PDA

View Full Version : Looking at my first Spyder - general questions

Mike0123
05-04-2020, 09:21 AM
Hi all,
I currently have a bike and do a lot of 2-up. I have a friend selling his Spyder and I'm not sure what model it is, but I do know its a 2012; main issue is that is has no rear trunk - tour pack.
He isn't sure what the model is (at least last time we talked), I see there are 2 models (?), and it seems like this might be an RS - with no tour pack... but he said it does have the frunk, and the 2 hard side bags. I would need to add a backrest / tour pack.
Is this possible? Where can I check the options out?
If it is an RS, how's the seat for long days?
Can it be retrofitted with touring components, or should I just look for an RT??
Anything else come to mind??

Thanks for your help

Mike

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-04-2020, 09:32 AM
Hi all,
I currently have a bike and do a lot of 2-up. I have a friend selling his Spyder and I'm not sure what model it is, but I do know its a 2012; main issue is that is has no rear trunk - tour pack.
He isn't sure what the model is (at least last time we talked), I see there are 2 models (?), and it seems like this might be an RS - with no tour pack... but he said it does have the frunk, and the 2 hard side bags. I would need to add a backrest / tour pack.
Can it be retrofitted with touring components, or should I just look for an RT??

Thanks for your help

Mike

:welcome:, we on this Forum are more than happy the assist all that seek answers ...... Why your friend doesn't know what Spyder He has is mystifying...... It is probably an RS, the other Spyder that was made that year was the " RT ".... I turned my 08 GS into a touring bike similar to the RT, by adding two side cases a rear top case, a windshield from a Gold Wing , and a stereo with speakers, a member here ," Holly " did make a very funny video, back in 2012 (?) about my GS .... Mike :thumbup:

Mazo EMS2
05-04-2020, 09:45 AM
It sounds like he has the RS, but it's hard to know. If you do a lot of 2 up riding, I would recommend the RT. It was built with 2 up riding in mind. If you like to shift with a clutch and your foot, you could look for an SM5 or SM6 version, the electric shift version is called the SE5 or SE6. Most models (RS, ST, RT, F3) offered the SM and SE versions at one point or another. The RT SE6 would be my recommendation, along with one from 2014 or newer. The models 2014 or newer come with the bigger 3 cylinder 1330 motor that is a little cheaper to maintain as well. That should get you started......there is a ton of info here on the site

Mike0123
05-04-2020, 09:51 AM
It sounds like he has the RS, but it's hard to know. ...

Yeah ... I understand. IT was a phone conversation yesterday. I just think he couldn't be pothered to check at the time. It's not his usual ride.... so...

Anyway thanks for both answers. Appreciate it. I think I'd want an RT too... but this price might be too good ... but then again, once I learn more... maybe not!

Thanks again

JayBros
05-04-2020, 10:11 AM
Welcome! You might check this link to see what you might be considering in the 2012 Spyder in question. https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/bikes/BRP.htm. If you want to know about adding touring capability to this bike in question, IMO, you'd be better off looking at an RT model. I use mine as routine transportation for everything in addition to touring. You'd be surprised at the amount of groceries, including 40 lb bags of dog food you can haul on/in an RT. Good luck & be safe!

cptjam
05-04-2020, 11:07 AM
If the price is reasonable, buy it and ride it! 8 year old Spyders are pretty cheap. If you decide a Spyder is for you, you can always upgrade, or, have your passenger learn to ride that one, and you get another! If you decide it is not for you, you can move it along. It takes a few miles to transition to 3 wheels! Once you stop trying to lean, put your feet down, push it backwards, and embrace it for what it is, it’s great! Just a thought. Good luck!

ARtraveler
05-04-2020, 11:18 AM
Yeah ... I understand. IT was a phone conversation yesterday. I just think he couldn't be pothered to check at the time. It's not his usual ride.... so...

Anyway thanks for both answers. Appreciate it. I think I'd want an RT too... but this price might be too good ... but then again, once I learn more... maybe not!

Thanks again

2012 RT's should be going for $10K to $11K. A RS should be $8K to $9K. Check blue book to verify. I recently traded an 11 RT so am basing my pricing on that information.

Mike0123
05-04-2020, 12:02 PM
Thank you all for taking the time to reply and pass along advice. Looks like I should be looking for an RT... No sense in getting the wrong thing and paying the extra to make it what I want.
Appreciate all your time and info. Very helpful

Stay safe.

LeftCoast
05-04-2020, 01:15 PM
How many miles? Get the maintenance records or call a dealer and have them run the VIN.

Peacekeeper6
05-04-2020, 01:54 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for your help

Mike

If your friend will allow it, see if you can take it for a long test ride. Do some riding in-town, highways and everything in between, both 1-up and 2-up. You SHOULD be able to determine if buying a Spyder is right for you.

Then, buy the Spyder YOU want. Like RVs or boats, you always want to buy your first bike last. IOW, don't bother trading up because you'll end up losing more money in the end.

ThreeWheels
05-04-2020, 04:45 PM
Thank you all for taking the time to reply and pass along advice. Looks like I should be looking for an RT... No sense in getting the wrong thing and paying the extra to make it what I want.
Appreciate all your time and info. Very helpful

Stay safe.

Good choice.

gkamer
05-04-2020, 11:18 PM
No sense in getting the wrong thing and paying the extra to make it what I want.

Smart thinking.....