PDA

View Full Version : Is the rear shock bolt a safe jacking point ??

Peacekeeper6
05-07-2020, 02:44 PM
Thanks in advance.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-07-2020, 02:49 PM
Thanks in advance.

I don't use it ..... although the bolt should be able to handle to load , if it doesn't you will have a problem .... I use the thick metal TABS that the bolt goes through ..... it's more stable because of the spread of the tabs ..... good luck .... Mike :thumbup: .....

PinkRosePetal
05-07-2020, 04:15 PM
Thanks in advance.

Yes, it's more than capable of carrying the load. When the Spyder is on its wheels the bolt is loaded considerably greater than when using it as a jacking point.

Woodaddict
05-07-2020, 04:47 PM
I put a soft white pine board across those tabs and jack

safecracker
05-07-2020, 05:56 PM
I use it all the time. I have removed shock bolt many times. It is still straight as the day it was put in. The only time i do jot use the bolt as a lifting point is when i have to remove rear tire.

spyder01
05-07-2020, 07:20 PM
I use the bolt all the time even for pulling the rear tire.Not sure why guys say pull bolt and drop swingarm down for clearance.I jacked bike up on the shock bolt,dropped tire out no problem and I even have a mudflap to clear as well.Was able to walk belt of easily and walk it back on.

cptjam
05-08-2020, 01:07 AM
I use it all the time. Never an issue.

Navydad
05-08-2020, 12:44 PM
I use the bolt all the time even for pulling the rear tire.Not sure why guys say pull bolt and drop swingarm down for clearance.I jacked bike up on the shock bolt,dropped tire out no problem and I even have a mudflap to clear as well.Was able to walk belt of easily and walk it back on.

:agree:

Jetfixer
05-18-2020, 06:15 AM
I'll take the side of the service manual. It says to lift by the frame only, never jack under the shock bolt.

Freddy
05-18-2020, 07:00 AM
Yes, most/some of us have read that. It's curious really when you think of the absolute flogging the 2 thin side brackets get during riding. I expected the lower shock mount to break away with the first year, but it hasn't yet. So I started to use the lower shock mount as the jacking point when removing the wheel for tyre changes and it's still all good after 11 years of abuse.

PMK
05-18-2020, 07:13 AM
When you consider that every rear suspension movement load is transferred into the lower shock bolt, those forces are far greater than raising the wheel off the ground.

At rest the static load is there. When fully loaded with rider, passenger and rear compartments filled, the static load increases substantially. When moving, the dynamic loads of compressing the suspension or worse case bottoming out, increase the load on the bolt further.

At a guess, the manual does not authorize the the lower shock attachment as a lifting point for fear of placing side loads into the lightly constructed shock mounts welded to the swingarm.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-18-2020, 07:33 AM
When you consider that every rear suspension movement load is transferred into the lower shock bolt, those forces are far greater than raising the wheel off the ground.

At rest the static load is there. When fully loaded with rider, passenger and rear compartments filled, the static load increases substantially. When moving, the dynamic loads of compressing the suspension or worse case bottoming out, increase the load on the bolt further.

At a guess, the manual does not authorize the the lower shock attachment as a lifting point for fear of placing side loads into the lightly constructed shock mounts welded to the swingarm.

As I stated above ... :agree: .... plus if you want to RE-MOVE that bolt for Easier rear tire removal - I don't think you could get the Bolt out ..... there would be too much pressure on it .... and you could not get it back ...... Good Luck ..... Mike :thumbup: