PDA

View Full Version : Need help 2018 RT brake not releasing & b/light flashing

ivan
05-14-2020, 07:43 PM
Help my spyder RT 2018 rear brake not always releasing and brake light flashes. when I get to dealer it seems to work

SpyderAnn01
05-14-2020, 08:30 PM
The dealer should be aware of this problem as it seems to be a rather common issue on the 18 RT. Tell them to check BOSSWEB and if they look at you funny you should find another dealer.

h0gr1der
05-14-2020, 08:35 PM
Help my spyder RT 2018 rear brake not always releasing and brake light flashes. when I get to dealer it seems to work

The 2018's have some known problems with the left switch pack (something to do with the parking brake circuit), and also the parking brake motor. Mine had to have both replaced under warranty. By the flashing brake light if you mean the indicator on the dash that is the indication of a brake fault. Use your phone to record the flashing red indicator with the odometer showing, then also record the fault code that goes with it in the same video. On mine they tried to say nothing wrong until I showed them the multiple videos of the problem. I'm not absolutely sure, but it seems to clear if the problem self corrects. Also, carry 2- 12mm wrenches and a pair of small fold up chocks until the problem is known fixed. If not you may be calling for a tow. The two wrenches can remover the locked up brake cable to allow you to move the Spyder to the shop or home.

bluewoo
05-16-2020, 07:24 AM
I had this also last year,Dealer wasn't worried about it. Then I started having issues shifting(paddle shifter) so another dealership replaced the left handlebar assembly and so far no problems. It was extremely hot that day also when my parking brake was off but the light was flashing like it was still on,then it finally reset it self after I released the cable. Never happened again then the paddle shifter isn't responding quickly last fall so it was replaced under a TSB just before this virus crap started.

h0gr1der
05-16-2020, 09:10 AM
I had this also last year,Dealer wasn't worried about it. Then I started having issues shifting(paddle shifter) so another dealership replaced the left handlebar assembly and so far no problems. It was extremely hot that day also when my parking brake was off but the light was flashing like it was still on,then it finally reset it self after I released the cable. Never happened again then the paddle shifter isn't responding quickly last fall so it was replaced under a TSB just before this virus crap started.

That was one of the contributors to my failures, it would only manifest in the heat. Below about 90°F it wouldn't show up, everything acted normal.