PDA

View Full Version : Well it happened to me now - 2009 SE5 stuck in 1st gear

Fun2
08-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Coming home from the dentist (really dislike paying for pain), stopped at a red light just before getting on the interstate. Pulled out from light and it would not shift to 2d gear, pulled over to the side of the road and would not shift to neutral, Hmm. Shut it off and restarted thinking that it may go into neutral when it started back up, no such luck. Rode approx. 1/4 mile to a used car lot, pulled left side cover so that I could see better, reached down to check shifter burnt my arm on exhaust ( yea now that was dumb). Reached up from the bottom and moved shifter and it went into neutral. Rode up and down through the car lot shifter worked fine, took a 4o mile ride and every thing worked ok. :dontknow: :banghead: :gaah:
Taking both spyders in Monday for the steering up grade.

Rando
08-05-2009, 05:49 AM
Have them install the new ground wires. There is a recall on SE'5's for that.

3wheeldemon
08-05-2009, 07:40 AM
But the wires for the upgrade are in backorder....:banghead:

I have to take my Spyder back from the dealer without service, recall or coil ground wire upgrade because "parts are in backorder" and "Spyders are selling like hotcakes and BRP is giving priority to manufacture over supply of parts and spares"...

Looking as the glass half full and not half empty is good that our Spyders are becoming mainstream and BRP is doing well, so they will be there for us in the future. But I think they should strive for the right balance between getting new customers and keeping the ones they got...:spyder:

3WD

GaryTheBadger
08-05-2009, 07:58 AM
The "wires on backorder" deal is bogus...any competent BRP service center can make them in five minutes. I confirmed with the Little Rock, AR dealer (lots of Spyder experience) that owners making & installing their own wires will NOT void the warranty. If owners can make the wires and not void the warranty, then BRP service centers should be able to also. This would go a long way towards enhancing customer satisfaction. This is a documented known bug with a simple fix.

If I had the time, I'd make a batch and put 'em on eBay at my cost with an overnight shipping option.

slather1
08-05-2009, 08:46 AM
Absoltely. Had my SE5 recall updates done last Friday. Mechanic did both recalls. Nothing technical about a ground wire except where it connects.

ptoemmes
08-05-2009, 08:50 AM
But the wires for the upgrade are in backorder....:banghead:

I have to take my Spyder back from the dealer without service, recall or coil ground wire upgrade because "parts are in backorder" and "Spyders are selling like hotcakes and BRP is giving priority to manufacture over supply of parts and spares"...

Looking as the glass half full and not half empty is good that our Spyders are becoming mainstream and BRP is doing well, so they will be there for us in the future. But I think they should strive for the right balance between getting new customers and keeping the ones they got...:spyder:

3WD

Where have all the mechanics gone. It's okay to be a tech but puleeze retain - or get - some mechanic's skills. Wire, connectors, stripper-crimper, soldering iron... :gaah:

NancysToy
08-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Where have all the mechanics gone. It's okay to be a tech but puleeze retain - or get - some mechanic's skills. Wire, connectors, stripper-crimper, soldering iron... :gaah:
:thumbup: In your dreams, I'm afraid. Diplomas, training, and computer diagnostics have their place, but they seem to have supplanted andtucally using your brain cells and twisting wrenches these days. More's the pity.........

CheeseCake
08-05-2009, 11:33 AM
I wonder how long they have know about this issue?
my 09 was manufactured in Feb. and did not have the ground wires...

I did it myself with stuff I already had in the Garage... took me about an hour...

krb1945
08-05-2009, 01:47 PM
have you already added additional the coil ground?
If you haven't you might want to check out this thread and the picture of the additional ground Lamonster posted.:thumbup: She is not having any problems with her SE5 but I added the ground anyway. For a secure ground to the coils which affects the shifting.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12955&highlight=recall+coil+ground

blackout
08-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Coming home from the dentist (really dislike paying for pain), stopped at a red light just before getting on the interstate. Pulled out from light and it would not shift to 2d gear, pulled over to the side of the road and would not shift to neutral, Hmm. Shut it off and restarted thinking that it may go into neutral when it started back up, no such luck. Rode approx. 1/4 mile to a used car lot, pulled left side cover so that I could see better, reached down to check shifter burnt my arm on exhaust ( yea now that was dumb). Reached up from the bottom and moved shifter and it went into neutral. Rode up and down through the car lot shifter worked fine, took a 4o mile ride and every thing worked ok. :dontknow: :banghead: :gaah:
Taking both spyders in Monday for the steering up grade.

same thing happened to me. riding spyder and it got stuck in fifth gear. riding down road and the road and started to gear down and guess what wouldn't shift!!!!!! long story short took it in to dealership and they tried not to pay they said the only way this is happening is because i was stading on gear shift. i told them they were crazy i baby this this thing. well they said the gear shifter was bent and they were going to pay but if it happened again they wouldn't . i told them they have a issue they don't want to fix. you know the lemon laws. my bike had been in shop 3 weeks and counting. AW, called today and my part is on back order until sept 1 2009. unbelieveable......:cus::cus:

Fun2
08-12-2009, 08:49 PM
On the trip from the dealers to home both Spyders locked in gear. One in 5th and the other in Reverse when I was turning around to see where she got to. Started them several times and finally a a couple of min. later they went into N. Got home and the one that was stuck in reverse now got stuck in 2d. Dealer is going to call when ground wires come in they are on back order:dontknow: :banghead:.
At least I didn't burn my arm this time.:2thumbs:

Dudley
08-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Ok, here is my take on "backorders". I talked to the dealer in Massachusetts that installed my new OEM rear tire. He says he seldom to never gets a backorder. So, I think, as I have posted before, that's mostly dealer bogas talk. I think we need to demand the copy of the backorder when we are told that a part is backordered. After all, it is our Spyder, and our part that is not available. That same dealer said that most often, he has his parts shipped in less than 2 days. He has been in business as a BRP dealer for over 20 years and took on the Spyder early-on.
And a "wire" to connect to ground is on "back order"? Get a copper wire, crimp 2 connecting ends to them and install. This isn't a critical item needed on a space shuttle!

Roaddog2
08-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Ok, here is my take on "backorders". I talked to the dealer in Massachusetts that installed my new OEM rear tire. He says he seldom to never gets a backorder. So, I think, as I have posted before, that's mostly dealer bogas talk. I think we need to demand the copy of the backorder when we are told that a part is backordered. After all, it is our Spyder, and our part that is not available. That same dealer said that most often, he has his parts shipped in less than 2 days. He has been in business as a BRP dealer for over 20 years and took on the Spyder early-on.
And a "wire" to connect to ground is on "back order"? Get a copper wire, crimp 2 connecting ends to them and install. This isn't a critical item needed on a space shuttle!:agree::ani29:

Some Guy
08-12-2009, 10:38 PM
We can all buy the "trunk popper" kit on e-bay for $19.99 (which we can do ourselves for $1.00 or less)...so, we all know someone is going to make this ground wire "kit" and sell it for ??? (which you can bet is WAY too much!) :gaah:

Fun2
08-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Haven't been stuck in gear since they were done. Oh yea, on a funny note we did get stuck in a thunder storm riding home double on the one and left the other one to get the ground upgrade done? Guess which one has my rain suit in? 5 miles to home - soaked to the bone.
:2thumbs::spyder::spyder: Yea both of them, like having twins.

Another happy Spyder owner.