PDA

View Full Version : New and First Time Spyder Owner

mcutrell
05-12-2020, 03:51 PM
I picked up my first Spyder Saturday, a 2019 RT Limited. This is my first time on three wheels after 55 years of riding and racing bikes, including about 10-15 years as a mechanic and service manager in Honda and Suzuki shops in my younger years. So far loving the Spyder and look forward to learning more about it.

Mikey
05-12-2020, 03:52 PM
:congrats: You'll love it!!!

Haze
05-12-2020, 04:08 PM
Welcome to the site.
Lots of good information available from the folks...:)

pegasus1300
05-12-2020, 04:25 PM
:welcome: and :congrats: on the new:f_spider: post early and post often with :nopic:

CopperSpyder
05-12-2020, 05:21 PM
Welcome to the forum Mcutrell. :congrats: On the new 2019 Spyder RTL. Look around you will find lots of good information on the Spyder RTL in the different areas of the forum. Enjoy the Ride! :2thumbs:

VStarRider
05-12-2020, 05:25 PM
For new owners like myself and the OP, is there a part of the forum or site that is dedicated to introducing the Spyder to new riders? An FAQ?

Raprider
05-12-2020, 05:46 PM
For new owners like myself and the OP, is there a part of the forum or site that is dedicated to introducing the Spyder to new riders? An FAQ?

As a matter of fact...

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners

And welcome!

ARtraveler
05-12-2020, 06:16 PM
:welcome: and :congrats:

There is a good read for new Spyder owners.

See Rapriders post above.

tntnj
05-12-2020, 06:16 PM
Welcome to the best site for information for your RT (better information then your dealer)

Lew L
05-12-2020, 07:12 PM
Welcome---------- Let the farkeling begin!!

Lew L

pegasus1300
05-12-2020, 08:15 PM
Not sure about the new 2019 owner's manuals, but in 2012 there was a whole section on setting up a practice course for learning how to ride your Spyder. I used it and it helped a lot.

Little Blue
05-13-2020, 02:43 AM
:coffee: Welcome to the Spyder Forum. Post a photo of your Spyder.......:thumbup:

NEXUS
05-13-2020, 05:59 AM
I picked up my first Spyder Saturday, a 2019 RT Limited. This is my first time on three wheels after 55 years of riding and racing bikes, including about 10-15 years as a mechanic and service manager in Honda and Suzuki shops in my younger years. So far loving the Spyder and look forward to learning more about it.

Glad your aboard.:clap: You couldn't have come to a better place to find out about Spyders.
There is a wealth of knowledge here with great good people that will help you in your transition.
It was tough for me going from 2 to 3 in the beginning but I have no regrets.

triplethreat
05-13-2020, 07:57 AM

Welcome to the forum....I'm a fairly new member here myself. I noticed that you live in Southern IL. Just curious if you purchased from Holzhauer in Nashville, IL? I live in the Knoxville, TN area, but previously lived in IL for 52 years before moving here in 2006. I drove all the way from the Knoxville area to purchase my Spyder RTL from Holzhauer this past February then trailered it home....cold, wind, snow, etc. At the time, I was looking for a Phoenix Orange with the dark package and they were actually the closest dealer to have one...so I made the drive.

Yabbadabbadoo
05-13-2020, 08:16 AM
Not sure about the new 2019 owner's manuals, but in 2012 there was a whole section on setting up a practice course for learning how to ride your Spyder. I used it and it helped a lot.

I had never ridden one when I picked up my new 2020 F3. But I read the manual and it had the info about the practice course. I did it in the dealer's parking lot for 10 minutes or so before I drove it home.

bikerchris1270
05-13-2020, 08:24 AM
Welcome to the club, purchased my F3L last month....been busy accessorizing it while waiting for license plates to show up so as to be able to ride it.

carbonation
05-13-2020, 09:10 AM
Gentle at first. It will take a bit for muscle memory to fade after so many years of countersteering.
You'll get used to it, but it will take several times, and can be frustrating. I fought mine at first. If you've ever ridden 4 wheelers or snowmobiles, you'll get it sooner.
But, you'll catch it, and then really begin to enjoy it.
Road presence is very good... you are almost as wide as a Smart car, so IMO, you are seen more readily. Road crowns and heavily travelled "truck" streets can give handlebar wiggles, keep a light touch on the bars. Rain, for the most part, is a non stop event. Unless it's a deluge, there is a pocket of dry you are in when above 40, windshield all the way up. Tops of my boots get wet, gloves some. Grips get blazing hot, I've seen steam from gloves on chilly, wet days.
Go get some miles on it. The triple is pretty torquey down low, and settles in at 70 on the highway really well.
First oil change a bit early, I don't like CanAm recommendation for their long intervals, both first and subsequent changes.
You show Southern IL as a location, PM me if your definition of Southern is as north as Saint Louis. I got my 12, and my 19 at Teds.
Have fun, be safe.

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-13-2020, 09:29 AM
A word of caution! BRP screwed up the oil fill instructions in the 2019 user guide. See this post: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?130192-oil-capacity-1330&p=1506026&viewfull=1#post1506026

Read the entire thread. There's a lot of good info in it about checking oil level in the 1330 engine.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-13-2020, 09:54 AM
Hi and :welcome: .... I have almost the same history as you .... back in 09 I discovered the Spyder ( a GS ) and immed. sold my GW .... I didn't have many riding / handling issues as most when making this transition ..... my Dealer told me to ride it the same way I did for my car, I did and learned the best way to drive my Spyder within about 500 mi. .....read the " Do's & Dont's " thread .... Mike :thumbup:

Lehrman
05-13-2020, 10:08 AM
Welcome. I am new as well. Obtained my 2020 RTL late March. I have already observed many great people on the forum. I have learned a lot from reading their posts and look forward to many years of ownership. I hope you enjoy the Spyder and the forum as well. Stay safe.

d.o.spyder-rts
05-13-2020, 11:08 AM
:congrats: on your spyder purchase and :welcome: to the spyder web. Dale

gg194
05-13-2020, 12:36 PM
Welcome. Also been riding 50+ years. Had mine a couple of weeks now, there is a learning curve if you've been riding a while.

Big F
05-14-2020, 08:53 AM
welcome to the world of Spyderland... You just made one of the best riding investments of your life.. enjoy and ride safe...
BIG F