PDA

View Full Version : another fried spyder!!!!!!!!!!!

bun-1
08-04-2009, 01:26 PM
okay here's the deal.... i take the spyder in for the recall this morning tech downloads the software and returns it to me. I jump on the sucker and pull off. About a half block up the road i see smoke coming from under the handle bars, so i turn around and return to the dealer. when i get off the bike and look i see flames. So i run inside to get a fire extinguisher and put the fire out. Bike's not a total lost but heart broken. For those who have encountered this problem how long did it take BRP to fix the bike? Got an event i was suppose to attend thursday.

so my question is: is there anything in the software patch that would have caused this?

if you are wondering 2009 se with 1700 miles, only upgrades are two brothers dual exhaust and aftermarket can-am wheels...

:gaah:

DynamoBT
08-04-2009, 01:30 PM
How many bars on the temp gauge when this happened? If it had sat at the dealer during the recall update and you had only gone a block down the road, it couldn't have been very hot!!

What did your dealer say?

fastfraser
08-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Thats all you had done ,the steering recall ? Man i would tell them keep the :spyder2: and give me a new one. They will have it for weeks if you are lucky most likely months!!:gaah::gaah:

Dragonrider
08-04-2009, 02:03 PM
:agree: Check your Lemon Law FIRST -then go for the gusto.

Firefly
08-04-2009, 02:09 PM
This is happening too much. The quicker one gets a fire put out- the better chance we have of finding out what the cause is. Problem is we could be dealing with multiple causes.

Please take photos and file a report with the NHTSA.

Smylinacha
08-04-2009, 02:09 PM
:gaah: I am so sorry! I wish they'd find the cause to this. And to think you weren't far from the dealer at all - you just left so I agree w/ Dynamo - it couldn't have been that hot?!

bun-1
08-04-2009, 02:11 PM
they just said they were going to keep her and contact brp......

Smylinacha
08-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Let's hope BRP doesn't take their sweet time and come up with lame excuses

Don in E Texas
08-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss........... - real bummer :mad:....... I take our :spyder2: in for the steering recall Thursday.. '08 SE5 model - 4500 miles with no issues. I hope I don't have to call my wife to come and get me........one fire is too much; how many have we had now and no comments from the manufacturer (that I know of).

don

Smylinacha
08-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Well you know how that brp site has "Question of the week?" Well maybe we can ALL submit the same question - "Why are Spyders catching on fire?" And see if they make any attempt to acknowledge the question.

Firefly
08-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Well you know how that brp site has "Question of the week?" Well maybe we can ALL submit the same question - "Why are Spyders catching on fire?" And see if they make any attempt to acknowledge the question.

I like the way you think----- I'm in--- will go ask it soon!

Smylinacha
08-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Their website is screwy for me at work - with their "Flash" I can't seem to get in from here but I will most certainly pose the question tonight when I get home.

SpyderGirl
08-04-2009, 03:04 PM
I seriously think it is time that BRP addressed this "issue". We have heard of at least 5 or 6 just on the forums... but I wonder how many more have happened to people who are not on the forums. That's scary!

Glad to hear you are okay!

Firefly
08-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Their website is screwy for me at work - with their "Flash" I can't seem to get in from here but I will most certainly pose the question tonight when I get home.

Yeah - I hate their website--- terrible-- all flash crap--- not easy to navigate and find older articles, etc.

On a scale of 1-10 --- I give the BRP Spyder website a solid 1 .

DynamoBT
08-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Never noticed that we could ask a question. :hun: I'll have to go look at it now. For a couple of weeks the photos section will not load. Others have this problem?

Edit to add: Just now went to the BRP website. Even on the "Contact Us" page there is no place to ask a question online. Doesn't make a difference if you are logged in or not.

Suggestions of what to do now?

patches
08-04-2009, 03:42 PM
I agree, the more and more this happens, gets a bit concerning. Maybe it is playing the odds..didn't hear of this ever happening until the past 6 months but now there are more on the road and it is summer so who knows. Last summer, not one report but as someone said, could be because they are not on the forums.
Something is up, getting the software update, I think is just coincidence but man, that timing is just close.
Thankfully you are OK..and nothing is hurt but your poor spyder. If I were in your shoes, I would not have left the dealership without spyder in my hands, I don't care who they have to call. I would take the demo for a month until they get it fixed. I am sure it is not the dealers fault but just adds a bit of pressure. It takes weeks sometimes to get parts, not sure how long it will take to get a burnt spyder if they are able to fix it at all. Not sure I would want it back.
I feel for ya brother..hope all turns out well. Let us know of any findings.

Smylinacha
08-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Yeah - I hate their website--- terrible-- all flash crap--- not easy to navigate and find older articles, etc.

On a scale of 1-10 --- I give the BRP Spyder website a solid 1 .

Yup their website sucks for sure!

Smylinacha
08-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Never noticed that we could ask a question. :hun: I'll have to go look at it now. For a couple of weeks the photos section will not load. Others have this problem?

Edit to add: Just now went to the BRP website. Even on the "Contact Us" page there is no place to ask a question online. Doesn't make a difference if you are logged in or not.

Suggestions of what to do now?

There is a place and I'll find it once I get home. Or we can just shoot them a ton of emails under Contact Us but I know there is a place somewhere because they post the Question of the Week under "News" or something like that. It's a very hard site to navigate.

Firefly
08-04-2009, 03:59 PM
There is a place and I'll find it once I get home. Or we can just shoot them a ton of emails under Contact Us but I know there is a place somewhere because they post the Question of the Week under "News" or something like that. It's a very hard site to navigate.

How about posting some of the burnt pics?

hondaman
08-04-2009, 04:38 PM
For the spyders that have burnt,Did brp pay for the damages?Or did they make you file it under your insurance?:dontknow:
I dont think this should be an insurance thing,all spyders are still under the 2 yr warr.IMO I think brp should cover it!If they had to pay out they would find the answer!

xraypat
08-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Only being a recent :spyder2: owner I am curious about the recent
recall for the steering- Were there a few incidents like these fires
or did BRP figure it out themselves?

jeff0110
08-04-2009, 05:20 PM
I sent the below email to BRP.

----- Original Message ----- From: Jeff Kasubaski (jeff0110@charter.net)
To: SpyderTeam@brp.com (SpyderTeam@brp.com)
Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 5:17 PM
Subject: Spyder Fires

Hello,

I have been reading about Spyders catching on fire. I was just wondering what BRP is doing to address this major issue! I keep thinking someday my Spyder will burn up in a fire!

Your prompt response is appreciated. It would be nice if you would address this question on your website as a Question of the week.

Sincerely,

Jeff Kasubaski

orangespydiegirl
08-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Only being a recent :spyder2: owner I am curious about the recent
recall for the steering- Were there a few incidents like these fires
or did BRP figure it out themselves?

The steering recall was done because of problems with some of the spyders out there, as for the fires no one has posted if they've found out the cause, the last two are most likely still under investigation. Hopefully soon we'll get some answers before someone is hurt.

orangespydiegirl
08-04-2009, 05:28 PM
I sent the below email to BRP.

----- Original Message ----- From: Jeff Kasubaski (jeff0110@charter.net)
To: SpyderTeam@brp.com (SpyderTeam@brp.com)
Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 5:17 PM
Subject: Spyder Fires

Hello,

I have been reading about Spyders catching on fire. I was just wondering what BRP is doing to address this major issue! I keep thinking someday my Spyder will burn up in a fire!

Your prompt response is appreciated. It would be nice if you would address this question on your website as a Question of the week.

Sincerely,

Jeff Kasubaski

Thanks!!!!!! We should all do this, in fact I'm doing it NOW.

BAZMAN
08-04-2009, 05:42 PM
just had my steering recall done today. after that i ran about 40 mi with
94 degrees outside temp. no problems. at a couple of stops i had 5 bars
on the heat guage, i reached down and the fan was running as posted by
other riders this is normal. it was either here or on spyder talk one owner
said that he checked inlet fuel hose going to the engine and found a slight cut in the hose from rubbing on the engine. I THINK WE SHOULD ALL CHECK OR HAVE CHECKED ALL THE FUEL LINES. also my spyder is #2572 and the only recall i had was the steering.

Firefly
08-04-2009, 05:56 PM
For the spyders that have burnt,Did brp pay for the damages?Or did they make you file it under your insurance?:dontknow:
I don't think this should be an insurance thing,all spyders are still under the 2 yr warr.IMO I think brp should cover it!If they had to pay out they would find the answer!

This would be an insurance issue- not BRP's - so they were covered by the owners insurance. If there was proof of it being a design defect - the Insurance company *might* be able to go after BRP for the $$$ - but doubtful that would happen.

I emailed BRP about these fires - along with photos of 4 of the burnt Spyders. Heard nothing back - which didn't surprise me. Their legal team isn't going to let anyone confirm anything about these fires.

Only one owner has reported his fire to the NHTSA.

It only took 8 of us to file official reports with the NHTSA about the steering to get some action. BRP had 14 or so 'official' complaints made directly to them - including 2 injuries. BRP didn't make a move on the recall and fix until the NHTSA made them do it. They may have been addressing the problem behind the scenes and doing some repairs (GPS sensor) - but those were not official recalls pertaining to the steering.

They had a similar issue with Snowmobiles a few years ago - and the recall involved---- gas line rubbing on the engine head - which is what I found on my Spyder.

The ONLY way this will be addressed and taken care of is for the owners of burnt Spyders to file reports with the http://www.nhtsa.gov/.

Here is the Canadian department: https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/PCDB-BDPP/fc-cp.aspx?lang=eng

Smylinacha
08-04-2009, 08:29 PM
I sent them an email too asking the same question - what is up with spyders catching on fire. Told them it would be good to post it in the Question of the Week because many inquiring minds wanna know.

Doubt they will respond.

Roaddog2
08-04-2009, 09:04 PM
I think a Halon system will be my next mod when I smell the Wintergreen I will now to Bail :joke:Seriously sum ting is wong I hope they move there :cus: on this one.They must be opening alot of Swiss Bank accounts :ani29:

Motza
08-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Well everytime I come back from a ride now I'll never just pull into the garage. I let the bike sit for about 15 minutes before bringing it in...sucks to have this lingering in the back of your mind.

Soon we'll see a new spyder icon that we can click on...a Spyder on fire or a smolding Spyder nojoke

KFS...Kentucy Fried Spyder, is not what Colonel ordered!

Motza
08-04-2009, 09:56 PM
I think a Halon system will be my next mod when I smell the Wintergreen I will now to Bail :joke:Seriously sum ting is wong I hope they move there :cus: on this one.They must be opening alot of Swiss Bank accounts :ani29:
:shemademe_smilie: :roflblack: Halon System

Dudley
08-04-2009, 10:18 PM
they just said they were going to keep her and contact brp......

My simple mind has never figured out why dealers always have to contact BRP about anything concerning a Spyder! Dang! Take the plastics off and LOOK! Somewhere in there one should be able to see where the fire was burning! Your mishap is the perfect one to see where the fire may have started because you put it out AT THE DEALERS! BRP sure can't find it through a phone call. Are some dealers too stupid to do anything on their own, or does BRP have their hands tied? What your dealer told you sees to be the customary response most dealers give their customers. Not good! I hope for you that everything gets cleared up quickly to your satisfaction.

bone crusher
08-04-2009, 11:13 PM
I pull into the garage and leave it...don't worry about it...

I always do a walk-around after a ride anyway...

As far as the fires go, I will play devil's advocate here and state that it's not likely one issue that is causing these problems.

It's more likely a myriad of problems...each one could conceivably be unique to each bike...

In this case, who knows what the dealer did that could've sparked a fire....

Although some here have ideas of what is causing the fires, nobody knows for sure yet.

We're all on the same page with getting BRP involved and going to the NHTSA...we all have the same bike and the same issues...let's hope some investigations are done to figure out what the cause(s) are...

Until then, I don't think there is much any of us can do...just like with the steering recall, we can't do anything until the true problem is discovered...

krb1945
08-05-2009, 01:02 AM
Now I am not trying to be cute or funny here... but the cause of these fires is excessive heat in the engine compartment. The source naturally is the engine itself and the main villains radiating the heat are the exhaust pipes in that small enclosed space. It doesn't really matter whether the fire is caused by melting insulation on a wire causing shorts or melted fuel and oil lines. The root causes are still the exhaust manifolds and hoses/wiring rubbing on or to too close to the hot stuff. The initial fuel sources are hoses and wiring insulation then when there is enough heat the the fuel source is gas and oil.

To resolve most of this problem you must

1. get the wires and hoses away from the extreme heat sources which are the heads, cylinders and exhaust manifolds... (see this thread) http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13060

2. increase air flow through the engine compartment... just a suggestion but several of us have removed the under body splash panels. Check out Lamonsters information on this one (see this thread)
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9781&highlight=bottom+splash+panels

3. keep the exhaust heat where it is supposed to be... "in the exhaust pipes"... by insulating the headers in the engine compartment. this heat is supposed to go out the back end of the pipe not through the walls of the pipe. (There are several threads on this subject... just do a search on wrapping exhaust pipe or exhaust wrap)

I know there are a couple of other points probably but my concern is the needless burning up of these works of engineering when it can be prevented by insulating and moving wires and hoses away from or off of extreme heat sources.

gazey
08-05-2009, 03:31 AM
Now I am not trying to be cute or funny here... but the cause of these fires is excessive heat in the engine compartment. The source naturally is the engine itself and the main villains radiating the heat are the exhaust pipes in that small enclosed space. It doesn't really matter whether the fire is caused by melting insulation on a wire causing shorts or melted fuel and oil lines. The root causes are still the exhaust manifolds and hoses/wiring rubbing on or to too close to the hot stuff. The initial fuel sources are hoses and wiring insulation then when there is enough heat the the fuel source is gas and oil.

1. get the wires and hoses away from the extreme heat sources which are the heads, cylinders and exhaust manifolds... (see this thread) http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13060

2. increase air flow through the engine compartment... just a suggestion but several of us have removed the under body splash panels. Check out Lamonsters information on this one (see this thread)
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9781&highlight=bottom+splash+panels

3. keep the exhaust heat where it is supposed to be... "in the exhaust pipes"... by insulating the headers in the engine compartment. this heat is supposed to go out the back end of the pipe not through the walls of the pipe. (There are several threads on this subject... just do a search on wrapping exhaust pipe or exhaust wrap)

I know there are a couple of other points probably but my concern is the needless burning up of these works of engineering when it can be prevented by insulating and moving wires and hoses away from or off of extreme heat sources.

I don't think we should have to do any of these things.
The bike should work right straight out of the box. I know from my experience that dealers and insurance companies will look for any reason to dispute a claim. And unauthorized mods are right on the top of their list.
I'm just saying to think twice before you do any mods under that plastic.
I will be taking some extra precautions, but if my Spyder goes up in flames I don't want to be fighting with anyone to get paid out.
:chat:

krb1945
08-05-2009, 04:20 AM
your spyder goes up in flames and the insurance company denies your claim because you didn't take the time to put a heat shield or get the electrical wire or fuel line off the exhaust. Because you can bet you last nickle that the insurance companies read these forums too. And by reading them they know what we suspect is the cause and if "We The People" don't take action to correct a dangerous situation then the responsibility lies with us. Just because BRP hasn't come out and said to bring it to the dealer for correction of a safety issue with a machine they sold to the public doesn't mean we should not take the action to do so.

They should not have to do safety of flight problems on aircraft but they are correcting safety of flight issues for the entire life of the airplane. Look at the B-52 for example... it has been around for 50 years and they still have to correct safety problems. And you can bet if the AF sees a problem it gets reported to the manufacturer and the AF grounds the plane or does a rapid interim fix until the manufacturer engineers a permanent fix.

In other words ... "if you saw a 2 year old playing in the middle of a busy street" I'd bet my last Lincoln penny that you would get out there and stop traffic and get the child out of harms way. Now in saying this... the CanAm Sypder has on been available to the general public for two years, therefore, it is that same two year old playing on the street. If it has a possible safety issue you either take it to the dealer or correct it yourself.

It is a common sense safety problem... am I right or am I wrong?:chat:

wyliec
08-05-2009, 06:14 AM
your spyder goes up in flames and the insurance company denies your claim because you didn't take the time to put a heat shield or get the electrical wire or fuel line off the exhaust. Because you can bet you last nickle that the insurance companies read these forums too. And by reading them they know what we suspect is the cause and if "We The People" don't take action to correct a dangerous situation then the responsibility lies with us. Just because BRP hasn't come out and said to bring it to the dealer for correction of a safety issue with a machine they sold to the public doesn't mean we should not take the action to do so.

They should not have to do safety of flight problems on aircraft but they are correcting safety of flight issues for the entire life of the airplane. Look at the B-52 for example... it has been around for 50 years and they still have to correct safety problems. And you can bet if the AF sees a problem it gets reported to the manufacturer and the AF grounds the plane or does a rapid interim fix until the manufacturer engineers a permanent fix.

In other words ... "if you saw a 2 year old playing in the middle of a busy street" I'd bet my last Lincoln penny that you would get out there and stop traffic and get the child out of harms way. Now in saying this... the CanAm Sypder has on been available to the general public for two years, therefore, it is that same two year old playing on the street. If it has a possible safety issue you either take it to the dealer or correct it yourself.

It is a common sense safety problem... am I right or am I wrong?:chat:

Wrong.

What about all those spyder owners who never frequent a forum? They may never hear of the problem. And, those same spyder owners take their spyder in for all the required maintenance. You think what you said here applies? Do you really think that if someone doesn't install a heat shield that the insurance company is going to deny a claim? The answer is only 'yes', if you've been notified that brp has offered a fix.

BumbleBee
08-05-2009, 06:15 AM
:gaah:So sorry to hear about your spyder. I do not pull into my garage anymore, I leave it in the driveway for about an 1/2 hour. I do a walk around, and check it every few minutes. This is getting out of hand, and is very scarry. BRP website is awful. I sure hope BRP is on top of this.

gazey
08-05-2009, 06:44 AM
:gaah:So sorry to hear about your spyder. I do not pull into my garage anymore, I leave it in the driveway for about an 1/2 hour. I do a walk around, and check it every few minutes. This is getting out of hand, and is very scarry. BRP website is awful. I sure hope BRP is on top of this.

Don't panic BumbleBee, Its not like Spyders are going up in flames all over the place.
I think there has been 6 out of around 10,000. Thats still 6 to many I know :yikes:
Its probably a good idea to stop in a safe place for a few minuets before you put your bike in the shed.
But don't let it ruin the good times :doorag:

BRPjunkie
08-05-2009, 07:39 AM
We do not want our Spyders to burst into flames and neither does BRP. They are not ignoring the problem as their engineers and lawyers are looking at design, assembly, tests, components, etc. They have had snowmobiles, PWCs, ATVs, boats and now Spyders burn and they know how to look for causes. It takes time to connect the dots. I do not want mine to burst into flames, I do not want my garage and house to burn and I do not want to be injured or die. The fire and steering issues are very serious matters, but, we all accept a higher level of risk of personal injury or death every time we get on the Spyder and the odds are greater that it will be a car, truck, deer or poor judgement that damages our Spyder or us. I am not making excuses for design flaws, but in buying a first year product, I need to accept the good and the bad of that experience. Easy for me to say since mine has not caught fire.

aubierules
08-05-2009, 07:47 AM
The bike should work right straight out of the box.
:agree:

NancysToy
08-05-2009, 07:50 AM

I don't think anybody, even the BRP engineers, can say something like this with conviction. As of right now the cause or causes of these incidents are unknown, and it is foolish to read anything into it that is not there. Like everyone else, I have concerns, but I feel this will be resolved in time. In terms of quantity, this is still far from an epidemic.

Some resposes to your comments:
1. The wires and hoses do seem to be routed too closely for longevity in some cases, and BRP has made modifications on the newer machines, indicating a need to address the older Spyders. There are none of these things running near an extreme heat source, however, at least not on our Spyder. The only extreme heat source present is the exhaust. A water-cooled engine can only reach an external temp slightly above the water temp if the cooling system is working. That means maybe 230-250 at the absolute max. It takes 495 degrees F to ignite gasoline vapors, and more to ignite oil.

2. I tend to agree that the Spyder would benefit greatly from more air flow beneath the bodywork. Automobiles do not have much, if any, more air flow in the cases of some rear-engined cars, however. I doubt the matter is crucial, but more of a rider comfort thing. Wiring and hoses these days are rated for higher temperatures than we are experiencing. This is not the old rubber coated wire, that breaks down readily with heat. Long-term longevity is suspect, however. My thought right now is to install a cooling fan in the splash pan to pull some of the hot air out. This is to offset the air movement I believe I lost when the foglights were installed, and also to make the body panels cooler to ride against during hot-weather, extended rides. Removing the splash pans on our Spyder actually increased the engine temp, BTW, disrupting airflow through the radiator. I put them back on.

3. As has been debated here before, exhaust wrap is a compromise. There are things you may gain, and things you may lose, especially in the areas of performance and component longevity. If the heat was supposed to be "where it belongs" in the exhaust pipes, wouldn't each and every vehicle ever manufactured have exhaust wrap or double-walled exhaust pipes? Wrapping is a personal preference...no more, no less.

As to the statement you made in another post that owners do this stuff lest they get an insurance claim denied, where did that one come from? The vehicle manufacturer is liable for any defects in the design and manufacture, not the consumer. No court in the land would throw this one at the buyer, and any insurance company that denied a claim because the owner did not scratch his head to come up with a supposed "cure" and did not tinker to implement that fix, would be raked over the coals by the regulatory agencies, and would probably suffer substantial punative losses in the ensuing lawsuits. You are more likely to get denied if you do make modifications than if you don't. You would also probably be denied if there were a recall and you did not take your vehicle in to be repaired in a suitable amount of time.

All this tends to remind me of the Pontiac Fiero fires. Are there design difficulties leading to these incidents?......probably. Do we know with certainty what they are?......not yet. Every one who has had an incident needs to report this to the NHTSA (in the US). The rest of us need to inspect our Spyders for obvious problems, or request that our dealers do it for us. Beyond that it is going to have to be a waiting game. Guessing at a solution is something most of us are neither equipped or qualified to do. Guessing wrong could cost us more than waiting patiently.

3wheeldemon
08-05-2009, 08:13 AM
NancysToy (Scotty) :clap::agree:

But I am adding a little fire extinguisher to my "junk in the trunk", the PWC type seems appropriate (see example in the link)

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/KID-466636/Kidde%20PWC%20Fire%20Extinguisher.html

NancysToy
08-05-2009, 11:21 AM
NancysToy (Scotty) :clap::agree:

But I am adding a little fire extinguisher to my "junk in the trunk", the PWC type seems appropriate (see example in the link)

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/KID-466636/Kidde%20PWC%20Fire%20Extinguisher.html
Biggest trouble in this is getting to it in time, or even at all, if you have a fire. Not a bad idea, however. Might be a good practice to poo the trunk (provided you have a popper spring) every time you shut the key off after a ride...just in case.

Spanky
08-05-2009, 12:10 PM
.....a good practice to poo the trunk......

Is that in the trunk????:yikes:

smokster
08-05-2009, 12:26 PM
I pull into the garage and leave it...don't worry about it...

I always do a walk-around after a ride anyway...

As far as the fires go, I will play devil's advocate here and state that it's not likely one issue that is causing these problems.

It's more likely a myriad of problems...each one could conceivably be unique to each bike...

In this case, who knows what the dealer did that could've sparked a fire....

Although some here have ideas of what is causing the fires, nobody knows for sure yet.

We're all on the same page with getting BRP involved and going to the NHTSA...we all have the same bike and the same issues...let's hope some investigations are done to figure out what the cause(s) are...

Until then, I don't think there is much any of us can do...just like with the steering recall, we can't do anything until the true problem is discovered...

I hung a new fire extinguisher in the garage this past weekend.If it catches fire somewhere else, I think it is better to let it burn so no one tries to claim that it can be fixed and you have problems down the line

BajaRon
08-05-2009, 12:35 PM
Wow! Opinions all over the map on this one.

I agree, in a perfect world we wouldn't have to do anything to our Spyders.

Without any modifications, our Spyders work just fine, in the great majority of cases.

Can we make them better? You bet! But that isn't the same as making them safe from fire.

In truth, other than a few that have caught fire for as yet unknown reasons, we don't HAVE to do anything to our Spyders.

As far as an insurance company denying a fire claim because the owner didn't go through his Spyder with a fine tooth comb looking for possible issues, that isn't going to happen. As stated before, defects are the manufacturer's responsibility, not the owner's. Insurance will pay.

Now if the owner received a fire safety recall and ignores it, that MIGHT be an issue with the insurance company. But that is not the case with our Spyder's.

It would be great to get some definitive information regarding these fires so we could all start working on a solution, if that is even necessary. But until that happens we will continue to be up in the air and all over the map.

SSPSpyder
08-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Poo the trunk?:roflblack:

Smylinacha
08-05-2009, 01:47 PM
The bike should work right straight out of the box.:chat:

:agree::agree::agree:

bun-1
08-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Here are a couple of pictures from the dealer maybe one of you guys can get a better idea how it my have started... BRP also have a copy of the pictures but you know how they work

bun-1
08-05-2009, 01:55 PM
2 more..

Smylinacha
08-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Is that in the trunk????:yikes:

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack:

Smylinacha
08-05-2009, 02:06 PM
2 more..

On the pic on the right - what is that white looking stuff on the exhaust? Looks like something leaked all over it?

rsartin305@aol.com
08-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss........... - real bummer :mad:....... I take our :spyder2: in for the steering recall Thursday.. '08 SE5 model - 4500 miles with no issues. I hope I don't have to call my wife to come and get me........one fire is too much; how many have we had now and no comments from the manufacturer (that I know of).

don
I took my 09 SE5 :spyder2:in yesterday and I'm Ok so far, but I never encountered the problem anyway.:2thumbs:

3wheeldemon
08-05-2009, 02:46 PM
bun-1: Really sorry for the whole situation :gaah:

No disrespect, just to cheer you up a little:

It apparently used to happen to the BMW's too!

Don in E Texas
08-05-2009, 04:01 PM
I took my 09 SE5 :spyder2:in yesterday and I'm Ok so far, but I never encountered the problem anyway.:2thumbs:

See this is your first post.........welcome to the best Forum for :spyder2:
welcome

don

ptoemmes
08-05-2009, 04:05 PM
bun-1,

When they are done looking have Jesse fix it and then get you a new one.

YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.

Firefly
08-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Those photos are too close-up to really see what the heck we are looking at. Got any from a bit further back?

BumbleBee
08-05-2009, 05:29 PM

:2thumbs:welcome Ryde safe!

BumbleBee
08-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Don't panic BumbleBee, Its not like Spyders are going up in flames all over the place.
I think there has been 6 out of around 10,000. Thats still 6 to many I know :yikes:
Its probably a good idea to stop in a safe place for a few minuets before you put your bike in the shed.
But don't let it ruin the good times :doorag:

No panic here, yet! Just in case and being safe. I am still ryding and will not let this ruin the good times.

gazey
08-05-2009, 05:59 PM
I am still ryding and will not let this ruin the good times.

Thats the spirit :ohyea:

krb1945
08-05-2009, 06:00 PM
do not say I said something when I didn't... If you look at the post closely in the title line and the very first line... you might note I said

"what if your spyder goes up in flames and the insurance company denies your claim because you didn't take the time to put a heat shield or get the electrical wire or fuel line off the exhaust. Because you can bet you last nickle that the insurance companies read these forums too."

This is exactly what I said... it is just a few posts above this one for all to see. I have noticed recently as the temperature has gone up this summer people on this forum are not paying attention to what is actually said in a post but putting their own words in the post. Another prime example is when I posted about the tow a spyder on a tow dolly... many were jumping to conclusions in the vein of "you probably should not tow a spyder on a dolly because the transmission would not be lubed because it is a pressure lube system. I suspect many did not actually read the entire post before they started to place their own words in the post... because if you go back and read the post "Towing a Spyder on a tow dolly this is what was actually in the post. "Is there any reason you could not or should not tow a spyder on a tow dolly as long as you remove the drive belt? And release the parking brake!"

If the subscribers that belittle someone else's knowledge did not do this but rather pay closer attention to detail they might learn even more than they now know. Be more like Lamonster and listen and actually read what is said before jumping to the conclusion that they or I am wrong. I have 40 years experience in business, both computers and mechanical engine repair. I am not wrong on every statement or post I make. As some of you are aware I have placed items on this site that have helped some that are medically challenged as well as others.

Right now I am thoroughly disillusioned with the lack of respect of others knowledge and opinion by some of the members of this site.

Now I am out of here... gentlemen have a good day!

bun-1
08-05-2009, 06:03 PM
talked to the chick from brp and just like i thought brp don't give a f*ck. she stated that the fire wasn't my fought and theirs either but they are willing to fix it and give it back to me. after fussing back n forth with her about getting me a new one she stated that all brp can do is fix it, but its up to my dealer if i can get a new one. spoke with the local dealer n they said i would probably have to trade it in wtf....

can anyone that caught fire tell me how brp handled your case...

porboy
08-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Is it me or does it seem like the Se models are having far more problems than the Sm5?:dontknow:

SpyderRyder810
08-05-2009, 08:08 PM
bun-1 please be sure to contact the NHTSA about this fire. So far it appears that only one other fire was reported to them. I doubt if anything will be done unless the NHTSA get involved.

czdaryle
08-05-2009, 08:15 PM
Biggest trouble in this is getting to it in time, or even at all, if you have a fire. Not a bad idea, however. Might be a good practice to poo the trunk (provided you have a popper spring) every time you shut the key off after a ride...just in case.

How would pooing in the trunk stop a fire:dontknow::yikes:

bone crusher
08-05-2009, 08:37 PM
No panic here, yet! Just in case and being safe. I am still ryding and will not let this ruin the good times.

NancysToy
08-05-2009, 09:08 PM
Right now I am thoroughly disillusioned with the lack of respect of others knowledge and opinion by some of the members of this site.

I have reread all this several times now, and fail to see where anyone has blatantly disrespected anyone else in this thread. Maybe I am just dense. You have made some very, very strong statements, and people responded politely, but firmly, with their opposing opinions. It appears that since they disagreed with you, you feel they are disrespectful. :hun: Can someone please explain this to me?

BajaRon
08-05-2009, 09:47 PM
do not say I said something when I didn't... If you look at the post closely in the title line and the very first line... you might note I said

"what if your spyder goes up in flames and the insurance company denies your claim because you didn't take the time to put a heat shield or get the electrical wire or fuel line off the exhaust. Because you can bet you last nickle that the insurance companies read these forums too."

I agree with Nancy's Toy on this one. Just don't see where you're having a problem with the responses. Don't see anywhere that someone put words in your mouth (or post). All I can see are individual opinions based on exactly what you did say.

If you expect everyone to agree with your assessment's then your're probably in the wrong place. Not sure where you could go to find that. And if you did find a forum like that it probably wouldn't be worth the reading anyway.

I saw the "What If" part of your senerio. Why do you assume that because someone disagrees they didn't read the post? Isn't this the same thing that you are accusing others of? Why get upset? It's really no big deal either way.

We should be able to throw around our ideas here without getting angry. Some poke fun in a friendly way but that should be taken in the vein that it is intended.

My feeling is that your "What If" senerio isn't going to happen in the real world. Since the insurance company WILL pay even if your proposed, hypothetical senerio ocurred, the "What If" is irrelivant.

That was my opinion and my point. It wasn't meant to belittle or aggravate anyone. Like any opinion, it is easily disregarded and that won't bother me at all.

People have differing opinions to mine all the time. Sometimes I find I am wrong. In these cases I'm glad that someone challanged me on the subject.

If I stay with my original opinion I still appreciate the alternate perspectives I get here because they cause me to consider things from a different angle.

I hope you get over this and come back to enjoy and contribute to this forum.

It's all good!

Trickie Dick
08-05-2009, 09:48 PM
I have reread all this several times now, and fail to see where anyone has blatantly disrespected anyone else in this thread. Maybe I am just dense. You have made some very, very strong statements, and people responded politely, but firmly, with their opposing opinions. It appears that since they disagreed with you, you feel they are disrespectful. :hun: Can someone please explain this to me?

I agree, Scotty. In reading the thread I see the dissenting opinions are generally well thought out, not just arguing for arguments sake. Certainly nothing to get your bowels in an uproar.
Dick

ptoemmes
08-05-2009, 10:05 PM

What has happened in the last few months? Are folks off their meds... or do I need to start taking some?

It isn't just here. I think it's the "economy" jobs, etc. Seriously, even the discourse in the media - main stream or otherwise - is pretty strained. Don't get me started on road courtesy - or lack thereof - realizing I do live in Southeast Florida. Something's gonna pop. I am not a doomer nor an over optimist, not a dire pessimist. I think of myself as a realist and I am really concerned.

That's enough of stepping too far away from Spyder related stuff for me.

Pete

Skidz
08-05-2009, 11:49 PM
I know I'm the new guy, and as such, my opinion doesn't carry the same weight as the older members, but one thing has been troubling me since I first heard of these fire issues. It has been mentioned several times that only one fire has been reported to the NHTSA. Why only one? I would think that at the very least there would have been two or three more, since they have pictures posted on the Internet. So that means that someone has access to these sites, and most likely this very forum. So why only the one report? Since the one report has been made an issue of itself (one that would affect BRP directly), it would seem the owners would want to file these reports.

I would assume that all of the affected parties have contacted their respective insurance agencies. Would it not be reasonable to think the insurance agent might have also mentioned this report?

I wonder if anyone has gotten in touch with these owners, and let them know of the importance of filing such a report. And if the owner doesn't want to do this, or has some reason against it, what is the reason?

It's just my opinion, which I know ain't worth a hill of beans, but I think this matter should be addressed.

Skidz

Firefly
08-05-2009, 11:54 PM
talked to the chick from brp and just like i thought brp don't give a f*ck. she stated that the fire wasn't my fought and theirs either but they are willing to fix it and give it back to me. after fussing back n forth with her about getting me a new one she stated that all brp can do is fix it, but its up to my dealer if i can get a new one. spoke with the local dealer n they said i would probably have to trade it in wtf....

can anyone that caught fire tell me how brp handled your case...

This should be an issue for your insurance company to deal with. Either way - fixed or replaced---- it is why you have insurance.

Dudley
08-06-2009, 12:21 AM
OK, I am mechanically and electrically challenged, but I am going to put my nickle on a bet that the fires are all electrical ones. Why are they electrical? I don't have the answer, but that's where my nickle is going.

Smylinacha
08-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Think I'd be researching this site, printing out some documentation of other fires, and then calling my attorney.......I'll bet the BRP tune starts to change.......

:agree::agree:
Do we have any attorneys in here who are :spyder:ryders?

Smylinacha
08-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Ken, I thought it was the water or something.

I have dramatically reduced my posts due to (1) the lack of sense of humor of some; (2) being all but called a liar by a few; (3) and yet still others, I perceive, just want to argue for argument's sake.

What has happened in the last few months? Are folks off their meds... or do I need to start taking some?

The plus side is I can still read and learn.... albeit relatively silently... and it takes far less of my time to just read.

Nah, it's all good! Nobody's calling you a liar and if anyone did, just ignore them. Who cares! I think when it all boils down, no matter who is getting their panties in a wad over this or that, if someone needs a question answered, help with something for their :spyder2:, we'd all be right there to lend a hand regardless of what is said in here.

Firefly
08-06-2009, 09:36 AM
OK, I am mechanically and electrically challenged, but I am going to put my nickle on a bet that the fires are all electrical ones. Why are they electrical? I don't have the answer, but that's where my nickle is going.

I would agree that they very well may be started by some electrical problem - but there also needs to be fuel to feed these fires. A spark or short most likely won't catch the panels or rubber parts on fire. These suckers that really went up in smoke had to have gas getting out where it doesn't belong.

I'm pretty pissed to find out that the 2009 Spyders have protective wrap around the gas lines - and the olders ones do not--- and my gas line has the start of a rubbed 'hole' in it - thus why I wrapped it.

This tells me that BRP knows there is a problem - but has done nothing to alert current owners.

tatt2r
08-06-2009, 09:55 AM
If you're willing to throw you're opinion out there, better be prepared for some criticism.........

Don't do the crime if ya' can't do the time.....:doorag:

:agree:DON'T DO IT......:thumbup: POOR BARETTA.....

tatt2r
08-06-2009, 09:57 AM
How would pooing in the trunk stop a fire:dontknow::yikes:

after a few volcano tacos from the bell i could start a fire ...:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

j45p3r
08-06-2009, 09:58 AM
A good lesson I guess. If my Spyder catches fire I'm going to let it burn to the ground.

Donk45
08-06-2009, 10:04 AM
:chat:

Spanky
08-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Nah, it's all good! Nobody's calling you a liar and if anyone did, just ignore them. Who cares! I think when it all boils down, no matter who is getting their panties in a wad over this or that, if someone needs a question answered, help with something for their :spyder2:, we'd all be right there to lend a hand regardless of what is said in here.

Agreed, just like a large family. We will fight amongst each other but we will be there to help out when the occasion arises.

Don in E Texas
08-06-2009, 11:54 AM
I know I'm the new guy, and as such, my opinion doesn't carry the same weight as the older members, but one thing has been troubling me since I first heard of these fire issues. It has been mentioned several times that only one fire has been reported to the NHTSA. Why only one? I would think that at the very least there would have been two or three more, since they have pictures posted on the Internet. So that means that someone has access to these sites, and most likely this very forum. So why only the one report? Since the one report has been made an issue of itself (one that would affect BRP directly), it would seem the owners would want to file these reports.

I would assume that all of the affected parties have contacted their respective insurance agencies. Would it not be reasonable to think the insurance agent might have also mentioned this report?

I wonder if anyone has gotten in touch with these owners, and let them know of the importance of filing such a report. And if the owner doesn't want to do this, or has some reason against it, what is the reason?

It's just my opinion, which I know ain't worth a hill of beans, but I think this matter should be addressed.

Skidz

You are a member of this Forum and as such you should post your views.

don

Firefly
08-06-2009, 12:10 PM

Skidz

I have asked the owners that posted the fire photos to contact the NHTSA - even provided the web links - numerous times - but as of yesterday (last time I checked the NHTSA website) only one took the time to file a report. The owner of the bike has to post the report - your insurance company, dealer, other forum member, etc. won't and/or cannot do it.

Very frustrating to me. It took me maybe 20 minutes to file my report about the steering problems - and about 8 of us did this and finally some action was taken!

BRP won't do anything until the NHTSA makes them.

BajaRon
08-06-2009, 02:59 PM
I know I'm the new guy, and as such, my opinion doesn't carry the same weight as the older members,
Skidz

We all started out as "New Members". I think each opinion stands on its own. Any value (or lack thereof) should be based on content of the post, not necessarily on longevity of membership.

I value the input of all members. Some I agree with, some I don't and some I just do not understand where they are coming from.... And I am sure the entire spectrum is in force with my posts as well.

I'm here to be informed, add my 2 cents (which I hope helps someone) and have fun.

So far so good! :ohyea:

gazey
08-06-2009, 05:40 PM

:agree: Its not the same as having a face to face with someone.
It can be very easy to misinterpret someones meaning on forums like this.
I think we all need to step back and take another look sometimes before we jump in and make a comment :doorag:

gazey
08-06-2009, 05:42 PM
after a few volcano tacos from the bell i could start a fire ...:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

That's way to much information......:joke:

bjt
08-07-2009, 08:21 AM
I know I'm the new guy, and as such, my opinion doesn't carry the same weight as the older members...

Skidz

We all started out as "New Members". I think each opinion stands on its own. Any value (or lack thereof) should be based on content of the post, not necessarily on longevity of membership.

I value the input of all members. Some I agree with, some I don't and some I just do not understand where they are coming from.... And I am sure the entire spectrum is in force with my posts as well.

I'm here to be informed, add my 2 cents (which I hope helps someone) and have fun.

So far so good! :ohyea:

+1

Roaddog2
08-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Think I'd be researching this site, printing out some documentation of other fires, and then calling my attorney.......I'll bet the BRP tune starts to change.......

tweeder
08-07-2009, 10:33 PM
This should be an issue for your insurance company to deal with. Either way - fixed or replaced---- it is why you have insurance.

But why should my insurance go up do to someone elses neglect? I already pay an arm and a leg and I have no accidents.

WackyDan
08-07-2009, 11:14 PM
A good lesson I guess. If my Spyder catches fire I'm going to let it burn to the ground.

And if mine catches fire, I'll let myself get a slight burn... maybe then they'll have a response. Just kidding...I'm not that stupid or smart for that matter.

To whom it may concern,

I'm an owner of a 2008 Spyder bought new in crate April of this year. There
have now been several reports of different Spyders catching fire. Some have
been total losses with only one so far that we know of reported to the U.S.
NHTSA. A few have had minor to major damage and luckily no loss of property,
an injury or deaths have been reported.

I now leave my Spyder outside my garage after riding in order to let it cool
down before pushing it inside. My neighbor asked me why I was pushing it and
I had to explain about the fires and how I'm not talking any chances.

I believe the Spyder is a safe vehicle, and I do believe that all the fires
we have heard about and the ones we haven't yet, represent a very small
percentage of Spyders sold. However, you have established a loyal community
of owners that are now asking for answers and are concerned not only for
their investment, but also their safety. I understand that you may be in the
process of investigating this issue, and that you may not want to make any
statements prematurely. That said, the noise about this in the Spyder
communities online is getting louder and tarnishing the reputation of BRP
and the Spyder for those that come online to research buying a Spyder. To
date we have had no confirmation from any of the owners that BRP even cares
about their burned up Spyder and have requested to see these Spyders in
order to diagnose the potential issue.

Please find some way to address this issue at some point in the near future,
as my faith that my money was well spent on your product is fading. I'm sure
you can find a way to address our concerns that would appease your corporate
lawyers and internal marketing department.

Sincerely,

Daniel Paquette
Matthews, NC
2008 Spyder 1300 miles and no fire so far.

Motza
08-07-2009, 11:22 PM
And if mine catches fire, I'll let myself get a slight burn... maybe then they'll have a response. Just kidding...I'm not that stupid or smart for that matter.

To whom it may concern,

I'm an owner of a 2008 Spyder bought new in crate April of this year. There
have now been several reports of different Spyders catching fire. Some have
been total losses with only one so far that we know of reported to the U.S.
NHTSA. A few have had minor to major damage and luckily no loss of property,
an injury or deaths have been reported.

I now leave my Spyder outside my garage after riding in order to let it cool
down before pushing it inside. My neighbor asked me why I was pushing it and
I had to explain about the fires and how I'm not talking any chances.

I believe the Spyder is a safe vehicle, and I do believe that all the fires
we have heard about and the ones we haven't yet, represent a very small
percentage of Spyders sold. However, you have established a loyal community
of owners that are now asking for answers and are concerned not only for
their investment, but also their safety. I understand that you may be in the
process of investigating this issue, and that you may not want to make any
statements prematurely. That said, the noise about this in the Spyder
communities online is getting louder and tarnishing the reputation of BRP
and the Spyder for those that come online to research buying a Spyder. To
date we have had no confirmation from any of the owners that BRP even cares
about their burned up Spyder and have requested to see these Spyders in
order to diagnose the potential issue.

Please find some way to address this issue at some point in the near future,
as my faith that my money was well spent on your product is fading. I'm sure
you can find a way to address our concerns that would appease your corporate
lawyers and internal marketing department.

Sincerely,

Daniel Paquette
Matthews, NC
2008 Spyder 1300 miles and no fire so far.
Well said...:clap:

Firefly
08-07-2009, 11:26 PM
But why should my insurance go up do to someone elses neglect? I already pay an arm and a leg and I have no accidents.

:dontknow:

Firefly
08-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Nice letter.

Maybe we all should have been more aware before buying--- considering their name----- BOMBardier :roflblack:

spyryder
08-08-2009, 12:18 AM
FIREfly :roflblack:

superfly3
08-08-2009, 01:08 PM
there's always one in every group:joke: firefly:roflblack:

Smylinacha
08-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Nice letter.

Maybe we all should have been more aware before buying--- considering their name----- BOMBardier :roflblack:

:2thumbs:

Roaddog2
08-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Well said...:clap::agree::thumbup: