PDA

View Full Version : New Member

Sampi1099
05-04-2020, 02:57 PM
Hello everyone i'm new to the Can am spyder scene and i'm looking for some advice on which one to purchase. I just got my license thru Team Arizona. There is two that I am looking at one is a 2010 RT and the other is a 2013 RS-S SM5. Please advice me since this is a lot of money to spend for a retired person on a fixed income.

Thank you
Jim181154

CopperSpyder
05-04-2020, 03:32 PM
Welcome to the forum Sampi1099. It depends what your looking for. Do you ride two up? Will you want to ride long distance from time to time? Always helps to do a little research on the different models that are available. There is one for sale in the for sale by owner area of this forum that I think is a steal if you are looking for an RT with the SM6 transmission. So you would have to give a little detail of what you are looking for; there are big difference between the two models you mention.

Sampi1099
05-04-2020, 05:34 PM
No I don't ride 2 up and yes long distance riding is about 50 percent of the time. Since I,m new to this I have no one to ride with. Thank you I will check on one you said.

safecracker
05-04-2020, 05:59 PM
The Rt is better if you plan on touring, especially if you are taller. RSS has more of a sporter ride. The 2010's and 2011's did have a few growing pains. Throttle body is big one and DPS on the 2010. I have a 2011 RTS, SM5. It has been a great ryde so far. Also the RT'S have an air bag that controls the rear suspension. Depending on the model it could be controlled manually or automatically. On the 2010 RT, has a larger windshield than later model years. Bruce

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-04-2020, 06:01 PM
Welcome to the forum Sampi1099. It depends what your looking for. Do you ride two up? Will you want to ride long distance from time to time? Always helps to do a little research on the different models that are available. There is one for sale in the for sale by owner area of this forum that I think is a steal if you are looking for an RT with the SM6 transmission. So you would have to give a little detail of what you are looking for; there are big difference between the two models you mention.

:agree: just a bit of research could save you a lot of dis-appointment ..... and the V-twin is no longer used by BRP ..... the 1330 engine is the re-placement motor / trans combo asnd IMHO saved the BRP from failure ..... it is much closer to a Gold wing than previous models ever were ..... annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd :welcome:.... Mike :thumbup:

Sampi1099
05-04-2020, 06:02 PM
I'm only 5'6" so im not tall. plus I live in the desert. Thank you all for your advice.

ARtraveler
05-04-2020, 06:35 PM
:welcome: Be sure to try both flavors. Even though they are the same power plant, they do ride much different. You will most likely find the RT like a gold wing couch ride, and the RS more like a crotch rocket.

I cut my teeth on 08 and 09 GS/RS versions. Much prefered the three RT's I have owned.

I had a 2010 Premier Edition RT and I liked it a lot. I put 36,500 miles on mine before trading off on a 2014 RT Triple. I do like that one better than the twin. We still have it and turned 40,000 miles on it yesterday.

A recommendation: Have the dealer run the VIN for you. That will give you the service history. The throttle body issues (hard starting when hot), should have been fixed for free by the dealer under warranty. Once fixed, we had no further issues.

Let us know what you do. :yes:

JayBros
05-04-2020, 08:03 PM
At this link you can find the features of the various years ans models of Spyder, https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/bikes/BRP.htm.

If long distance riding is your preference I agree with safecracker that the RT is probably the better choice. Although I've never owned a V-twin and the 2014 RT-S is my first Spyder that I hope to ride at least 200K miles, I agree very much with Mike that the 1330 ACE engine is an order of magnitude better that a 10 year old V-twin in terms of frequency and ease of maintenance, better fuel mileage, a six speed transmission and low end torque. As a fellow retiree who lives on a fixed income, if you can afford the increased initial cost of a 2014 or later RT, your long term ownership costs will be lower. Good luck and be safe.

jsflash
05-04-2020, 10:41 PM
Welcome, likened U I retired end of last year then bought my first cycle ever this year... it was a 2013 RS SE5 and my brother has had a 2011 RT for a few years, as stated before it’s more of U’re liking, the RS is more of a sporty ride, where the RT is a touring, legs more out in front of U and the handlebars are higher so U sit more upright, my thing was the SE5 transmission, U still up sift and can down sift or it will do it for U without having to use a clutch, just my preference & my 2 cents

Little Blue
05-05-2020, 10:00 AM
:coffee: My Tip for you. Look and Ryde a couple of Spyders. See how they feel and learn how they Ryde. As for a Year or Model, If you can, go with the 2014 RT SE6 or newer (1330 engine) Spyder. Good Luck on Your Mission. ......:thumbup:

Deanna777
05-05-2020, 05:13 PM
:welcome:

I had a 2012 RTS-SE5 that had the 998 engine had that for 2 years, traded up to my current spyder, 2014 RTS-SE6 with the 1330 triple engine.

It is very low in maintenance, quieter engine, Higher torque, smoother ride, fewer fill-ups, refined front design,and heat management, new sach's shocks, 1200 watt alternator,( 85% more power for your electronic accessories), new 6 speed transmission, you can cruise comfortably at 3,300 RPM's new hydraulic clutch activation system with electronic pressure control. You can pass thru town with out downshifting. You can down shift or it will down shift for you.

Look at the "For the Sale by owner " on this site. Only a suggestion I would if you can do it financially get a 2014 and up spyder model, with the 1330 triple engine.

Deanna

Sampi1099
05-08-2020, 09:20 PM
ok everyone here is my new to me my ride 2012 Can Am spyder RT xs limited.181153

Peter Aawen
05-08-2020, 09:30 PM
:congrats: on your very clean & wonderful looking 'new to you' Spyder! :clap:

It might take a little bit to get really used to it, but if you get the revs up & keep them up (the SE's clutch doesn't fully engage til about 3500 rpm, so revs below that for too long aren't very good for it!) it won't be long before you're enjoying the Miles of Smiles! :ohyea:

If you haven't already, check out the 'Do's & Don't's' thread here: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners - just make sure the bit you're reading is for the V-Twin motor; keep a relaxed grip on the bars & gently guide it while looking waaayy down the road at where you want to go; and don't forget to keep your shoulders relaxed & down... and ENJOY! :thumbup:

Bangorbob
05-09-2020, 09:03 AM
You will enjoy it I'm sure. Congrats!!!!!

MonPaul
05-09-2020, 10:08 AM
:congrats: That bike looks brand new! :2thumbs:

Sampi1099
05-09-2020, 10:09 PM
ok im a newby so do our bikes go thru emissions every year in AZ? Like a car does.

Sampi1099
05-10-2020, 09:37 AM
Hello all.

Lew L
05-10-2020, 10:35 AM
:welcome: What part of Arizona are you located?? MY son is is Mariana, north of Tucson. Be sure to update your profile and let the forum know what you're ryding for future reference.

Lew L

ARtraveler
05-10-2020, 10:35 AM
:welcome:

Sampi1099
05-10-2020, 10:48 AM
I live in Apache Junction north from your son.

Ex-Rocket
05-10-2020, 11:31 AM
:welcome: & :congrats:

BajaRon
05-11-2020, 08:51 AM
Hello everyone i'm new to the Can am spyder scene and i'm looking for some advice on which one to purchase. I just got my license thru Team Arizona. There is two that I am looking at one is a 2010 RT and the other is a 2013 RS-S SM5. Please advice me since this is a lot of money to spend for a retired person on a fixed income.

Thank you
Jim181154

You will get a lot of opinions on this one. But really, the only opinion that matters is your own. Do what you can to ride as many different Spyder models and years as you are able. I'd say that this, if possible, will help you decide.

robhowen
05-11-2020, 11:52 AM
If by chance you want to check dealer offerings or just want a fantastic dealer to work with for service, please consider Sierra Cycles in Sierra Vista, AZ. Anyone that knows them, knows they are the BEST in AZ. I have no affiliation other than being a customer for over 5 years and have purchased 3 Spyders through them. Their website is https://www.sierracycles.com/ and ask for Steve Crump for Sales, Jeff Davidson for Service, and David Levitt is the co-owner along with his Father, Barry Levitt.

Rob

Saluda
05-11-2020, 12:09 PM
Congrats.

Northofthesix
05-11-2020, 01:19 PM
Congrats and welcome!! I went from a Yamaha Venture S last fall to a 2018 RT Limited.... I found, as friends who already owned spyders told me, it took 1000 miles to "unlearn" riding a 2 wheel motorcycle, and another 1000 to really be comfortable on the 3 wheels.... I sold the Venture and will never look back!!