PDA

View Full Version : Passenger Handles

GA-SPYDER
08-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Hello to all,
I hope I'm in the right forum. My spyder is only used by me, no passenger. The wife has her own ride.
I am entertaining the idea of removing the handles. I did a search and came up empty. I know that they are part of the main support for the seat/rear bodywork. I recall seeing a post several months back, from a vendor, saying that they were working on something. Anyone remember that or exploring this also?
The back end of the :spyder2: looks like a sport bike, except for those "wings" sticking out. Just a thought, don't bash!:lecturef_smilie:

Rando
08-05-2009, 08:30 PM
I don't carry a passenger so I use the mono seat cover. I like the way it looks!

xraypat
08-05-2009, 08:36 PM
If you have the $ take a look at the Corbin smugglers trunk. Works with
the lines of the bars and it really looks like a :spyder2: from the back.
Get the solo seat and its perfect.

3wheeldemon
08-06-2009, 10:19 AM
If you have the $ take a look at the Corbin smugglers trunk. Works with
the lines of the bars and it really looks like a :spyder2: from the back.
Get the solo seat and its perfect.

Here is the link:

http://www.corbin.com/can-am/casmug.shtml

Director
08-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Hello to all,
I hope I'm in the right forum. My spyder is only used by me, no passenger. The wife has her own ride.
I am entertaining the idea of removing the handles. I did a search and came up empty. I know that they are part of the main support for the seat/rear bodywork. I recall seeing a post several months back, from a vendor, saying that they were working on something. Anyone remember that or exploring this also?
The back end of the :spyder2: looks like a sport bike, except for those "wings" sticking out. Just a thought, don't bash!:lecturef_smilie:

No bashing, but I wouldn't recommend this, if only because of how it will reduce the resale value of your Spydie. I don't know if it will affect the structural integrity of the rear end, but all in all, I don't see it as a good idea. :dontknow:

Bruce

CheeseCake
08-06-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm with GA-SPYDER....

show me the way to get rid of the Grab rails!!!
since they are just hard plastic I have thought about just cutting them off... jut not sure how it would look with the nubs there.... :yikes:

I looked at the Corbin item... not looking to add bulk.....

and as far as re-sale value....not a concern...
I'm modifying the bike for me.... not the next guy....

CC

Spyder#353
08-06-2009, 02:47 PM
If you look close at my avatar you will see that I don't have any handles. I laid out and cut them off. I filled in the voids with some plastic epoxy and sanded them down and painted them. Nobody ever notice that they are gone,:dontknow: until I bring it up.:D

I'm going to try to find a better picture and post it on my album

Director
08-06-2009, 02:57 PM
If you look close at my avatar you will see that I don't have any handles. I laid out and cut them off. I filled in the voids with some plastic epoxy and sanded them down and painted them. Nobody ever notice that they are gone,:dontknow: until I bring it up.:D

Hmm, I dunno, it still seems like a drastic step to me, kind of like signing a commitment to stay single forever!:D

Bruce

GA-SPYDER
08-06-2009, 03:05 PM

Just what I was looking for! Someone who has done it. Can't see the results in you pict. Please post a better pict when you can.
Thanks!

Carl

GA-SPYDER
08-06-2009, 03:07 PM
Hey Director,
What I was hoping for was possibly a replacement for the stock part. Then, it could be put back to stock later if needed.

bone crusher
08-06-2009, 03:53 PM
I'm with GA-SPYDER....

show me the way to get rid of the Grab rails!!!
since they are just hard plastic I have thought about just cutting them off... jut not sure how it would look with the nubs there.... :yikes:

I looked at the Corbin item... not looking to add bulk.....

and as far as re-sale value....not a concern...
I'm modifying the bike for me.... not the next guy....

CC

I agree...I've never bought a vehicle and thought about resale...if that is a concern, you might as well not put any miles on it and just keep it in a showroom.

BillGargan
08-06-2009, 04:04 PM
I agree...I've never bought a vehicle and thought about resale...if that is a concern, you might as well not put any miles on it and just keep it in a showroom.

So, for my curiosity, if a new model you like comes out that you want to buy, you do not care what you can get in trade for your existing ride?

Cars, bikes and homes are financial assets for most of us. We care for them in ways that allow their value to be retained -- to a reasonable extent. Even mileage is an issue with the value of cars and bikes!

You can customize your car, bike or home in most any way you like -- but, if you go to extreme lengths you can end up without any value in that asset.

If that does not matter to you-- financially or emotionally -- more power to you.

Spyder#353
08-06-2009, 04:10 PM
These are better pictures. I personally like the looks. All the sub structure is still there. All I did was cut the bars off. :ohyea: Some people don't like the rear fender and took it off. What is the difference. To me the bars are useless and to others. The rear fender is useless.

http://s837.photobucket.com/albums/zz292/Brown78/Bikes%20Only/?action=view&current=eda01342.pbw

3wheeldemon
08-06-2009, 04:21 PM
I think we are exaggerating the resale issue. You can always buy the OEM part back and install it. That is the maximum negative monetary impact of that mod.

I would be more concerned with the fact that riding shotgun becomes very unsafe without the bars (give it a try without touching them). You should also change the seat to a "mono" to avoid even the temptation of having a passenger.

3WD

Spyder#353
08-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Hmm, I dunno, it still seems like a drastic step to me, kind of like signing a commitment to stay single forever!:D

Bruce

At 62 yrs. 1 child, 2 grand children "girls" and a EX wife that has been married 4 time to my 1. I ain't never going back down that street. I don't think I would have what I have today if I, me "not you" were married. No reply necessary.

CheeseCake
08-06-2009, 04:54 PM

Very interesting....
so when you cut them you don't get a smooth surface?
I was thinking I might have to do a little smoothing but not any reconstructing..

Do you do your paint work?
I like the flames on your C3!
:2thumbs:

CC

CheeseCake
08-06-2009, 05:32 PM
So, for my curiosity, if a new model you like comes out that you want to buy, you do not care what you can get in trade for your existing ride?

Cars, bikes and homes are financial assets for most of us. We care for them in ways that allow their value to be retained -- to a reasonable extent. Even mileage is an issue with the value of cars and bikes!

You can customize your car, bike or home in most any way you like -- but, if you go to extreme lengths you can end up without any value in that asset.

If that does not matter to you-- financially or emotionally -- more power to you.

It's only money.....
didn't buy my Spyder as an investment....

CC

Spyder#353
08-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Very interesting....
so when you cut them you don't get a smooth surface?
I was thinking I might have to do a little smoothing but not any reconstructing..

Do you do your paint work?
I like the flames on your C3!
:2thumbs:

CC

The rails aren't solid. Inside it looked like a waffle, little tiny squares. That's why I had to fill them up with epoxy.
The paint. I can't drew stick people:roflblack: Same guy painted both vette and spyder. this kid is very good.:thumbup:

DannyS
08-06-2009, 08:11 PM
You can't injection mold something that thick solid. There are some pour methods but they don't work well for mass production. The hollows keep the material costs down, add structural strength and keep the plastic from sinking when it cools.:lecturef_smilie:

Frig
08-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Here's an idea for NMN or Kewlmetal. How about rails that retract under the seat when not needed, then pull out when you have a passenger. Kind of like flipping up the passenger foot pegs when not in use. I wish I had a metal fab shop.

GA-SPYDER
08-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Hey Spyder#353,
What type of epoxy did you use? Wasn't sure what it would take to stick to the plastic.
I can't drew stick people either.:roflblack::roflblack:

Firefly
08-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Well, to each his own. Doesn't make much sense to me - and I rarely have passengers---- but every now and then someone wants to go for a spin.

I doubt anyone would do an aftermarket retractable unit---- not enough need for it - not to mention the liability of such an add-on.

As far as resale value---- that is a big non-issue in my book. I don't care how many mods someone has done or not done to their Spyder - Most will not get anything over $10,000 for a used one-- and far less than that in a trade-up. Heck- you can buy NEW ones for $11,600 !

Even HD's don't hold value anymore.

The Spyder might have held value if they had kept their original low-volume plan in place (1st year PE's were originally supposed to be limited to 1,500).

Some Guy
08-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Well, to each his own. Doesn't make much sense to me - and I rarely have passengers---- but every now and then someone wants to go for a spin.

I doubt anyone would do an aftermarket retractable unit---- not enough need for it - not to mention the liability of such an add-on.

As far as resale value---- that is a big non-issue in my book. I don't care how many mods someone has done or not done to their Spyder - Most will not get anything over $10,000 for a used one-- and far less than that in a trade-up. Heck- you can buy NEW ones for $11,600 !

:agree: Plus, they give me more tie down spots when carrying duffle bags, etc. (since I don't have any saddle bags or top case).

spydsense
08-07-2009, 08:00 PM
[quote=Spyder#353;129331]If you look close at my avatar you will see that I don't have any handles. I laid out and cut them off. I filled in the voids with some plastic epoxy and sanded them down and painted them. Nobody ever notice that they are gone,:dontknow: until I bring it up.:D

I think your spyder looks awesome,:clap: nice sleek and clean lines. I am surprised more people don't take them off.

Spyder#353
08-07-2009, 09:54 PM
I think your spyder looks awesome,:clap: nice sleek and clean lines. I am surprised more people don't take them off.[/quote]

Thank you very much!!