PDA

View Full Version : Stripped yet ANOTHER bolt!!!

MONK
05-13-2020, 07:06 PM
I'm to the point where I truly wish someone would come along and f'in steal this thing. Seriously. If it wasn't illegal, I'd pay someone to steal it. I WAS going to take a nice long ride up the BRP Saturday. Now, I have to run across town, buy a pair of vice grips (cuz I can't find mine....could be during some previous vehicle work, I may have heaved them into the next county....who can remember), remove yet ANOTHER stripped bolt, bring the bolt back across town to buy another (cuz I have no idea what size I need), back home and hope I didn't cross thread it too bad.

I'm installing a set of Pierres floating highway boards. The VERY FIRST bolt I cross threaded. I tried a couple heavy duty pair of channel locks but it won't budge. It's MY fault as I was 99.4% sure the heads were torx (cuz everything else on the stupid bike is). They're hex. I must have watched his install video 20 times just to make sure I got everything right and I STILL got it wrong!

And to think I was talking to the dealership just today about installing a set of Tri Axis bars. (I mean, I wouldn't be installing them, thank God.) I...just...can't...do...anything...right...on...th is.

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-13-2020, 07:43 PM
Ouch! That hurts, even over here in Idaho, clear across the country! I've cross threaded a few bolts, even when I knew it could happen and was being super careful. :banghead:

ThreeWheels
05-13-2020, 07:51 PM
We've all been there.
And DON'T ask me about my adventures in plumbing.

Oh, I think I found your vise-grips in my yard.

Peter Aawen
05-13-2020, 08:28 PM
That's definitely NOT a great thing to hear, Monk!! :banghead: I do feel for you, only don't you feel too badly about it, cos if we're really honest with ourselves, anyone who's ever spun a spanner has cross threaded a bolt or two, and it invariably happens at exactly the most inconvenient time!! :gaah: At least you're only across town from the new vice grips & bolts, and not 1000 km of almost insurmountable sand dunes away from the nearest help!! :shocked:

Still, not trying to teach anyone who already knows/does this anything new, but for those who don't.... and I certainly dunno how much it'll help you now, Monk, but for whatever it's worth.... :dontknow: Read on!

Remember the old 'Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey' saying & recite it whenever you insert or undo a bolt juuuust to make sure you're at least likely to be turning the bolt the correct way; and then also practice making it a habit to ALWAYS turn any bolt at least a couple of turns LEFT (ie. counter clockwise) when you're first inserting it. :lecturef_smilie: If you do this with a little inwards pressure on the bolt as you turn, you should feel a slight 'click' as the first catch-point of the thread on the bolt passes over the engagement point of the starting thread in the hole. So if you feel for this 'click' before you start trying to tighten the bolt by turning it to the RIGHT (ie. clockwise) you should be more likely to engage the threads properly and thereby minimise the chances of cross-threading! :ohyea:

No guarantees of course, and that little pearl of unsolicited electronically shared wisdom is, as always, only worth the paper it's printed upon. But here's hoping it might help someone! :thumbup:

:cheers: and Good Luck!

Peacekeeper6
05-13-2020, 09:21 PM
I think it’s time for you to start another hobby, preferably something that doesn’t have anything to do with tools.

Either that, or get REALLY acquainted with a good mechanic, lol.

Tango
05-13-2020, 09:39 PM
Monk. You are no different than I am! We have all done that at one time or another. And I am still doing things like this. :thumbup: Hang in there. :coffee: Tom :spyder:

Valkrocket
05-14-2020, 05:04 AM
And getting the damn bolt out is usually just the beginning of the fun. (don't ask me how I know :banghead: ) I believe tap & dye sets were invented for just this purpose. Hang in there Brother.

YIRYDE
05-14-2020, 08:43 AM
And getting the damn bolt out is usually just the beginning of the fun. (don't ask me how I know :banghead: ) I believe tap & dye sets were invented for just this purpose. Hang in there Brother.

I couldn't agree more. I have crossed threaded a few in my time and quickly brought a tap and die set.

Trbayth
05-14-2020, 08:51 AM
Don't be too hard on yourself Monk. First time I went to check the oil level on my then new bike, I cross-threaded the dipstick putting it back in. :opps:

jcoats1
05-14-2020, 09:35 AM
I don't believe ANY of this is the bikes fault!!?

ARtraveler
05-14-2020, 09:54 AM
When your in that "other country," looking for the vice grips, see if there is a Maglite (the 20" one) floating around. I lost mine when I was installing the Seal floorboards around 2011. Poof...it was gone forever. There must be something going on about missing tools and floorboards. :roflblack: :roflblack:

MONK
05-14-2020, 12:36 PM
I don't believe ANY of this is the bikes fault!!?

It's my bike and my aggrevation. It can be anybodys (or anythings) fault I want it to be.

MONK
05-14-2020, 12:39 PM
When your in that "other country," looking for the vice grips, see if there is a Maglite (the 20" one) floating around. I lost mine when I was installing the Seal floorboards around 2011. Poof...it was gone forever. There must be something going on about missing tools and floorboards. :roflblack: :roflblack:

I've got a collection of Maglites. One might be yours. I think I've got (3) of the (6) D cell and (2) of the (8) D cell lights plus more (2) and (4) D cell lights than I could ever use. Most of them were given to me as job related. Work "upgraded" and didn't want the old ones back. Work didn't go to LEDs and/or rechargable batteries until just before I left.

troop
05-14-2020, 01:19 PM
Did the handlebar bolt get fixed ?

cptjam
05-14-2020, 02:26 PM
Wow! Next time that urge kicks in, and you reach for a tool, STOP! Go directly to the fridge, open a beer. Drink it. Keep that process going until the urge to touch a tool passes. You’ll be fine. It might take a few cases of beer, but eventually, that urge will stop. Then, you can just enjoy the ride. I gotta admit, you are tenacious! LOL! I m like that with singing. I keep trying, but I’m terrible. Generally, I drink first, then think I can karaoke like Buble’. It seems, I can’t. So there’s that!

MONK
05-14-2020, 04:10 PM
Did the handlebar bolt get fixed ?

I'm still waiting to hear back from the dealership to see if it will be fixed under warranty. I spoke w/them yesterday. They said if it's fixed under warranty, BRP might ask for the handlebars. Not really sure why. I guess, if they can fix it under warranty, I might have them install Tri Axis bars (no labor as it would be covered under warranty). If that's the case, they can keep the bars and make a wall decoration out of them as far as I'm concerned. It's not like I'd get any money out of a set of stock bars anyway and I don't need them cluttering up my house. (I can't even sell a brand new (~400 miles) stock seat.)

Peteoz
05-14-2020, 05:00 PM
Monk.....you goose......I have never, ever made any kind of mistake like that....... oh....wait.....is that a flying pig? ;)

Hang in there mate, I’ve cross threaded 3 of the Tupperware bolts, and a couple of other things that I dare not post here for fear of ridicule :clap:

Pete

Grandpot
05-14-2020, 05:36 PM
Monk.....you goose......I have never, ever made any kind of mistake like that....... oh....wait.....is that a flying pig? ;)

Hang in there mate, I’ve cross threaded 3 of the Tupperware bolts, and a couple of other things that I dare not post here for fear of ridicule :clap:

Pete

"Ridicule", oh come on, not here.:yikes:

Gwolf
05-14-2020, 05:48 PM
You won't cross thread as many bolts if you take torx socket or the hex socket off the ratchet and just use the socket in your fingers to get the bolts started. Don't put the ratchet on them until they are started and turned down 4 or 5 threads by hand. If they won't start straight, find out why. I keep a 10X magnifying glass hanging on a magnetic hook on the side of the tool box.

Peacekeeper6
05-14-2020, 06:39 PM
You won't cross thread as many bolts if you take torx socket or the hex socket off the ratchet and just use the socket in your fingers to get the bolts started. Don't put the ratchet on them until they are started and turned down 4 or 5 threads by hand. If they won't start straight, find out why. I keep a 10X magnifying glass hanging on a magnetic hook on the side of the tool box.

That is why I like to screw in the bolts for the tupperware by hand. I don't get when people place the bolt on the bit, jam the bolt in the hole and pull the trigger on a power tool. That's a great way to cross thread .

However, I use a power tool to take them off.

Revalden
05-14-2020, 10:02 PM
Hey Monk, I'll give you a hundred bucks for your Spyder and I'll even come pick it up. I'll consider it a Mental Health Mission. :cheers:

cptjam
05-15-2020, 01:42 AM
Me, too! I’ll go $200!

PMK
05-15-2020, 07:24 AM
Bummer, again.

PinkRosePetal
05-15-2020, 02:40 PM
Sheesh! You folks shouldn't be let loose on yer bikes with a tool in yer hand! What with chewed out heads, cross threads and slackening screws in the wrong direction...you do know which side of a brake pad is the disc side?! 'Course you do, it's the flat side.... ;)

Peteoz
05-15-2020, 04:24 PM
That is why I like to screw in the bolts for the tupperware by hand. I don't get when people place the bolt on the bit, jam the bolt in the hole and pull the trigger on a power tool. That's a great way to cross thread .

However, I use a power tool to take them off.

I’ve got some news for you, Peacekeeper..........I don’t even use a power driver to REMOVE the panel bolts, let alone tighten them, and I have still cross threaded a couple. I certainly don’t “jam the bolt in the hole and pull the trigger’, as per your rather significant assumption as to the cause of cross threading. I guess I’m just not as smart as you, eh? Oh well, I can live with that. :2thumbs:

Pete

PinkRosePetal
05-15-2020, 04:57 PM
OK, not meaning to diss anyone and not being a smartass but a little something to help... When using a tool to enter a screw the essential thing is to keep the screw thread at a right angle to the nut. Unfortunately we have arms, wrists, hands and fingers which are bendy: keep an imaginary line from the elbow, through the wrist and hand and into the driver and screw and rotate wrist and forearm without any misalignment. No wobbling, no holding out of line or any angle but 90 degrees. With a power driver the same rule except in a drill type because of the offset you need to keep the chuck centreline parallel to your forearm.

PMK
05-15-2020, 06:53 PM
OK, not meaning to diss anyone and not being a smartass but a little something to help... When using a tool to enter a screw the essential thing is to keep the screw thread at a right angle to the nut. Unfortunately we have arms, wrists, hands and fingers which are bendy: keep an imaginary line from the elbow, through the wrist and hand and into the driver and screw and rotate wrist and forearm without any misalignment. No wobbling, no holding out of line or any angle but 90 degrees. With a power driver the same rule except in a drill type because of the offset you need to keep the chuck centreline parallel to your forearm.

Good quality fasteners have proper thread form lead ins and seldom require the precision you mention. Low quality fasteners or sometimes stainless as used on Spyders will cold weld a section of threads from the mating fastener and cause all sorts of issues.

PinkRosePetal
05-15-2020, 07:14 PM
Good quality fasteners have proper thread form lead ins and seldom require the precision you mention....

Yes, well, judging from the admissions in this thread, perhaps they do. There's no substitute for good technique imho.

Peacekeeper6
05-15-2020, 07:20 PM
I’ve got some news for you, Peacekeeper..........I don’t even use a power driver to REMOVE the panel bolts, let alone tighten them, and I have still cross threaded a couple. I certainly don’t “jam the bolt in the hole and pull the trigger’, as per your rather significant assumption as to the cause of cross threading. I guess I’m just not as smart as you, eh? Oh well, I can live with that. :2thumbs:

Pete

Thank goodness you're not as smart as me. I can live with that too.

G'DAY MATE !!!!

PMK
05-15-2020, 08:11 PM
Yes, well, judging from the admissions in this thread, perhaps they do. There's no substitute for good technique imho.

Truism. This topic is like the horror movie of DIY Spyder maintenance and mods. Kind of scary.

wyliec
05-16-2020, 05:39 AM

The Mona Lisa (award) of How to Screw Instructions. Previously there was the Mona Lisa award for how to air your front tires for equal pressure, showing an in depth design for tubing and fittings required. I'd still give the tubing/fitting design 1st place, but you're a close 2nd.:thumbup::joke:

troop
05-16-2020, 08:06 AM
MONK,
1st off, I give you credit for airing out your 2nd snafu. 2ndly, I wouldn't attempt anymore fastener R&R until you get the first two corrected. Good luck :(

Border Rider
05-16-2020, 03:09 PM
I worked at a tap and die company for many years, seen a lot of stripped threads. The bolts that BRP uses on the handle bar mount have loc tite on them.
The bolts are junk and the heads are soft so they strip out easily. been there done that.

Peteoz
05-16-2020, 05:43 PM

Yeah, that was exactly my problem with the first Tupperware bolt I cross threaded, Pink. I thought the angle at which I was installing it was the correct angle.....turns out it wasn’t. :opps:

Pete

ChicagoSpyder
05-17-2020, 05:26 AM
This hangs over the door of my toy barn.

Mikey
05-17-2020, 06:23 AM
this hangs over the door of my toy barn.

i love it!!!

ThreeWheels
05-17-2020, 06:42 AM
Every time I see this thread at the top of the list, I keep thinking "How many bolts are left on the Spyder ?"

Mikey
05-17-2020, 07:11 AM
It could be the new tire thread!!:roflblack:

troop
05-17-2020, 08:20 AM
I worked at a tap and die company for many years, seen a lot of stripped threads. The bolts that BRP uses on the handle bar mount have loc tite on them.
The bolts are junk and the heads are soft so they strip out easily. been there done that.

BRP seems to use thread lock on all their bolts. Hell, they even use thread lock in the little machine screws that hold the cable guides on the the handlebars :(

SpyderJerry
05-17-2020, 08:47 AM
These are the type of easyouts to use with stripped out allen or torx head. https://www.amazon.com/Topec-10-Piece-Extractor-Multi-Spline-Removing/dp/B083DG2FNP/ref=sr_1_24?dchild=1&keywords=easyouts&qid=1589723098&sr=8-24
But, you must warm up the bolts some with a heat gun first to soften the locktite.