PDA

View Full Version : Love Bugs

bikerbillone
05-11-2020, 02:13 PM
Yuk, went for a ride Saturday on my 2020 RTL, el mucho love bugs, don't mind too much cleaning them off, but I find these critters on my air filters, that's not good. Thinking about putting a finer screen over the protector screens.

EdMat
05-11-2020, 02:31 PM
A few of them popped up in central Mississippi this weekend. Hopefully they won't stay long and they can go back in the ground.

Arion
05-11-2020, 04:13 PM
Used to hate those things while living in Tampa. Left alone they will eat the paint off some lesser quality vehicles, posthumously that is. It's if they weren't enough trouble while alive!

Mazo EMS2
05-11-2020, 04:24 PM
Yuk, went for a ride Saturday on my 2020 RTL, el mucho love bugs, don't mind too much cleaning them off, but I find these critters on my air filters, that's not good. Thinking about putting a finer screen over the protector screens.

Just be careful not to restrict airflow too much....nothin worse than a front end full of bug guts

gg194
05-11-2020, 04:29 PM
Know what you mean. Cleaned the front of the Spyder yesterday an washed the car. So bad here can't hardly get inside without them coming with you. Planning to head up the road Saturday and I don't ever remember seeing them up there. Got them riding up to Lakeland a couple of days ago.

Gwolf
05-11-2020, 05:30 PM
Every year, they come in late spring, they gone for a while, then they come back in the fall. I don't think they have much of a life Never seen them do but one thing.

trikermutha
05-11-2020, 05:35 PM
I wish I could ride. The weather stinks around here. Looking forward to some bug splatters.:shocked:

shakin_jake
05-12-2020, 04:58 AM
wikipedia has some good information on love bugs, especially the folklore=:-)

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-12-2020, 08:37 AM
My most vivid memory of love bugs from when I lived in Louisiana was traveling on I-12 heading to Baton Rouge. I was behind a box delivery truck. Ahead was a huge swarm of love bugs. After the truck went through the cloud of bugs there was a clear square hole in the cloud that the truck punched out! :roflblack:

Greven
05-12-2020, 08:54 AM
Reading about them, I am happy to live in a place that is love bug free. Clouds of nasty insects that explode in corrosive acid upon impact, ouch!

EWWW!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB8ns7gGFJs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xpEnQ8FiWY

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-12-2020, 09:54 AM
Reading about them, I am happy to live in a place that is love bug free. Clouds of nasty insects that explode in corrosive acid upon impact, ouch!

EWWW!
Do you have to use windshield wipers during the summertime infestation of mosquitoes to keep your windshield clean like your neighbors, the Finns, do? :gaah:

Lew L
05-12-2020, 09:59 AM
Reminds me of the scene in " Gumball Rally" where motorcyclist ( Lapchik -- the mad Hungarian ) is covered in yellow flying bugs,

Greven
05-12-2020, 01:00 PM
Do you have to use windshield wipers during the summertime infestation of mosquitoes to keep your windshield clean like your neighbors, the Finns, do? :gaah:

That sounds pretty horrible aswell! :O
No extreme bug issues where I live thankfully, but we had snow just a week ago, so I guess the lack of bugs is balanced by the extremely short bike-season :)

ARtraveler
05-12-2020, 01:30 PM
For your listening pleasure:

https://youtu.be/HFZPfFZbq-s?t=4