four of them.

Here is an interesting read...if you have not already seen it.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners