PDA

View Full Version : Which section of road do you usually ride your Spyder ??

Peacekeeper6
05-11-2020, 01:29 PM
Just got our RT-L last September and am trying to figure out where exactly is the best section of road to ryde on that decreases incidence of getting a flat tire.

Here's what I do: On a two-lane road, I'm usually on the right (slow) lane. However, I tend to let the center of the road go under my left foot. My reasoning for doing this is that I believe that is where a lot of road debris tend to accumulate. Also, if I happen to jam on the binders, all 3 wheels will have the most traction available, since oil tends to settle in the middle of the road as well. It also helps that if a car on the left decides to cut me off (blind spot), I have some cushion to react.

RICZ
05-11-2020, 02:09 PM
I was taught it's best to ride to the left of your lane so that your lights are seen in both the rear view and side view mirrors of vehicles ahead. When there is no traffic ahead of me, I am all over the lane. On curvy roads, I'm picking off apexes.

PMK
05-11-2020, 02:12 PM
Kind of an intricate question to answer. Your own post has many reasons of its own.

For us, #1 priority, assuming forward visibility around another vehicle or vehicles is good, I try and find the sweet spot of the roads crown in conjunction with worn in rutts. Simply prefer to have the Spyder neutral in steering effort to hold a line.

#2 is avoiding the slippery groove if possible.

The honest answer in my opinion, to your poll is it just depends on the road and conditions at the moment.

I am careful to keep a reasonable distance to those in front of us since the Spyder is not the shortest vehicle in stopping distance and gets squirmy under hard braking as the front wheels toe out. At night even worse as the lights drop and decrease forward visibility.

So, it just depends, easier to adapt constantly.

ARtraveler
05-11-2020, 03:25 PM
For me, it varies with the condition of the road and the proximity of the road kills. We try to avoid them. Saw three road killed armadillos yesterday within a one mile stretch, and a dead vulture who probably got hit by an oncoming car also laying next to one.

And yes, we apex the curves on the twisties.

Mazo EMS2
05-11-2020, 04:27 PM
Here in WI we ride where the potholes haven't opened up just yet......near the center line for better visibility for all traffic

JayBros
05-11-2020, 05:16 PM
Situational awareness and road strategy vary with every road I ride, every time I ride.

Purple Guy
05-11-2020, 05:51 PM
If I'm riding alone I'm in the middle.
If I'm riding with 2 wheelers I take the appropriate staggered lane position

Revalden
05-11-2020, 10:34 PM
I like to keep the center line under my left wheel on the left twisties and hang to the right on right twisties, but usually all over my lane. The only time I drive the twisties at or under the posted speed limit is when there's a Cruiser or cage I haven't been able to pass before the Twistie, or if I'm riding with the old folks club.

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-11-2020, 11:35 PM
Saw three road killed armadillos yesterday within a one mile stretch, and a dead vulture who probably got hit by an oncoming car also laying next to one.
Why did the chicken cross the road? To prove to the armadillo that it can be done! Sorry, (not) for the momentary hijack!

pegasus1300
05-11-2020, 11:47 PM
You need a 4th option "all of the above". When on my own I don't worry too much about lane position. When with a group of two wheelers I ride the middle and don't stagger. They can stagger in front and re stagger behind me.

Lew L
05-12-2020, 10:07 AM
Sarcasm alert-----------

I ryde where all three wheels touch the road ( most of the time). When on the V-Max---- I'm fly'ng low.:joke:

ARtraveler
05-12-2020, 10:32 AM
I like to keep the center line under my left wheel on the left twisties and hang to the right on right twisties, but usually all over my lane. The only time I drive the twisties at or under the posted speed limit is when there's a Cruiser or cage I haven't been able to pass before the Twistie, or if I'm riding with the old folks club.

Yes on the twisties. I am very comfortable with posted plus 10 on most of the twisties. I have found a couple sets marked 15 mph and 10 mph that really mean it though. :bowdown:

fjray
05-12-2020, 11:16 AM
The roads around here are so rutted from chains,studs and heavy trucks in the winter It is a challenge at times just to keep it between the lines. When I had the Spyder I just let it wander within reason. With the wing it's a bit easier to keep a line and its usually left.

AeroPilot
05-12-2020, 11:39 AM
When I'm by myself, I'm wherever the road is smoothest and fitting the line through the curves. When leading ahead of my wife or others, I usually favor the right side of the lane so the spyder behind can see past me for oncoming traffic and hazards, and so that cars that may be wanting to turn left can see the bike behind me and wait 'til clear.

Plus by being offset, our lights and width present a larger and wider appearance to side roads or approaching traffic. The worst in my opinion is to trail directly behind the rider in front of you...

gg194
05-12-2020, 04:29 PM
Since I've only had mine a couple of weeks still trying to stay on my side of the road.

Revalden
05-13-2020, 01:50 AM
Yes on the twisties. I am very comfortable with posted plus 10 on most of the twisties. I have found a couple sets marked 15 mph and 10 mph that really mean it though. :bowdown:

Try to find AR185.Take the TWISTIES WIDE Up top in the gift shop(might be open only on weekends these days) you hafta buy the sticker/patch "I Survived 185".

Revalden
05-13-2020, 02:03 AM
Why did the chicken cross the road? To prove to the armadillo that it can be done! Sorry, (not) for the momentary hijack!

Around here, "It' to show the possum that it can be done"

Bfromla
05-13-2020, 04:12 AM
:lecturef_smilie: wherever the holes are not:roflblack::roflblack: do hug the left line when in town (especially on two wheels),
hopefully helps be seen as people exit parking lots or whatever leads them to my lane:coffee: Interstate however usually dead center. Dodging holes & road kill as always nojoke
Thanks to all local roadworks it's all Zig ~ Zag~*SWERVE currently.

JCWeatherman
05-13-2020, 11:36 AM
Dodging buggies and horse poop is a hazard in Lancaster County, PA. Motorcycles are often seen swerving to avoid these common obstacles.

Gwolf
05-13-2020, 12:08 PM
I try to ride on the part of the road that no other vehicles or critters are currently using.

ARtraveler
05-13-2020, 12:10 PM
Try to find AR185.Take the TWISTIES WIDE Up top in the gift shop(might be open only on weekends these days) you hafta buy the sticker/patch "I Survived 185".

How about a clue? the AR MC ride guide is not giving it up??? A computer search turned up the highway# but no information. The town of Lexa is mentioned but no maps show 185??

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-13-2020, 02:19 PM
How about a clue? the AR MC ride guide is not giving it up??? A computer search turned up the highwayt # but no information. The town of Lexa is mentioned but no maps show 185??

Try google maps ..... I often use that to determine how Twisty a particular road is ..... I found Highway " H " in lower Mo. near Branson using this method .... It's the best Twistie's I have ever been on in MO. ( and that's quite a few roads ) .....PS it's an off-shoot of Rt. 125 that's a popular way to get to Peel's Ferry ...... which connects to Arkansas ...... Mike :thumbup:

ARtraveler
05-13-2020, 06:10 PM
Try google maps ..... I often use that to determine how Twisty a particular road is ..... I found Highway " H " in lower Mo. near Branson using this method .... It's the best Twistie's I have ever been on in MO. ( and that's quite a few roads ) .....PS it's an off-shoot of Rt. 125 that's a popular way to get to Peel's Ferry ...... which connects to Arkansas ...... Mike :thumbup:

I am familiar with #125. Was on it today. :bowdown:

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-13-2020, 06:32 PM
I am familiar with #125. Was on it today. :bowdown:

Great :yes: ..... Google map Peel's Ferry Rt125 ..... follow it north to the Mark Twain forest ..... " H " goes thru the forest ... it's paved and Extremely twistie ..... good luck .... Mike ...........PS how far are you from Peel's Ferry ???? .....:thumbup:

Catalyst105
05-13-2020, 08:21 PM
I adjust my position as needed. To the left of the lane with oncoming traffic to be seen. When going in the same direction as traffic with multiple lanes, I ride to the side of the lane as the vehicle as I am passing or closest to so they can see you in their mirrors.

ARtraveler
05-14-2020, 09:36 AM
Great :yes: ..... Google map Peel's Ferry Rt125 ..... follow it north to the Mark Twain forest ..... " H " goes thru the forest ... it's paved and Extremely twistie ..... good luck .... Mike ...........PS how far are you from Peel's Ferry ???? .....:thumbup:

Forty to fifty miles.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-14-2020, 10:25 AM
Forty to fifty miles.

Too bad it isn't closer, it leads to a lot of great roads in southern Mo., but Arkansas has plenty of their own :yes: ..... :thumbup.............Mike

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-14-2020, 11:16 AM
Too bad it isn't closer, it leads to a lot of great roads in southern Mo., but Arkansas has plenty of their own :yes: ..... :thumbup.............Mike
Yep. Arkansas roads are a roller coaster ride! Up the hill, down the hill, up the hill, down the hill, up........!!!!!!! :thumbup:

jerrydonna
05-14-2020, 11:27 AM
Im all over the lane also, I want to sit close to the left more often than not when in traffic but we have some three lane interstates and I find if am riding to the right I drive left, more often I dive in the middle lane and than I find myself wondering the lane, I drive the same way on two or three wheels.

Deanna777
05-14-2020, 06:47 PM
I ride 1-2 feet away left of the center line.

If I am behind a tractor trailer I ride far enough back so i can see the driver in his/or her left mirror( i usually see the driver look in his/or her left mirror so he/or she knows that I am back there).

Deanna

LongIsland
05-15-2020, 08:38 AM
I tend to ride left of center for visibility. As everyone has stated you have to move left, right or center due to road conditions. Every so often I will move left to right (swerving easily) so drivers are aware of my presence. I'm sure they think I am goofing around but I did wake them up to see me.