PDA

View Full Version : Recall attempted - Dead Spyder!

CVRyder
08-04-2009, 11:26 PM
I am a new Spyder owner (July) and just completed my 600 break-in miles last week. The Spyder ran perfect and I took it to my dealer for the 600 mile service. The did the service but ran into trouble when trying to install the updated software. Since this was their first attempt at installing the recall software they called BRP for assistance. BRP offered numerous suggestions as to what might be the trouble, but nothing helped. Finally, after four days of this the dealer called and told me to pick up the Spyder and bring it back when they had resolved their problems with the update.
However, when I went to pick it up, it wouldn't start. The dealer tells me they've just discovered the Spyders ECM will not let them access it with their computer to trouble shoot it. So, the dealer contacts BRP again.
More discussions, more suggestions, no success. So now BRP says they will send a new ECM, complete with the updated software to the dealer to install on the Spyder. This sounds like a good solution to me -depending on how long it takes them to get the new ECM to my dealer.
Anyone else having this much trouble with this update or am I the only one? Any guesses on how long it could take for the ECM to show up?

krb1945
08-05-2009, 12:24 AM
ECM will be be sent over night to your dealer. But now you should keep in mind they will pull a new one off the shelf test and make sure the program has the latest updates, then off to shipping for packing and shipment.

I would imagine your dealer will have it within 48 to 72 hours. Please let us all know how long it actually takes though.

Don in E Texas
08-05-2009, 07:44 AM
Maybe I'm all wet in my thinking ---- shouldn't the dealers be installing this software patch on their OWN bikes prior to doing a customer bike? Geesh -

don

aerialdall
08-05-2009, 08:07 AM
Something similar happened when the dealer installed the new software on my Spyder. They installed the 3.1 software after which my Spyder would not start. They said this was the software that needed to be used according to their instructions. After trying to call BRP (appartently they are not open on Saturdays :dontknow:) the techs put their heads together & they decided to try uninstalling this software & reinstalling the 3.2 & then all was good.
Not sure this relates in any way to your situation but thought I would share.
They also did the ground strap fix & it went without any problems. :clap:

Deb

vendit
08-05-2009, 08:14 AM
I took mine in yesterday for the steering update. After they worked on it for an hour, the service manager came out and told me that they were having trouble with the new software loading, and that they thought maybe it was corrupt. They were calling BRP to see what to do. About 20 min later he came back out and said my bike was ready to go. I put about 120 miles on yesterday afternoon, and all went fine. Sounds like these techs need a bit more training from BRP on just how to do this. I think part of the problem is the fact that they have to download a big patch from the internet as opposed to maybe having the new software on a pc. Just my thoughts!

BajaRon
08-05-2009, 11:18 AM
This has got to be a proceedure issue. Either the instructions for the update are not clear enough or not accurate.

Or, the people doing the install do what a lot of mechanics do. They do the install like they do it on other ECM's rather than go step-by-step according to the instructions specific to the Spyder.

They don't look at the instructions until they run into problems.

This is unfortunate, but not uncommon. When I had work done on my Spyder the dealership tried to access the BUDS with a unit they had for other Can Am products. When that unit could not access some components that needed to be updated they told me my ECM was bad.

When they had other issues with my warranty repair they finally called BRP. While they were on the line for those issues they asked about the BUDS problem. That is when they realized that they had to use the Spyder Specific unit and the unit they were using was not designed to do the job.

Issue resolved.

CheeseCake
08-05-2009, 11:24 AM
I'm going to wait to do my update until my dealer has a few under his belt....
and I hear that they have patched the patch!!

Firefly
08-05-2009, 11:29 AM
I'm going to wait to do my update until my dealer has a few under his belt....
and I hear that they have patched the patch!!

I would not wait. It appears the few that have had 'issues' after the updates were also having some other work done at the same time. I've also noticed that some of those having 'issues' after the update, as well as some that are claiming there are recalls about the grounding/fires/etc. are new members that have only a few posts under their belt - which may show them to be a new owner that is not quite 'up' on what is really going on with Spyder service work.

BajaRon
08-05-2009, 12:05 PM
I would not wait. It appears the few that have had 'issues' after the updates were also having some other work done at the same time. I've also noticed that some of those having 'issues' after the update, as well as some that are claiming there are recalls about the grounding/fires/etc. are new members that have only a few posts under their belt - which may show them to be a new owner that is not quite 'up' on what is really going on with Spyder service work.

I agree, I wouldn't wait!

Afterall, I don't want to have to wait too long and you need to get yours done right away so they know what they're doing when I take mine in! :roflblack::roflblack:

But seriously. I think most dealers are doing much better with the Spyder now than they were just a few months ago. They have been "Bitten", so to speak, by the fact that we have a one of a kind vehicle. And they don't want to get bitten again.

If I had the time I'd take mine in right away. I have much more confidence in my dealer because they have learned well from previous issues.

aerialdall
08-05-2009, 12:56 PM
So are you saying the few of us "New" members that have posted about what has happened to us don't have a clue what we are talking about? So what exactly is "UP" with what's really going on?

ElkSpyder
08-05-2009, 01:00 PM
I agree, I wouldn't wait!

After all, I don't want to have to wait too long and you need to get yours done right away so they know what they're doing when I take mine in! :roflblack::roflblack:

But seriously. I think most dealers are doing much better with the Spyder now than they were just a few months ago. They have been "Bitten", so to speak, by the fact that we have a one of a kind vehicle. And they don't want to get bitten again.

If I had the time I'd take mine in right away. I have much more confidence in my dealer because they have learned well from previous issues.

:agree: Don't wait get this done soon. I had mine done last Saturday and while I never had any steering issues I'm glad that :spyder2: is up to date via the software version. I'm actually seeing a little better mpg since Saturday.

patches
08-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Don't think that is what he meant but you are correct, the number of post and actual sign up to these forums does not or ever should relate to ones knowledge of the equiptment. Noone should ever assume someone's knowledge based on thier paticpation on an online forum.

Firefly
08-05-2009, 01:36 PM
So are you saying the few of us "New" members that have posted about what has happened to us don't have a clue what we are talking about? So what exactly is "UP" with what's really going on?

Well - what I meant -- with all due respect --- is that if a person is a new Spyder owner with only a few hundred miles on their bike - and they have not spent much time on this forum - there is a good chance they *may* not be as knowledgeable as others with tens of thousands of miles - that have been online and are more aware of certain issues and fixes.

There have been some recent threads that are just way off base - "Do not ride - recall" is a prime example.

No offense intended---- :ohyea:

Smylinacha
08-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Well - what I meant -- with all due respect --- is that if a person is a new Spyder owner with only a few hundred miles on their bike - and they have not spent much time on this forum - there is a good chance they *may* not be as knowledgeable as others with tens of thousands of miles - that have been online and are more aware of certain issues and fixes.

There have been some recent threads that are just way off base - "Do not ride - recall" is a prime example.

No offense intended---- :ohyea:

Maybe they are Trirod spies!:2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

CVRyder
08-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Ok, so the new ECM arrives at the dealership in 48 hours - not too bad.
Apparently the ECM is located in a hard-to-get-to-place since it took the tech most of the afternoon to install it and run whatever software they run on a new ECM to confirm all is well. The new ECM came with the updated software already installed on it - :2thumbs:!!! All went well with the install and the checkout and I got the Spyder back today. It runs great - just like it did when I took it in for the service. I would say the steering takes less effort at slow speeds, but I'd only had it for a short time before the service, and then I've been without it for ten days so I may not be a very good judge.

So today I put 100 miles on it and all seems perfectly normal. I then installed the Hindle and took it out again. Obviously the sound is much better, and the engine seems to rev a little more free. So far I haven't noticed any adverse effects from the muffler change - no backfiring, no surgeing or anything else appears abnormal. So basically, after being wound up tight during this whole experience, I am once again a happy Spyder owner. The dealer, however, is not so happy. They have yet to successfully install the updated software on a machine. :mad:

WaltH
08-08-2009, 12:08 AM
The dealer, however, is not so happy. They have yet to successfully install the updated software on a machine. :mad:[/quote]

Getting a new ECM with the new software pre-installed may not be the whole answer to your problem. The recall entails updating the software in the ECM, but it also includes updating the software in the DPS and the Cluster. Are you sure the dealer was able to do updates for the DPS and the Cluster? These are listed as separate operations on my work order.

CVRyder
08-08-2009, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the info, Spyder1026. I'll check this out and make sure.